2019 Head Coach carousel

jetskid007

23 minutes ago, Rich51 said:

I was just reading that Kyle Shanahan broke into coaching as a graduate  assistant under Karl Darrell when he was HC at UCLA. Now I’m even more upset that we didn’t fire Bowles at the break and put Dorrell in charge. Maybe he could have won the job. At this point I want a HC coach, preferably under 50, that will put the focus on protecting Darnold with a better OL and offensive weapons. 

God forbid we hire a 51 year old coach.  

1 hour ago, KingOfTheDot said:

The game has changed yet these explosive offenses that every wants are beginning to slow down. 

Also Shanahan again has a ton of positives we can’t just overlook. 

This obsession with a young offensive mind is scary. 

I don't think they're slowing down. 13 QB's are projected to throw for 4000+ yards.  Last year, 8 accomplished that.  The year before, 5 years ago, 9 accomplished that.  10 years ago, 6 accomplished that.  I don't know how many more will do it, but not so sure it's really slowed down.

1 hour ago, Rich51 said:

I was just reading that Kyle Shanahan broke into coaching as a graduate  assistant under Karl Darrell when he was HC at UCLA. Now I’m even more upset that we didn’t fire Bowles at the break and put Dorrell in charge. Maybe he could have won the job. At this point I want a HC coach, preferably under 50, that will put the focus on protecting Darnold with a better OL and offensive weapons. 

Age doesn't matter for the most part IMO

2 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

Age doesn't matter for the most part IMO

Some guys seek for coach that can stay with Jets for 10 years.  Age may be a factor to them.   I have no problem with it but knowing Jets, it is really difficult to believe that.

2 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Some guys seek for coach that can stay with Jets for 10 years.  Age may be a factor to them.   I have no problem with it but knowing Jets, it is really difficult to believe that.

I mean, yeah, a guy like Couglin doesn’t make sense. But a guy in his 50’s is fine. 

3 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

I don't think they're slowing down. 13 QB's are projected to throw for 4000+ yards.  Last year, 8 accomplished that.  The year before, 5 years ago, 9 accomplished that.  10 years ago, 6 accomplished that.  I don't know how many more will do it, but not so sure it's really slowed down.

Have you seen the last few weeks? Defense is starting to take over again. Bears knocked off the Rams, Ravens had the Chiefs within inches. 

Trust me I want a better offense I’m just not bound to a young offensive mind as much as others. 

1 hour ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Have you seen the last few weeks? Defense is starting to take over again. Bears knocked off the Rams, Ravens had the Chiefs within inches. 

Trust me I want a better offense I’m just not bound to a young offensive mind as much as others. 

I think pigeonholing ourselves to a coach who is an expert on one side or another is a mistake. I think they should pick the person who has the best vision and the person who gives them the most confidence in the sense that they will build a top-notch staff. 

I will continue to say it will be John Harbaugh until it doesn't happen. In my heart-of-hearts that is the person I believe they will hire. If it's not him, they should seek to hire someone of his ilk. Hearing more and more  the Jets will try to lure Jim away from Michigan, which shouldn't surprise because they tried hiring him in 2014. 

2 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

There's lulls like that every year though.  Offense is still very high powered right now.

13 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I agree with you. At this time of the year the defense needs to be able to make stopsAlthough I said I prefer a coach under50, i’m not insisting (I feel a young coach might better relate to a young team and also, if good, can last a long time and bring a good relationship with Darnold,  wishfully hoping to find the next Belichick, Payton, Shula, Landry etc).

I though Mangini had a good thing going with Pennington: until Woody got involved. He was a defensive coach but one who was behind the drafting of Brick, Mangold and Alex Mack. It seems to me that a lot of new coaches specialize in one side of the ball while I want one that realizes he is the HC of a football team not an offensive team or defensive team. I think Rex and Todd forgot that and went way overboard on the defensive side. Right now providing Darnold with OL protection and at least one more offensive weapon should be a priority. 

15 hours ago, mattmanz91 said:

Baltimore Ravens (@Ravens) Tweeted:
Statement from the Baltimore Ravens: https://t.co/NSog0QWx1P https://twitter.com/Ravens/status/1076265668406693890?s=17

Crap.

I still want a former HC , but there isn't a lot of options out there. I know I'll get killed for this, but Jack Del Rio is growing on me. Only had 3 years with the raiders, but went 12-4 in the 2nd. 

I'm pretty much down to McCarthy, Pete CarMichael, Del Rio, John DeFilippo, and Kris Richard as far as coaches I would be interested in. I don't think JD was the problem and it's not like his numbers were bad. Top 10 passing attack. It was Cousins missing big plays towards the end of games. I love KR's energy and what he has done as a play caller with the Cowboys. Besides needing a GM that can bring talent, we need a coach that understands systems on both sides of the ball.  

Archived