Week 14 GDT: Time to get bucked by the Broncos!

N4L

2 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

How is that possible though? They beat us...twice!

Ok, and we beat the raiders and the raiders beat them. All three teams have three wins 

How exactly do you plan on implementing head to head in this scenario? 

17 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

https://twitter.com/PGutierrezESPN/status/1071950924757786625?s=20

FWIW. This would explain why we are sitting at no.1 if accurate.

My guess is that these are the actual "up to date SOS" figures. Sites like tank-a-thon consider the entire season already, including games that haven't been played yet. So for example, in this scenario, we are missing games against the Rams, Bears, and Seattle. that would certainly decrease our SOS. In the cardinals case, they are missing games against Atlanta, the Rams, and Seattle. The difference between the Bears and Atlanta obviously accounting for the difference there. 

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

My guess is that these are the actual "up to date SOS" figures. Sites like tank-a-thon consider the entire season already, including games that haven't been played yet. So for example, in this scenario, we are missing games against the Rams, Bears, and Seattle. that would certainly decrease our SOS. In the cardinals case, they are missing games against Atlanta, the Rams, and Seattle. The difference between the Bears and Atlanta obviously accounting for the difference there. 

Correct, they are up to date SOS, something I was referring to earlier. But our SOS is obviously going to change big time after the next three games against SEA/CHI/LAR. Man, we can really go from having the #1 overall pick to like the 6th overall pick with another one. Have to be careful during the final stretch.

Rams losing today was good. Now little chance either the Saints or Rams clinch the #1 seed before week 17. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Correct, they are up to date SOS, something I was referring to earlier. But our SOS is obviously going to change big time after the next three games against SEA/CHI/LAR. Man, we can really go from having the #1 overall pick to like the 6th overall pick with another one. Have to be careful during the final stretch.

Rams losing today was good. Now little chance either the Saints or Rams clinch the #1 seed before week 17. 

The thing that sucks is that the Cards' non common opponents have basically bottomed out. I don't know what's going on in ATL, but they are checked out. Thankfully though, someone has to win that game next week (and even a tie would be beneficial for us), and I think Washington is just toast. I mean, when you're on qb4, I can't really expect you to win another game lol

On the flip side, the Giants are playing their best football of the year, and the Bucs defense is actually playing their best football of the year. 

Didn't see the game. Kittle is having the best year in 49ers history, and it's on a terrible squad. I hope he shines better with Jimmy G next year. 

The team might be murdered their last three games though. Seahawks, Bears, and Rams. Good for securing the top draft spot. Only three more weeks, and the nightmare is over. 

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Mitchell played zero snaps I believe. Or at least I didn't notice him in the game. And we pretty much controlled Lindsay who was on a tear. Um, it took Saleh THIS long to figure this out? 

Pettis is emerging as a reliable 3rd down WR. Did have that one drop but he's the guy Mullens has been looking at on 3rd downs. That route running is not normal. I compared his route running to Doug Baldwin before the draft and I stick with that. Both have unreal releases and are a problem on two way routes. Pettis needs to get a bit stronger though. 

DJ Reed was super physical and made play after play. What happens next week if Williams is healthy? I was confident from day one that Reed and Warner would be good players and deliver. It hasn't worked for Reed at FS, but he is much better at corner. Now finally getting his shot. 

McGlinchey and Staley were very good in pass protection all game long. Miller got that one sack when McGlinchey was held but that was about it. Chubb got his sacks off a stunt and on Person I believe.

Marcel Harris was also good in both against the run and pass. Intrigued to see him the rest of the way. Could flash like Colbert did last year. 

Solomon Thomas got the interior rushes with Day out and was the first game all season he was getting after the QB. Missed two sacks he should have had and then committed a stupid roughing the passer penalty. Though nice move splitting the double team lol.

Spoon once again had a strong game on coverage. But once again had a penalty…. This time definitely warranted with his trip lol. 

Wilson didn't have a monster game or anything, but was running hard just like last week. Needs to protect the ball better but nice UDFA. 

Kittle was Kittle, no further analysis needed here. Special player. 

Lastly, Mullens played well. Going back to the 2nd half of the Seahawks game, he's starting to get in a rhythm. Has nice chemistry with Pettis and was making good decisions for the most part. If he can do this the rest of the season, then he very well may be our back next year. Fair to say we have seen the last of Beathard for the season unless Mullens gets hurt. 

Thanks for the breakdown of the studs and duds. Like I said in my previous post, I didn't see the game, so this is helpful. Since Mitchell didn't get any snaps, did DJ Jones get any? 

2 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Thanks for the breakdown of the studs and duds. Like I said in my previous post, I didn't see the game, so this is helpful. Since Mitchell didn't get any snaps, did DJ Jones get any? 

