Thoughts on ZERO RBs strategy

NcFinest9erFan

Zero RB works great in theory IF YOU HIT on good RBs later. For instance...if you have Lindsay, Chubb, Conner, A. Jones, White, and Cohen you could be doing pretty well right now. But you have to look at probability of getting three of those guys. Not to mention that Conner and Lindsay have been the only two to have sustained success through the season...the others took a while to get going or get playing time. 

I have lots of Kamara and McCaffrey...and have no regrets. I also have lots of Conner and Jones...so I usually have a very solid 4 RBs on my team. 

20 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Zero RB works great in theory IF YOU HIT on good RBs later. For instance...if you have Lindsay, Chubb, Conner, A. Jones, White, and Cohen you could be doing pretty well right now. But you have to look at probability of getting three of those guys. Not to mention that Conner and Lindsay have been the only two to have sustained success through the season...the others took a while to get going or get playing time. 

I have lots of Kamara and McCaffrey...and have no regrets. I also have lots of Conner and Jones...so I usually have a very solid 4 RBs on my team. 

so my home league is a bit different. We keep one player year in and year out but every 3rd year we can throw our keeper back in the pool and pick a new one(random order). I am picking fourth next year so It made me think of zero RBs. I could potentially pair 2 of these WRs AB\Nuke\Mike Thomas\Thielen\Keenan\Davante together next year. 

1 minute ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I did this in one of my leagues this year. Started off 1-5 and have gone 5-2 since I traded for Zeke and Kerryon. So.....

+1. That's another thing too that I thought about. Worst case, I have two WR1s and I could send away 1 for a WR2 and a RB1/2 if the things don't start off too good.

3 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I did this in one of my leagues this year. Started off 1-5 and have gone 5-2 since I traded for Zeke and Kerryon. So.....

I actually did this one my second home league but the scoring is a bit different. In this league, WRs score a bit more so I kept Odell and draft Nuke and Hilton. All the RBs I Drafted I dropped lol. (Alex Collins, Alfred Morris, Dion Lewis,  Jamaal Williams, Peyton Barber, Burkhead) but I was able to pick up James Conner, someone dropped Cohen so I took a chance on him and I was first in line to pick up Chubb and I made a trade to get Phillip Lindsay so right now i'm the #1 seed and it also helps that I took a chance on Mahomes too so the points he scored made up for the terrible RBs to start off the year. 

Ill never understand the zero RB strategy. I know there are Lindsay types out there each year but thats banking on a helluva lot to become good enough to win a championship. Why do that to yourself instead of just drafting normal + taking fliers on breakout guys.

I find the best draft method is 3 things. 1) Wait on drafting a QB. 2) Pair proven talent with breakout candidates 3) Reach on DEF/K. 

Having a good #1 option and pairing him with a breakout guy is the method I found that has by far led to the most success for me. That and wait till the mid-late rounds for QBs while everybody blows top 3 rounders on Brees/Rodgers/Cam/Brady. The point differential on a weekly basis between DEF and Kickers is suprisingly large. Its the difference in the 10-20 points every week that wins and loses games.. Which is why Im usually the 1st person to reach and grab a DEF/K in rounds 10-12 and not 15. Whats more important, a weekly starter or your 4th or 5th RB lol

Typically I like to snag one of the top work horse RBs (zeke, bell, hunt, gurley etc) then go WR heavy rounds 2-6, then RBs in the mid-late rounds. If you don't get one of the top runners then you go WR and then you need to be looking at tier 2 guys like D freeman etc in the second or third round

I pride myself on being able to get RBs on the wire late in the year. I also can usually find gems late in the draft too. 

There are a ton of guys out there right now who can fill in at RB - Samuel, Jackson, Wilson Jr, Kenneth Dixon, etc. RBs take such a beating that there are bound to be injuries and unlike WRs, when a RB is a starter he has guaranteed production. If a WR goes down sometimes the replacement comes in and the QB doesn't trust him or doesn't look for him and the production drop off is large. 

Its all about balance to your roster. I think its better to have one RB you can play regardless of matchup then try to have 2-3 guys that can fill in at that other spot. 

I am 12-1 in a league where I went: Hunt, Hopkins (9th pick 10 man league), Diggs, Hill, Sanders. So I had one top tier RB and then four horses at WR (two flex league so all four can play). Then I took a couple of RBs (Dion Lewis, Michel) who I knew would have roles on their teams, solid floor with good upside. Then I took TE, QB, and then took some other runners with upside like Breida and young WRs going into their second or third year (golladay namely). 

(I was 12-0 with mahomes hunt hill butker leading the charge but dropped a game this week)

10 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

This year i have literally just hoarded RB's. You can never have too many in fantasy. Between injuries, suspensions and TMZ videos, i have basically needed them all. 

I think that's a great strategy every year. Regardless of need, if there is a top notch RB available in a non-auction league, put him in as your #1. Odds are you have someone worth dropping. 

Yeah I think I like a variation of zero RB. Get one RB1 then pick your WRs/TEs before addressing RB2 and honestly this used to be my strategy in my home league till I went BPA and the results are pretty one sided. The past two years I've done BPA and I have gone 12-14 with one playoff appearance before I was typically one of the top four teams going RB\WR\WR\TE\WR. 

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I think that's a great strategy every year. Regardless of need, if there is a top notch RB available in a non-auction league, put him in as your #1. Odds are you have someone worth dropping. 

I tried to do that this year but sadly I  picked all the wrong ones to stash outside of Aaron Jones lol.

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:10 AM, NcFinest9erFan said:

RB\WR\WR\TE\WR. 

i think I'll go thus route in future. 

I'll add grabbing top 2 kicker early. the variation in this spot will make me want to land a "set it & forget it" guy. 

I'm in the playoffs this year with only 2 original draft picks (Gordon #12, Fournette #13) .. pretty much everyone else had been raw pickups. 

On 12/5/2018 at 6:09 AM, CriminalMind said:

i think I'll go thus route in future. 

I'll add grabbing top 2 kicker early. the variation in this spot will make me want to land a "set it & forget it" guy. 

I'm in the playoffs this year with only 2 original draft picks (Gordon #12, Fournette #13) .. pretty much everyone else had been raw pickups. 

Going kicker early is tough though too because the variance in a kicker from year to year. You can almost always pick up a guy in FA mid season also that will be top 5 in scoring. Tucker, for example is the only kicker from last year's top 5 that is still top 5. Meanwhile, I picked up Fairbairn mid-season and he is top 3 in my league right now. There is also a top 10 points kicker available in FA at the moment also in my league. It is underrated to get a K you can trust, but enough people look past it all season that you can usually do this on the fly.

Archived