16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

55 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The personalities of those two guys are in such opposition, I think it's far more likely that it's the opposite. 

That McDaniels is disgusted by Gutekunst's "Doing it the right way" mantra and similarly Gutekunst is grossed out by McDaniels "At any cost" philosophy. 

Hm, I've read numerous places that those two are relatively close. I doubt what say is the case.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Out (so far):

Gase (MIA)

Lewis (CIN)

Bowles (NYJ)

The Tampa guy

Joseph (DEN)

Wilks (AZ)

Herein lies the HC competition.....

Packers
Browns
Bengals
Buccaneers
Cardinals
Broncos
Dolphins
Jets

Packers is the bestHC gig followed by Cleveland ( CLE based on talent and roster not owner). Should have their pick of the litter.

So far the teams needing new Head Coaches are Browns, Packers, Jets, Broncos, Miami, Bengals, Tampa and probably Arizona. That's 8 teams.

Lots of competition in a perceived down year for coaching candidates. Out of all these teams only Browns and Packers have a QB for coaches to work with. We also have two 1st round picks as well and that will be an important factor too so we should still be an attractive destination for head coach candidates.

Denver has requested an interview for Mike Munchak and Rex Ryan is interested in Miami. Lots of media guys seem to think McCarthy is the favourite for the Browns. Broncos and Browns are interested in Flores. He seems to be the popular Rooney Rule candidate. 

Gase got the best out of Cutler, I think he’s a great coach because of his in game offensive adjustments. 

He knows how to get offenses going and QBs to get into  rhythm.

I think the biggest issue is the fit between him and Rogers.

5 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

Gase got the best out of Cutler, I think he’s a great coach because of his in game offensive adjustments. 

He knows how to get offenses going and QBs to get into  rhythm.

I think the biggest issue is the fit between him and Rogers.

Everything im reading from Miami fans is that he is bad at getting the best out of his players. He's been really inconsistent with Drake this year a bit like what McCarthy has done with Jones. My biggest issue with Gase that if he were to be hired as our next head coach he will be bringing some of Miami staff over with him. Im not keen on that at all....

13 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Like I said, the old guard isn't going to like McDaniels.

Those who prefer a culture fit over an X's and O's guy won't like the idea of McDaniels here.

First of all - yes I'm old.

I could be wrong, but isn't a head coaching job very similar to heading up a company or any major organization ? Haven't the same principles of success held true since forever ? I don't think this has anything to do with old school vs new school. The question I posed before still stands. What traits does McDaniels have that are similar to all of the successful head coaches we have seen throughout the years ? We know he will cheat. We know his people skills suck. We know he will hang his fellow man out to dry. We know he can alienate an entire team and front office. That's not what I think we need. If that makes me old school, so be it

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

First of all - yes I'm old.

I could be wrong, but isn't a head coaching job very similar to heading up a company or any major organization ? Haven't the same principles of success held true since forever ? I don't think this has anything to do with old school vs new school. The question I posed before still stands. What traits does McDaniels have that are similar to all of the successful head coaches we have seen throughout the years ?

I'd say its more VP/executive team level more so than like a CEO/Chair of the board. You're in a leadership role, but there are likely at least 2 people above you. An owner ( or de factor owner like Murphy) and a GM.

While a shiny new offense is important, the offense wasn’t the reason this team missed the playoffs. At least not the only reason. I think Green Bay needs to find a coach who can get these guys to play sound defense.  The offense actually moved the ball well enough but the defense gave up far to many easy yards and missed far too many tackles. Special teams cost the team dearly this year too. Maybe 2 or 3 games lost due to special teams. (LA, Detroit 2x). 

1 minute ago, ReadyToThump said:

I was talking to my buddy yesterday; if Mike Tomlin got fired somehow he would be my #1 candidate. Always like him as a coach, and I feel we need a passionate coach that can light a fire under this teams ***. Something McCarthy failed badly at. 

Man, I don't know. Tomlin has missed the playoffs with some really talented teams.

Boy.  I'm pretty thrilled that Gase is in the coaching pool.  

He has worked well with quarterbacks in the past.  Gotten great years out of Peyton, Cutler and now Tannehill.  

He is the guy I want.  He gives you the young, offensive mind you want at head coach.  He's kind of a quarterback whisperer.  And he's been a head coach.  He knows what it takes to succeed.  And he comes without the baggage of McDaniels.

I can get excited about either Gase or McDaniels, but much more with Gase.

Gase is the one I want.  Let him determine if Pettine stays or goes.  I'd be doing backflips (or at least trying) if GB were to get Gase and Bowles as DC.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Boy.  I'm pretty thrilled that Gase is in the coaching pool.  

He has worked well with quarterbacks in the past.  Gotten great years out of Peyton, Cutler and now Tannehill.  

He is the guy I want.  He gives you the young, offensive mind you want at head coach.  He's kind of a quarterback whisperer.  And he's been a head coach.  He knows what it takes to succeed.  And he comes without the baggage of McDaniels.

I can get excited about either Gase or McDaniels, but much more with Gase.

Gase is the one I want.  Let him determine if Pettine stays or goes.  I'd be doing backflips (or at least trying) if GB were to get Gase and Bowles as DC.

I like Gase a good deal, but I think to say he knows what it takes to succeed as a HC is a stretch. He just got canned as his first stint as a HC.

Archived