Week 15 GDT: Seattle Seahawks at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

2 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

See, I completely disagree. Fans always want to use this notion that winning meaningless games hurts your chance of drafting better talent. Just because you draft higher doesn't mean you're picking better players. If you do your homework, you can get talent wherever you draft. The talent discrepancy between #2 overall and say #7 overall isnt as vast as some make it out to be. It depends on the class and talent pool within it but mostly it's not a huge disparity in talent overall. I remember some of our fanbase were up in arms last year about us going on that 5 game win streak with Jimmy G and screwing up us picking in the top 3. Yet we found one of the best young tackles in all of football and the heir apparent to Staley, whenever he hangs them up. Fans were grumbling when won the last game of the year back in 2015 against the Rams, which knocked us out of the top 5. But we still managed to land one of the most disruptive DTs in all of football. So miss me with this notion that you can't draft impact talent unless your picking top three. 

I'm a fan that puts stock into wins, not draft position. I will never care about tanking for the best possible player. At the end of the day I want to be able to go into work on a Monday and talk football and not have hear it from other fanbases about who we're taking in the draft instead of yesterday's game. I ALWAYS want see us victorious...that's how I think it should be. Snapping that 10 game losing streak to the Hawks is a big deal IMHO. lts not a huge deal but players and fans should be happy about not only ending the streak but keeping a divisional rival from clinching a playoff berth. It's always enjoyable beating teams like the Hawks, Cowboys, Steelers, and Giants personally. And the losses to those teams sting just a little more than others also.

It's not necessarily about picking the better player for certain. Or who will pan out. It's about having the choice of who you want at that point in time. Obviously you can get talent all over the draft. Never said you can't. But having more opinions, i.e. having a bigger choice of who you get to pick, is just better for you. There is no upside to having a lower pick since the initial choices of you want out the gate is diminished. 

Yeah we got Mike McGlinchy and Deforest Buckner. We also got Solomon Thomas instead of Myles Garrett. Would Colts fans have wanted to win in December of 2011 to screw themselves out of getting Andrew Luck? Had they won out, it would have helped their division rivals in the long term more than anything. Don't think Colts fans would be strolling into work all chipper the morning the Rams got the first pick instead of them because they won a meaningless game in December against Jacksonville. Hindsight can be played all day. I'm talking about before the results are even known, and all you have are your draft evaluations, draft positioning, and draft choices. 

Ultimately, it's not about if players will pan out. No one can predict that. Having the advantage if picking who you want first is just more logical though. Players 9 months from now aren't going to be popping bottles in the club over their 4th win the previous December. It will be a new year, with new personnel. They'll be looking forward to the new year regardless of what kind of season they had the previous year. How well your roster is will determine your fate. This win doesn't help the 49ers get closer to a championship. The only caveat to screwing yourselves late in the draft would be a franchise QB getting experience like Jimmy G. Since a QB is a franchise, and their development trumps anything else. Which is why I didn't mind the win streak. Franchise quarterbacks are the only true semblance of hope in the NFL.

We are two different types of fans obviously.

You play to win, period. All the hard work, dedication, and preparation you put in is so you can come away with a win. If you have played sports competitively, at any level you understand. Go tell Sherm or Shanny to keep losing so that they can have better 'options' in the draft. Losing sucks. Especially if you're a competitor. Especially if you're trying to build or erect a championship culture. The bottom line is wins and losses at the end of the day. Nobody's poppin bottles to securing #1 overall draft picks. But I bet a bunch of players went out and celebrated a hard fought win over a division rivial last night. A majority of us here, became Niner fans because we won and we won regularly. And we won in such a fashion that was infectious, with such a offensive mastery with players who jump off the screen at you that we couldn't imagine rooting for any other team. We didn't gravitate to this franchise because they secure #1 overall picks and did what losers do. So I'll never understand the mentality that a win hurts this franchise more than a loss. Never.

