16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

Every coach on planet earth who coaches above the high school level is worried about the next two years, and GB could easily be in the convo for super bowl contenders/winners come 2020.  Should be about the most desirable job in football with the exception of maybe the Browns.

Would love to see a flip towards deficient parts of the team (Toub/Richards type hires), and let an OC duke it out with Rodgers over check downs and what not.

Definitely don't think I know better than anyone else but I would love to see them throw the McCarthy era away and start over again from a culture/team building standpoint.  Outside voices from different branches who have absolutely zero attachment to the existing program.

I'd rather watch Richards go 5-11 than watch Philbin go 9-7 if that makes sense.  Looks silly to read it but it's just entertainment and I would rather be enthused by the thought of something new than hold on to the carcass of what we thought it was or think it's supposed to be.

It's been mentioned already but man that loss to Seattle just ruined the trajectory for this era.  Past and present everything is different if they win that game.

A leader of men. 

You can't point to McDaniels successes and disregard his failures. His failures scare the hell out me because they point to NOT being a leader of men. Just because you are a great coordinator does not mean you will be a great head coach. I keep hearing snippets about McDaniels 'greatness' with regard to x's and o's. The only snippets I've heard about McDaniels the man have been horrid. Don't you dare defend his being a bad human being because he was 'only' 30.. Are you serious ? He was also a bad human being last year. What have we heard time and time again about how stressful situations reveal character ? I think McDaniels character has been revealed enough for me. Why have we not heard anything good about McDaniels the man ? McDaniels the teacher ? McDaniels the leader ? Crickets. The problem with hiring McDaniels is that you are getting McDaniels, not Belicheck.

Ask yourself this. When we hear about great head coaches, what are some of their common traits ? How many of those things does McDaniels have ? I'm still at zero.

8 minutes ago, cannondale said:

A leader of men. 

You can't point to McDaniels successes and disregard his failures. His failures scare the hell out me because they point to NOT being a leader of men. Just because you are a great coordinator does not mean you will be a great head coach. I keep hearing snippets about McDaniels 'greatness' with regard to x's and o's. The only snippets I've heard about McDaniels the man have been horrid. Don't you dare defend his being a bad human being because he was 'only' 30.. Are you serious ? He was also a bad human being last year. Why have we not heard anything good about McDaniels the man ? McDaniels the teacher ? McDaniels the leader ? Crickets. 

Ask yourself this. When we hear about great head coaches, what is it the common theme ? How many of those things does McDaniels have ? I'm still at zero.

What about Denver indicates he’s a “bad person”? Did he kick a puppy in Aurora or what?

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

The old guard group isn't going to like McDaniels. The old guard group likes guys like Zimmer.

The thing is, you need an edge-seeker, an arbiter in today's NFL I believe. The margins are too thin. There's too much money. Being straight 100% of the time will yield a little success - but you need a bit of conniving to reach the next level. Someone who will play within the rules, but have a liberal interpretation of the spirit of them. Someone creative, with integrity, but integrity to their understanding.

Or you could have an old guard culture fit like Zimmer or Patrick Fitzgerald or McCarthy.

If McDaniels is hired, I believe we can think Gute is calling the shots. 

You say all of this. And yet, you wanted to keep McCarthy around. So much flip flopping and back peddling on these forums. Lol

At the end of the day, I'm of the same train of thought when it comes to McD.  

There is someone out there who is capable of righting the ship and Murphy and Gute get paid to find him.  An NFL team is gonna make a good coaching hire this offseason and it's on those two to make sure that it's the Packers.  The Fitzgerald interest at least indicates they are willing to step outside the retread box.

I feel the same way about the draft.  Someone picking after you will pick someone better than the player you picked earlier regardless of round and/or slot/value.  Its your job to make sure that happens as infrequently as possible.  

