Das Gute - Year 1 in Review

Shanedorf

2 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

Its very difficult to review ...

The facts are that when TT had a mature (so excluding his first season as a starter) Rodgers play the whole season, Packers made the play-offs every year. At this point, it looks very unlikely we will make the play-offs this year. There's a pretty good case for saying the roster Gute put together is weaker than any roster TT put together in the last 10 seasons. On the face of it, failing to make the playoffs with Rodgers playing every game suggests a very bad year indeed.

That would be extremely harsh though. Its impossible to judge a GM in their first season as you have to give some time for the moves to work out. There's a lot to be very optimistic about. But you can't say he has done a good job until you see the results on the field.

Cautiously optimistic.  I don't see how you can grade it. The performances on the field look like they are going to be a failure so I don't see how you can give anything higher than a C if you really have to give a grade but then again it could be the start of something great so who knows it could end up looking like a masterful piece of GMing a few years down the line.

I believe Rodgers in his prime masked a lot of holes in the Packer roster.  When Rodgers isn't playing lights well to his standards like this year, those talent issues on the team are really exposed.   My thoughts on Gutey only reflect what he's tried to do to improve this team versus what Ted did the last few years.  You can't plug all the holes in the dam in one year.  

7 hours ago, SSG said:

That's why i said "at this point".  No different than posters talking about Burks and Jackson being good picks despite their terrible play this year (very premature to just assume that).  It's not any earlier than assuming that "Gutey has ran circles around Ted as a whole" which I find to be a ridiculous statement given how awful the team has been in Gute's first season.

Yes, he's made trades but not one of those trades has helped the 2018 Packers.  The HHCD trade showed the dumpster fire we have at the safety position.  He traded a starting Safety/ CB for a terrible back up QB who had 2 awful turnovers in the only 2 drives he had this year.   

His free agent accusations weren't great either.  Wilkerson is an unknown as he got hurt.  He had both quality games and terrible Jets-esk games before his injury.  Jimmy Graham has been mediocre I suppose but he's being paid to be a lot more than just mediocre.  That's a contract that is going to kick us in the chin if we want to get out from under it this coming off season.  Like Graham's contract, Tramon WIlliams contract is terrible as well.  Bell and Breeland were picked off the NFL scrap heap and weren't bad.  

We'll have to agree to disagree that this team is heading in the right direction.  This team has looked every bit the equal to the NFL's worst teams (see the Lions, 49ers and Cardinals games for examples).  it's premature to think we're going to just snap our fingers and go from a bad 5 win team to a playoff team in an off season.  

Yup ... we will disagree on this ... a lot.

That Randall for Kizer deal is looking pretty bad .. especially with McCarthy being shipped on down the road.  It's pretty clear that Randall could have filled a hole at safety ... if the Packers finally had been wise enough to make the position switch.  As for Kizer .. jury is still out, but early signs don't look all that promising.  This move, and the release of Nelson over Cobb were iffy.

10 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

4 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

That Randall for Kizer deal is looking pretty bad .. especially with McCarthy being shipped on down the road.  It's pretty clear that Randall could have filled a hole at safety ... if the Packers finally had been wise enough to make the position switch.  As for Kizer .. jury is still out, but early signs don't look all that promising.  This move, and the release of Nelson over Cobb were iffy.

I blame McCarthy and staff more than anybody on those moves and part of why he's down the road.  Put Randall in the right position to begin with.  There were a number of players drafted by Ted that ended up being a square peg in a round hole position wise.  Kizer, he's a crap shoot.  Nelson over Cobb again was more coaching decisions ... and I think it was the wrong move.  

2 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

Exactly ...

You can say he has run circles round TT when he has won 3 super-bowls. You can say he has matched TT when he has won a super-bowl and been perennial play-off reachers if that's a word.

Its definitely exciting to see a new approach but you have to be concerned he is trying to do too much and its causing problems on sundays. I don't see the whole 'if in doubt, kick them out' approach working particularly well long term. Hopefully after a year and he's got his guys then it might settle down a bit. You need a bit of middle ground between this and the over-loyalty shown by TT.

You must have missed it in a previous post.  My reference to him running circles around Ted was for what he has tried to do this leaving no stone unturned this year to improve the team  compared to what Ted did (or didn't do) the last few years.  Ted served us well but his last couple of years were not his best by any means.    I'd rather see somebody try different methods and means to improve the Packers than sit back and stay status quo.  Not sure what you mean about "if in doubt, kick them out".  Are you talking players, management ... what?

7 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Milt Hendrickson, who Gute tried to steal away from Baltimore earlier this year but was denied, is now set to join the Packers front office. Some welcome experience added to the scouting staff.

Gutes most important signing to date

7 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

It's tough to find anything on the internet to post links to but Hendrickson is known for his prowess finding offensive lineman. Can't have enough of those.

Ted is still scouting too, is he not? The Packers have done well with the OL in my opinion when he was calling the shots.

27 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Now if he can get a committed Scot McCloughan into the stable, then we're cookin' with gas.

https://nflspinzone.com/2018/12/13/oakland-raiders-scot-mccloughan-not-interested-general-manager-job/

According to Las Vegas Review-Journal reporter Michael Gehlken, McCloughan would prefer to focus on his independent company, Distinctive Scouting.

I’ve been a GM twice. Did I enjoy it? Heck yeah, from the standpoint of doing the roster. But there’s a lot of politics that play into it. I don’t deal with politics. I deal with football teams. Not saying it won’t happen some juncture, but right now, no.

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

I blame McCarthy and staff more than anybody on those moves and part of why he's down the road.  Put Randall in the right position to begin with.  There were a number of players drafted by Ted that ended up being a square peg in a round hole position wise.  Kizer, he's a crap shoot.  Nelson over Cobb again was more coaching decisions ... and I think it was the wrong move.  

I was a guy who thought at the time that management got rid of a malcontent that didn't want to be in GB. I've changed my mind though. It's hindsight but he would have really helped at safety if they had been willing to move him there. I get that we had some historically bad CB's at the time but they could have kept him around this year after drafting so many CB's. The more time goes by the more this trade is a mystery to me.

24 minutes ago, cannondale said:

https://nflspinzone.com/2018/12/13/oakland-raiders-scot-mccloughan-not-interested-general-manager-job/

According to Las Vegas Review-Journal reporter Michael Gehlken, McCloughan would prefer to focus on his independent company, Distinctive Scouting.

I’ve been a GM twice. Did I enjoy it? Heck yeah, from the standpoint of doing the roster. But there’s a lot of politics that play into it. I don’t deal with politics. I deal with football teams. Not saying it won’t happen some juncture, but right now, no.

Hire him for the draft lead up like the Browns did last year. When he does decide to get back to working for a team, I hope its for the Packers. Gute tried to coax McCloughan to join him in Green Bay soon after he was hired.

Archived