I KNOW we have going into next year:

• Aaron Jones, RB extraoirdinaire
  • Davante Adams, legit #1 WR
  • ESB, decent route runner with hands and length
  • MVS, flashy YAC with surprising hands and skills for a mid rounder
  • J'Mon Moore - unrefined athlete
  • Jimmy Graham - Mismatch TE who can't block but doesn't need to
  • Jamaal Williams - future All-Pro FB

I'm pretty sure that if we had anything like a JuJu Smith-Schuster or a Cooper Kupp, this team would be a top 2 offense and there would be no need to even talk about MVS/ESB/Moore outside of their occasional big plays as role players.  We have our Marvin Harrison/Reggie Wayne and pierre garcon/anthony gonzalez/Branden Stokley, we need our reggie wayne or Dallas Clark.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

But why?  I'd rather spend money on a defender than a WR or TE. 

Graham is here for 2019 and possibly 2020.  What is in the works after him?

At some point, signing or drafting a younger TE as a eventual replacement at the position is needed.  

We are paying Aaron Rodgers to not need another one of those.  Gute did exactly what he needed to do.  Draft three mid-late round receivers with potential who might take time, but have high ceilings.  That's what you get for the next four years.  Considering both ESB and MVS are on pace to wildly exceed historical late round receiver choices, we are fine at receiver.

You do not pay a QB more than any other QB in the history of the NFL and decide you need to invest more to help him be better.  You expect him to do more with less.  That's why he's getting paid. 

You expect him to take care of the offense (especially when it already has a legit top 5 in the NFL option and a legit top 1 pass blocker).  You put your money into the defensive side of the ball. 

If Rodgers can't get it done with a legitimate running threat, the best pass blocking left tackle in the NFL, a legitimate top 5 WR in the NFL, a veteran tight end who still has athleticism and ability if he gets the ball to him (check Rodgers V AZ thread) and three promising young receivers with a high potential for a second year jump (especially MVS), you don't pay a QB that money and Rodgers is robbing us. 

• Like 2

Just now, squire12 said:

Graham is here for 2019 and possibly 2020.  What is in the works after him?

At some point, signing or drafting a younger TE as a eventual replacement at the position is needed.  

I mean, going after a FA TE seems like a fruitless endeavor.  We've discussed it ad nauseam, but the FA class is highlighted by Tyler Eifert and Jared Cook.  So you're looking to the draft.  Are you going to use a 2nd round pick on a guy whose really going to have limited help in 2019?  If I'm looking at an EDGE/CB/S or a TE in the 2nd round and value is there, I'm taking someone from the former group.  I'd rather take a flier on an athletic type with good hands later in the draft.

Third round seems to be the best spot to get a TE of the future.  Tight ends take time, and the third round produces some of the best. 

Kelce, Reed, Finley, lots of other tight ends taken in round 3.  I think there are a lot more.  Graham is fine for a year with a promising rookie as well. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Third round seems to be the best spot to get a TE of the future.  Tight ends take time, and the third round produces some of the best. 

Kelce, Reed, Finley, lots of other tight ends taken in round 3.  I think there are a lot more.  Graham is fine for a year with a promising rookie as well. 

Here Outpost being the voice of reason.  Who would have thought?

• Like 1

Drafting TE is fine. No immediate need there if Graham doesn't go anywhere. On the other hand I think anyone who thinks we are okay at WR with Adams, MVS, ESB, Allison, Moore is straight bat-**** crazy. 

I'd be targeting the top tier of WRs in free agency, just like we targeted Robinson last year. That's a fairly big need on this team. 

Use FA to get a WR, S (or 2) and maybe a G. 

Use draft to target EDGE and smaller needs at other positions. No need to draft another WR, we have too many young guys as it is. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 1

Just now, CWood21 said:

Here Outpost being the voice of reason.  Who would have thought?

I am always the voice of reason.  I am the most reasonable person here.  Really though, I have always thought that round 3 was the best spot to get a tight end, round 2 the best spot to get a WR. 

As this team stands now, I am not okay with a receiver in round 2.  The benefit of a second round receiver in year one is not as good nor as promising as MVS/ESB in round two.

Tight end though... We do need a future investment there.  Free agency is going to be a present investment, I don't want to go there.  We've got that in Jimmy (who is going to make a lot of impatient fools look really, really, really stupid next year).  After next year though, Jimmy will be old reliable more than field-stretcher weapon. 

Invest in the third round TE now and give yourself 4-5 splash plays in two tight end sets out of him and about 10-14 more receptions in his rookie year.  In his second year, while Jimmy is playing the role of reliable veteran who knows where Rodgers wants him, that second year TE is going to be good for 8-9 splash plays and 30-40 receptions.  By year three of his career, you expect him to break out. 

Everything I preach on this site revolves around three principles: Patience, healthy cap, draft capital. 

Signing a free agent tight end when you just did that in each of the last three seasons completely kills healthy cap and patience. 
Drafting a future investment in the third round falls directly in line with those three principles.  Patiently wait for an athletic, not ready prospect to turn into a threat, keeps your cap healthy, and doesn't waste draft capital by using a first or second round pick.

First/second round picks you expect to start in year one.  That means for the Packers, first/second round picks this year should be at EDGE, OT, S.  Maybe IOL in round two if Bulaga is expected to remain at RT.

With Rodgers getting paid more than any other QB, we cannot waste more cap space on offense, and we have to expect him to lift up his teammates on that side of the ball. 

The only places we should look on offense in free agency is in extreme bargains for receivers who want to play with Rodgers and are willing to take a discount to do it. 

• Like 1

I agree.  This offense has went through long stretches of embarrassing play in large part because of the lack of talent at WR.  It is BY FAR the worst group Rodgers has ever had to deal with.  While we are paying Cobb and Graham a lot of money, both looked incredible old this year.  Neither consistently got any sort of separation this year which require perfection from AR12 when targeting.  

The idea that Aaron Rodgers should be able to make any warm body into an all pro because he makes a lot of money is laughable.  While the rookies looked Ok at times, they've been almost useless for the majority of the season.  Going into next year needing one of those sophomores to develop into a star overnight is a receipt for disaster.  

• Like 3