42 minutes ago, hoekd0250 said:

Anyone know what happened in london that year?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Denver_Broncos_season#Videotaping_scandal

On November 27, one day before the team's 36–33 loss to the St. Louis Rams, media reports stated that the Broncos had come under investigation from the NFL, following a videotaping incident similar to the New England Patriots' videotaping controversy of 2007. The Denver Post reported that Steve Scarnecchia, the team's director of video operations hired by then-head coach Josh McDaniels in 2009, videotaped a San Francisco 49ers' walkthrough practice, prior to the teams' Week 8 International Series game at Wembley Stadium in London, England. Scarnecchia, the son of New England Patriots' offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia, worked in the Patriots' (2001–2004) and the New York Jets' (2006–2007) video departments prior to joining the Broncos in 2009. The Denver Post reported he was placed on a leave of absence by the team after the allegation came to light.

Flores only been coordinator for one year and the Patriots defence weren't that great. I think its way too soon to take him seriously as a HC candidate.

Speaking of playoff byes we can interview Kansas, Rams, and Saints coaches next week. I fully expect us to try and speak to Toub - he has to be near at the top of the list.

My current head coach candidates rankings, this will be changed and updated as the weeks go by:

Top Tier: Dave Toub (PC), Pat Fitzgerald (PC), Chris Peterson (PC), Lincoln Riley (PC)

Notch Below Tier: Josh McDaniels (PC), Vic Fangio (PC)David Shaw (PC)Kris RichardMike Pettine (PC), Tom Herman (PC)

Lukewarm Tier: Dabo Swinney (PC), Eric Bieniemy, Jim Schwartz (PC)Matt Campbell (PC),

Bottom Tier: Marquand Manuel, Joe Woods, Dan Campbell (PC), Zac TaylorJim Leonard (PC)Todd Monken (PC), Kevin Stefanski (PC), Raheem Morris (PC), Adam Gase (PC), Jay Gruden (PC), Ken Wistenhunt (PC), Aaron Glenn, Nick Sirianni, Dennis Allen (PC), Darren Rizzi (PC), Todd Bowles (PC), Matt Eberflus (PC), Brian Flores (PC), Kyle Whittingham (PC)

Rock Bottom Do Not Want Tier:  Joe Philbin, Pete Carmichael, Matt LaFleur (PC), Jim Caldwell (PC), Joe LombardiJohn DeFilippo (PC), Rex Ryan (PC), Chuck Pagano (PC)

Ruled out of the running: Mike Shanahan, Bruce Arians, Jim Harbaugh, John Harbaugh

KEY:

Red = NFL offence
Green = NFL defence
Purple = NFL Special Teams
Blue = College offence
Orange = College defence
(PC) = Playcalling Experience

Packers interviewed: Pagano, Caldwell

Requested Interview: McDaniels, Flores. Fitzgerald, Dan Campbell

Candidates for Coordinator roles:

Offence: Dan Campbell (TE), Zac Taylor (QB),  Adam Gase (QB), Jay Gruden (QB), John DeFilippo (QB), Joe Lombardi (QB), Shane Steichen (QB), Mike Kafka (QB), Sean Ryan (QB/WR), Gary Brown (RB), Joel Thomas (RB),  James Saxon (RB),  Freddie Kitchens (RB), Darrell Hazel (WR), Greg Roman (TE), Tom Manning (TE), Justin Peele (TE), Aaron Kromer (OL), Shane Waldron (TE), Mike Munchak (OL), Gary Kubiak (QB), John Morton (WR), Harold Goodwin (OL), Darrell Bevell (QB), Ken Dorsey (QB), Rob Chudzinski (TE), Chad O'Shea (WR)

Defence: Aaron Glenn (DB), Ryan Nielsen (DL), Jay Rodgers (DL), Raheem Morris (DB), Anthony Weaver (DL), Karl Dunbar (DL), Jeff Ulbrich (LB), Adam Zimmer, (LB), Vance Joseph (DB), Steven Wilks (DB), Steve Spagnuolo (DB), Todd Wash (DL), Torrian Gray (DB), Todd Bowles (DB), Jack Del Rio (LB)

Archived