2018 draft thread - still sucking a decade later

Its A Sabotage

Just now, Speedyg said:

So was last year's draft and it didn't stop them from taking on Fournette 

yes but given we have talent at the RB spot i dont think they will be tempted to go for 1 as early.   the team needs to start planning their future at the DL with Dareus, Jackson, Campbell situation along with fowler. 

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Not saying I endorsed RB top 5, but this class is deep and talented. Considering how run oriented we are and how today's NFL is, can't say I blame them if we take another in the top few rounds.

Yeldon was a bust for where he was taken. He was solid last year and is imprtant on 3rd down but I don't care to see how it'd be if Fournette were out an extended period of time.

lol id love to see good Ole Tail Lights on the field more

Just now, .Buzz said:

Not saying I endorsed RB top 5, but this class is deep and talented. Considering how run oriented we are and how today's NFL is, can't say I blame them if we take another in the top few rounds.

Yeldon was a bust for where he was taken. He was solid last year and is imprtant on 3rd down but I don't care to see how it'd be if Fournette were out an extended period of time.

I'm really not too concerned too much, but I'm a big believer that unless you are a special running back, you're replaceable. especially with the likely attention in the OL (Norwell,draft), I think we can get by without Fournette.

I'm more concerned if someone like Jalen, Calais, Yann, Telvin or Myles go down for an extended amount of time.

Fournette was mostly draft hype last season. He rarely made anyone miss in the hole and while he delivered some crushing blows, he never actually broke those tackles (defenders usually were able to hold on to his legs and bring him down)

Could be different with Norwell leading the way since its possible Fournette can now get a full head of steam when he hits the hole which is when he's at his most dangerous, and maybe the ankle slowed him down, but I really didn't see a dominant back except in a handful of moments last season.

42 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

yes but given we have talent at the RB spot i dont think they will be tempted to go for 1 as early.   the team needs to start planning their future at the DL with Dareus, Jackson, Campbell situation along with fowler. 

I think it's precisely this reason why we cant/shouldn't spend a pick on a RB.

We're not cutting Fournette anytime soon.

With how relatively "flat" this draft is in late 1st to early 3rd, I think we are better off taking the best player available even if it's not an immediate need.

Worst thing we can do is to go after need and passing on more talented guys. That's how our team got depleted during Tom's last few years here.

1 hour ago, Speedyg said:

I think it's precisely this reason why we cant/shouldn't spend a pick on a RB.

We're not cutting Fournette anytime soon.

With how relatively "flat" this draft is in late 1st to early 3rd, I think we are better off taking the best player available even if it's not an immediate need.

Worst thing we can do is to go after need and passing on more talented guys. That's how our team got depleted during Tom's last few years here.

the only reason to go RB early this year is to already have our Backup RB position solved cuz i believe Yeldon and Grant both are UFAs next year.

3 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Another tidbit from the luncheon today.

Pretty much what i was talking about a while ago, with respect to some of the RBs people like in this draft...and how a lot of them don't really feel like the greatest fit.  I figured they'd be after more of a "pounder" type to spell Fournette, when we already have those other two guys with varied skillsets to sprinkle in on other downs and other packages.

2 hours ago, Speedyg said:

And further illustrates how stupid that pick was from a value standpoint. 

So we spend a 4th pick overall on a running back to build our entire offense around, but because of his and our play style...now we have to spend another 2nd or 3rd round pick to be his back up?

That gives us a 4th overall pick, a high 2nd round pick, and then another 2nd/3rd in one position.

I'm pretty positive Doug has no clue or gives zero fs when it comes to positional value, so yeah, Hurst or Goedert it probably will be at 29th

I think it's kind of the opposite.  It's more just highlighting the inherent "value" in Fournette's tone-setting style of play.  He's our hammer, he sets the tone for our offense.  He's more than just a tool to gain yards...he establishes that imposing physical ball hogging attitude we want to convey, and have built our offense around.

