Denver Broncos @ San Francisco 49ers GDT

broncosfan07

34 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

Was reading that Sherman doesn't shadow, plays left side of the field, not sure if that's true or not

He doesn't normally - but SF's been so bad, it's kind of been pointless if they face teams that have multiple weapons.   

The one time they faced a team that only really had one weapon - Green Bay and Davante Adams.   And they started off with Sherman being static - but in the 4Q, they had Sherman cover Adams in shadow, and even in the slot on the last drive.

Now, maybe they don't scout DEN well enough, and Sherman stays static.   But given what I saw vs. GB, I think it's a much higher likelihood than when it was Sanders & Sutton.  Of course, if SF stays static, then it's a much better chance for Sutton to dominate the other CB.   

6 hours ago, broncofan48 said:

Was reading that Sherman doesn't shadow, plays left side of the field, not sure if that's true or not

To follow up on your Q - I asked the SF FF members, and they confirmed that the GB adjustment happened with D-Adams....and then never again.   It's apparently a sore spot with some of them (I can imagine why lol).  

So while it seems obvious, sounds like they won't shadow Sutton with Sherman, and Sutton will get to face CB Witherspoon a fair amount.   That in theory should be our biggest plus matchup on paper, although Witherspoon's play has been better of late.     

Well it looks like SF will get their 2 fastest WR's together - I think Pettis is their biggest weapon now, so in a way, if Goodwin somehow takes snaps away from him, that's actually a blessing for DEN's D - but I don't think that happens, I think we see Goodwin outside and Pettis in the slot more.    The matchup definitely got a lot more interesting with CHJ and Sanders out now.  Still, their secondary is just horrible, and our pass rush should force mistakes from Mullens...but it's probably a lot closer that the original DEN -6 on road would imply.

Where Kyle Shanahan has killed this team as an OC in the past is with RBs catching passes.  Breida is a good runner and is out for the game, but Jeff Wilson Jr.  who is their 3rd or 4th string RB had 8 catches last week.

7 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Where Kyle Shanahan has killed this team as an OC in the past is with RBs catching passes.  Breida is a good runner and is out for the game, but Jeff Wilson Jr.  who is their 3rd or 4th string RB had 8 catches last week.

And keep in mind they have no problem using Jusczyk, too.   I don't know that Wilson is big enough to be the main guy, any touches they give to Alf Morris only helps us - but they might give some extra touches to the 5th RB, Daye (actually, he's 6th, since it was McKinnon 1st, Breida 2nd, Mostert 3rd,  Wilson Jr. 4th, Daye 5th...lol).

This is still a game we should win on paper, but the gap certainly narrowed to where it's not a comfortable assessment.

10 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

And keep in mind they have no problem using Jusczyk, too.   I don't know that Wilson is big enough to be the main guy, any touches they give to Alf Morris only helps us - but they might give some extra touches to the 5th RB, Daye (actually, he's 6th, since it was McKinnon 1st, Breida 2nd, Mostert 3rd,  Wilson Jr. 4th, Daye 5th...lol).

This is still a game we should win on paper, but the gap certainly narrowed to where it's not a comfortable assessment.

Yep.  Kittle as well.  RBs and TEs were his bread and butter when they shredded us 2 years ago and while they don’t have the QB or RB talent the falcons had, they have enough to give us problems.

Archived