Donald Penn to return this week?

RaidersAreOne

Raiders left tackle Donald Penn is expected to end his 25-day holdout and return to practice this week, as early as Tuesday, according to league sources.

Penn missed all of training camp in Napa, seeking a substantial raise from his 2017 salary of $5.95 million.

That isn’t going to happen - not yet at least, as negotiations may pick up once Penn returns - but he will likely get that salary guaranteed for at least this season. Penn, 34, made the Pro Bowl last season and is in his fourth year with Oakland, his last on his second two-year deal.

Great news if true. There is a guy from a different forum who claims to have a contact on the inside of the Raiders. He is surprisingly often correct on things he posts there, with one stating Penn would end his holdout in the 3rd week of PS. TIFWIW.

Great to see Penn back and great that Reggie didn't buckle and give away his future leverage. As NTL says I think they'll work something out over the coming weeks as Penn has played really well for us.

As of now, Newhouse seems like a very good signing if he can at least cover LT to a reasonable degree and should be at least on a par with Howard on the right side - interested to see him perform there and see if he's an upgrade. Not convinced with Vadal over there just yet but Sharpe and Ware haven't been liabilities either and look like they may have some developmental potential. Of the three we should come out with at least one future starter, hopefully two.

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Great to see Penn back and great that Reggie didn't buckle and give away his future leverage. As NTL says I think they'll work something out over the coming weeks as Penn has played really well for us.

As of now, Newhouse seems like a very good signing if he can at least cover LT to a reasonable degree and should be at least on a par with Howard on the right side - interested to see him perform there and see if he's an upgrade. Not convinced with Vadal over there just yet but Sharpe and Ware haven't been liabilities either and look like they may have some developmental potential. Of the three we should come out with at least one future starter, hopefully two.

With you on every point!

Great to have him back, he will get a some dope before regular season.

Newhouse seems like a good signing, from his LT work I think we can expect a steady RT performance, snce he played more RT then LT before.

Vadal should stay as OG depth and emergency OT or 6thOL help.

Sharpe and Ware showed potential so far even after some injuries, nicks. I like their chance now to take over from Newhouse and Penn with time. Newhouse can be back in 2018 with his current deal and I think Penn will get an additional year to his current deal, so ideally the young guys can wait till 2019 to step in. If they can surpass the old dudes sooner it's great, but we won't have to push them. 

We will see, but with the defensive struggles we need a really good offense again and that starts upfront at OL.

Archived