George Kittle vs Zach Ertz

J-ALL-DAY

Who is the 2nd Best TE in the League?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Kittle or Ertz?

Ertz has put up impressive and consistent numbers the past few years and is a really good TE. But Kittle is so much more dynamic; he has more YAC than any RB has receiving yards total. He's just as sure-handed and capable of carrying a workload as Ertz. Ertz also benefits from Wentz having tunnel vision a lot of times and forcing him the ball. It's probably premature, but I'm not sure I wouldn't put Kittle #1 right now. I love what he brings as a blocker. I have it Kittle, then Kelce, then Ertz.

If you need a guy to make 1 play to change a game, you go Kittle.   He's got gamebreaking ability, his YAC ability is insane for a TE.

If you need a guy to get the first down, or a RZ TD, you go Ertz.  His ability to find open holes in D's and his ability to shield players away to get those chain-moving / RZ catches is only surpassed by Kelce (and a healthy Gronk - but that's a dodo-like beast now).  

Eventually, once Kittle learns the little skills that Ertz has, he'll be there to join Kelce & Ertz, and put Ertz into the 3 spot.  Right now, though, it's only Kelce & Ertz at the top.    

5 minutes ago, KellChippy said:

Creates more separation in his routes and finds holes in zones better.

That implies that he’s a better route runner. Someone find the Next Gen stats to show avg yard of separation when getting a catch. I don’t feels like this is true at all. 

Just now, Broncofan said:

If you need a guy to make 1 play to change a game, you go Kittle.   He's got gamebreaking ability, his YAC ability is insane for a TE.

If you need a guy to get the first down, or a RZ TD, you go Ertz.  His ability to find open holes in D's and his ability to shield players away to get those chain-moving / RZ catches is only surpassed by Kelce (and a healthy Gronk - but that's a dodo-like beast now).  

Eventually, once Kittle learns the little skills that Ertz has, he'll be there to join Kelce & Ertz.  Right now, though, it's only Kelce & Ertz.    

I think that this is a fair assessment in what they bring to the table. 

I would also like to see at least one more year from Kittle doing this to know that it's truly legit and put him in that same tier. 

Also, and I don't mean this on a knock against Kittle, but I Think that it's important to note - there is nobody in the NFL in scheming TEs/FBs open then Kyle Shanahan in my opinion. Other coaches scheme just as well / better overall, and scheme better for receivers and running backs, but when it comes to guys like the tight ends and fullbacks, I don't think that there is anyone better than Shanahan. Go back and look at some of those big receptions by Juice Check and Kittle. I mean, it's not atypical that they are wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide open...like nobody within 5 yards of them. That's a lot of scheme - Shanny is simply great at it for those two positions. 

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think that this is a fair assessment in what they bring to the table. 

I would also like to see at least one more year from Kittle doing this to know that it's truly legit and put him in that same tier. 

Also, and I don't mean this on a knock against Kittle, but I Think that it's important to note - there is nobody in the NFL in scheming TEs/FBs open then Kyle Shanahan in my opinion. Other coaches scheme just as well / better overall, and scheme better for receivers and running backs, but when it comes to guys like the tight ends and fullbacks, I don't think that there is anyone better than Shanahan. Go back and look at some of those big receptions by Juice Check and Kittle. I mean, it's not atypical that they are wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide open...like nobody within 5 yards of them. That's a lot of scheme - Shanny is simply great at it for those two positions. 

Longevity and sustained success matter, because it's easy to dominate early on raw talent alone.  But do it enough, and teams start scheming for you, and that's when you find out how special a talent you've got.  Kelce and Ertz have done it long enough to deserve the elite label.    Kittle has the toolset, but we need to see the sustained success before we crown him into that tier.

TE is finally starting to see light at the end of the tunnel.   Kittle deserves the title of Next One...but Howard, Njoku (if he can cure those pesky drops, that's something you can't have if you want to be elite), and assuming he's back to 100 percent explosion, Hunter Henry, it finally looks like 2019 will have more than just Gronk/Kelce/Ertz to pick from as top options.

P.S.  Nothing but love for Shanny's scheming.   Everyone and their dog in the DEN forum were licking their chops with the Week 14 @SF game coming off that improbable (and total mirage) 3-game win streak, but several of us pointed out that if there's a HC to fear exploiting our weaknesses, it was Shanny, and he proved that to a T.

1 hour ago, El ramster said:

Serious Quesion.. What does Ertz do better than Kittle? 

It's a good question. Ertz isn't a super flashy player, but like Jason Witten, he just finds ways to always be freaking open and it honestly doesn't make sense. Something about route running? That or he has the power or selective invisibility where the defense can't see him. Ertz isn't great after the catch, he's serviceable in run blocking. He's not spectacular or flashy in any way, but he's just literally the most consistently open and reliable target.

55 minutes ago, El ramster said:

That implies that he’s a better route runner. Someone find the Next Gen stats to show avg yard of separation when getting a catch. I don’t feels like this is true at all. 

It's not necessarily being wide open on some plays, but always being open enough to be an easy to find target.

42 minutes ago, El ramster said:

I definitely think Ertz is better on the short to intermediate routes. Kittle is much more dangerous downfield and after the catch though. 

Those numbers would be interesting to look at, but I assume they would favor Kittle due to scheme.   He is targeted downfield more often, and, as mentioned in this thread, Shanahan does wonders for the TE.  

1 hour ago, El ramster said:

Ertz does have that 6th sense of finding the hole in zone that I've seen Witten and Gates have. That's definitely the most elite thing about him. It is very impressive. I'm still taking Kittle though

Archived