Both points have been made with enough eloquence. Let us reflect on the essential ambiguity of all decisions and allow for both to have some fraction of the truth. And clutter these boards (and our minds) with arguments new. 

I'd be satisfied with the win IF it hadn't been produced by Gould. If Kittle or Pettis had been able to pull off a TD, I would be pleased but the O produced only a TD (special teams had a TD and 4 FGs). Winning with FGs only screws up our draft position. I strongly dislike FGs. 

Sure, if you are living in the moment, this win is fine. If you're looking to the future...it doesn't look so good, IMO. Our chance in the Bosa sweepstakes is gone. I think he is the most immediate impact EDGE player this draft. I really want us to be really good in Shanny's 3rd season and this win looks to hurt those chances rather than help.

Sigh.

Not saying we should do this, but let's say Mullens ends the season with two more good games. Do we at that point consider trading him if we can get potentially a 2nd rounder for him or even a 3rd rounder? I mean at that point there would be a 8 game sample with him putting up good numbers. 

Personally? If he ends the season well then I will feel confident we have a competent back up. But when is his deal up? May need to trade him this offseason? 

31 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I'd be satisfied with the win IF it hadn't been produced by Gould.

If Kittle or Pettis had been able to pull off a TD, I would be pleased but the O produced only a TD (special teams had a TD and 4 FGs). Winning with FGs only screws up our draft position. I strongly dislike FGs. 

Sure, if you are living in the moment, this win is fine. If you're looking to the future...it doesn't look so good, IMO. Our chance in the Bosa sweepstakes is gone. I think he is the most immediate impact EDGE player this draft. I really want us to be really good in Shanny's 3rd season and this win looks to hurt those chances rather than help.

Sigh.

Odd post, yet I admit it could be the alcohol influence for me.

It's not every game, and certainly not this game, that leads me to the 1 play made the difference attitude. The FG was a must, granted, but events led up to the FG even having a prayer. That ball sailing through the goal-posts puts every bit the dagger into Petey, and THAT.. is always as enjoyable as a TD catch or run. 

:P 

Read your recent post in the Draft thread, and understand the mental gymnastics involved, no problem. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Not saying we should do this, but let's say Mullens ends the season with two more good games. Do we at that point consider trading him if we can get potentially a 2nd rounder for him or even a 3rd rounder? I mean at that point there would be a 8 game sample with him putting up good numbers. 

Personally? If he ends the season well then I will feel confident we have a competent back up. But when is his deal up? May need to trade him this offseason? 

I think you'd have to nail down compensation parameters.. and they better be very decent. 

If you can get a day 2 pick for him? yeah, likely approved.

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Oh, I definitely think he will be dealt when the time comes. This is Jimmy's team and if Mullens is any kind of competitor, he will want a shot to go somewhere and play. Now I'm sure teams know he's mostly a product of Shanny's brilliant scheming but in the right system, he could be a competent starter as he work s out some of the kinks in his game. There's enough intrigue there I think to fetch a decent pick.

Looking at his contract, he's only signed through 2019 so he will have to be dealt this offseason. I think we can get a 3rd rounder for him if he ends the season well. A lot of incompetent QB play in the league, at the very least he seems to be a good back up who can step in and win games when the starter goes down. 

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Looking at his contract, he's only signed through 2019 so he will have to be dealt this offseason. I think we can get a 3rd rounder for him if he ends the season well. A lot of incompetent QB play in the league, at the very least he seems to be a good back up who can step in and win games when the starter goes down. 

Oh, that could be a difficult resigning. Too bad. Doubt he wants to extend his contract at this time...

We may have to keep CJ with this situation...

8 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Oh, that could be a difficult resigning. Too bad. Doubt he wants to extend his contract at this time...

We may have to keep CJ with this situation...

Nah, he'd be an ERFA. We tender him, it's over. Even the year following he's only a RFA, so we have him under control without issue for the foreseeable future. 

Archived