Yes. He played very well. Helped shut down Lindsay right at the point of attack. Very impressive in a few plays

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Yes. He played very well. Helped shut down Lindsay right at the point of attack. Very impressive in a few plays

I guess Mitchell is gone next year then right? Because I've heard more than once that Jones should have gotten the nod over Mitchell. Since before the season even. I guess Mitchell got the OG treatment. 

Just now, PapaShogun said:

I guess Mitchell is gone next year then right? Because I've heard more than once that Jones should have gotten the nod over Mitchell. Since before the season even. I guess Mitchell got the OG treatment. 

I thought Jones was excellent in the preseason, but that can be hard to gauge given the uneven level of competition. I won't blame them for making that call to start. But if Jones plays the remainder of the season and plays like he did today, there's definitely no reason for Mitchell to be on this roster next year

Great first half! That showed what these guys could possibly do. But why play this uninspired in the second? I mean, when we trail, our second half adjustments are usually a little better. But every time we go into the half with a lead, our adjustments in the second are just terrible. It's like we're not accounting for the other teams adjusting their gameplan... I understand wanting to run the ball more and control the clock, but not at the expense of not moving the chains and giving the ball back every single drive. Just playaction on one of these first downs, just to keep the defense honest, then keep running the ball to wear them down. But I feel like we ran on first and second downs every time in the third quarter, and into the fourth, with very limited efficacy. 

Mullens makes very good decisions, for the most part, but the accuracy is off. Can't wait to see this offense go with Jimmy hitting receivers in the numbers, instead of below the belt. Kyle can pretend that Nick and CJ are even, but let's be honest, they aren't.

It was disappointing that Kittle didn't get to break the record, but he just wasn't open on the few instances we actually threw the ball in the second half. It's one of these adjustments the Broncos made that we didn't counter.

DJ Reed, wow. Finally, that's what we expected of him. Hopefully it's signs of what's to come. Spoon played great. Someone mentioned him getting a penalty again, but I'm more than okay with it. It wasn't even a coverage penalty, but a tackling penalty. I didn't even remember tripping penalties existed in football, that surprised me. Come to think of it, it may be the second tripping penalty I've seen this year (yet I didn't remember it at first). Spoon took that penalty for trying to hard and made a stupid move. But at least he wanted to make a play, it was just the wrong way to go about it. Marcell Harris played well! Once we figure out who the starters, he'll be a nice back-up to have. He or Colbert. Who knows.

Fun first half! But damn, that second half left a bitter aftertaste. Could we play 4 good quarters of football? Or even just 3?

13 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Mullens makes very good decisions, for the most part, but the accuracy is off. Can't wait to see this offense go with Jimmy hitting receivers in the numbers, instead of below the belt. Kyle can pretend that Nick and CJ are even, but let's be honest, they aren't.

For one, I actually enjoy watching the team with Mullens, limited as he is. It looks like an offense that knows what it is trying to do. C.J., not so much (though he has had his one or two really good games, usually by hitting a deep ball or three against a terrible/young/checked out secondary).

45 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Great first half! That showed what these guys could possibly do. But why play this uninspired in the second? I mean, when we trail, our second half adjustments are usually a little better. But every time we go into the half with a lead, our adjustments in the second are just terrible. It's like we're not accounting for the other teams adjusting their gameplan... I understand wanting to run the ball more and control the clock, but not at the expense of not moving the chains and giving the ball back every single drive. Just playaction on one of these first downs, just to keep the defense honest, then keep running the ball to wear them down. But I feel like we ran on first and second downs every time in the third quarter, and into the fourth, with very limited efficacy. 

It was disappointing that Kittle didn't get to break the record, but he just wasn't open on the few instances we actually threw the ball in the second half. It's one of these adjustments the Broncos made that we didn't counter.

DJ Reed, wow. Finally, that's what we expected of him. Hopefully it's signs of what's to come. Spoon played great. Someone mentioned him getting a penalty again, but I'm more than okay with it. It wasn't even a coverage penalty, but a tackling penalty. I didn't even remember tripping penalties existed in football, that surprised me. Come to think of it, it may be the second tripping penalty I've seen this year (yet I didn't remember it at first). Spoon took that penalty for trying to hard and made a stupid move. But at least he wanted to make a play, it was just the wrong way to go about it. Marcell Harris played well! Once we figure out who the starters, he'll be a nice back-up to have. He or Colbert. Who knows.

Fun first half! But damn, that second half left a bitter aftertaste. Could we play 4 good quarters of football? Or even just 3?

Just be happy we got two quarters worth of good play. 

But yeah, the second half was disappointing. The offense did nothing and while the defense was still solid, the Broncos finally started to get some things going. Can't be allowing those 4th down conversions that we did. 

I totally forgot but Mitchell wasn't the only veteran that didn't play a snap, Malcom Smith didn't either. I don't think it was a coincidence that you saw more athleticism and energy with the youngsters than we have at any point this season. 

Williams may be the next casualty of being the healthy veteran who gets no time next game. Not that he has been bad or anything, but you HAVE to play Reed after his performance yesterday. 

Archived