DC getting an XFL team

naptownskinsfan

I think this is bigger than the off-topic thread, but if the mods wish to merge it, thats cool as well.  

Vince McMahon's new venture, Alpha Entertainment, is bringing back the XFL.  He is set to have a press conference officially announcing the teams and locations, but their website already leaked the location, one of which is Washington DC.  The rumor is that this XFL team, which will play in the winter to spring of 2020, will share Audi Field with DC United.  

Personally, I'm very intrigued for this, and think if they try and make it football with a couple tweaks here and there, instead of making it sports entertainment like the original XFL, it could do very well.  And with McMahon set to invest upwards of $500 million in the league, he is clearly intent on being in it for the long-haul. 

18 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I think it’s cool but I just don’t understand how it’s going to last? 

If they position themselves as a football alternative, and not just WWE style football, it will do well.  They aren't looking to fill NFL sized venues- Audi Field only seats 20,000 people.  People have walked away from viewing the NFL right now for a variety of reasons, and this has the chance to stick if they do it right- again, not WWE style football, but a legit alternative that has few rule differencials. 

They also picked their locations fairly well- big metro areas, and where football is very popular.  I could see a lot of college talent that is overlooked at the NFL level looking to play in the XFL.  

15 hours ago, Woz said:

The real questions are:

1. When will they schedule the season?
  2. Can the players in this league get out of their contracts to sign with the NFL?

I believe they said February and March, so it could essentially be something that NFL teams use as a scouting source.  Might learn quite a bit more today after the press conference.  

On 12/4/2018 at 4:39 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

If they position themselves as a football alternative, and not just WWE style football, it will do well.  They aren't looking to fill NFL sized venues- Audi Field only seats 20,000 people.  People have walked away from viewing the NFL right now for a variety of reasons, and this has the chance to stick if they do it right- again, not WWE style football, but a legit alternative that has few rule differencials. 

They also picked their locations fairly well- big metro areas, and where football is very popular.  I could see a lot of college talent that is overlooked at the NFL level looking to play in the XFL.  

DC United said they don’t want them playing at Audi field. I think they should play at a local college field.

Archived