Wanting to grab another guy to spell Fournette without really breaking that imposing physical tone is just a testament to how central Fournette's skillset and ability is to what this team wants to be offensively.  While also an admission that even a back like Fournette is going to need a breather to keep him fresh.  And wanting to get a guy who can come in and not relent on that physical, punishing run game tone.

Same way you like to talk about why they value shifty quick guys to run drag routes every 3rd down at WR, over other "better" types.  Because it fits the offense.

2 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

this RB Class is deep tho.  we just need to find a Physical between the Tackles runner who can bounce outside once in a while

Gus Edwards from Rutgers would be a Sneaky Late round/UDFA type. 

Yeah, i don't think it necessarily has to be a high pick RB to get what we're after there.  This class too me looks deeper than it is tall.  Barkley at the very top is hiding how sorta pear shaped the draft is, with a lot of potentially very good ones in the middle rounds, and actually a bit thin for real 2nd round values imo.

I think reuniting with Guice would make sense fit-wise, but value-wise probably not...unless he slides becomes of his videogaming.  I still think the other LSU guy Darrel Williams would be an awesome fit for what they're talking about, and a guy who can also do some 3rd down passing work and seems like the lowest of low maintenance players, which also seems like it would appeal to Doug, Dave, and Tom.

Kerryon Johnson and John Kelly both seem like at least partial fits who could sorta morph between spelling Fournette and playing other down roles.  Nick Chubb seems properly made for what they're looking for.

I think Ryan Nall (Oregon State) and Chris Warren (Texas) seem like interesting late round types to look at, as a pair of guys who are really pushing into that borderline FB HBack size profile, but each have some real running ability.

There are guys out there who would fit...don't have to necessarily spend another Top-60 pick on one.  Especially with the 3 guys we already have.  But you do want to make sure you can still have a big physical punishing back in the stable so you're not completely changing things up if Fournette continues to miss games here and there.

2 hours ago, Speedyg said:

I think they consider Gesicki later. But yeah, everything they said since Doug took over (actually as soon as Hack took over), and Tom took over is that a tight end must not be one-dimensional.

Gesicki can develop as a blocker, but I'm pretty confident they have Hurst and Goedert higher than him precisely coz they are more well rounded

I still honestly have questions about the bolded.  Sure, Gesicki probably can improve as a blocker...because there's literally nowhere to go but up.  But there's a willingness that's missing there, on top of the lack of functional strength and natural leverage.  It's more than just the blocking though too.  He's not a great inline TE route runner either.  He's a "run clean down the field on a free release from the slot and catch jump balls" guy, and he's really good at it.  But our TEs in this system are going to be asked to block more often than not...and when they get out in a route, it's more often than not going to be a big boy outlet route over the congested middle, and/or making a chip on release.  Gesicki is a crazy good combine athlete, but he's S-O-F-T.

If we were the Saints and Sean Payton was our HC, sure...maybe it makes sense, maybe he'll find the right way to use the guy.  But that's not really what our staff does, or what our offense is built around.  It really kills any "value" a guy like that might have, if you know from Day1 that it's going to be an awkward marriage of a skillset that doesn't jive with what our offense is built to do.

2 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

I love LF and think he will have a big year in 2018 but yea, you should always wait on a RB. With his style, they know he won’t ever be a 16 game a season guy. Everybody and their momma knows he won’t have a very long career. Their top 4 was Myles, Solly Thomas, Fournette and Jamal Adams.

That Yeldon pick was so bad. Yeesh.

Wouldnt surprise me if they went RB in round 4. I hope they wait until at least round 6 though.

The Yeldon pick did kinda suck on value, and i really wasn't super ecstatic about it at the time given the "value"...but we did get a really useful 3rd down back out of it...with at least a bit of versatility and potential to be a little bit more.  Wasn't a great pick, but it could've been a lot worse.

3 hours ago, Speedyg said:

I have no problem with Hurst (actually like his complete game), just not in the 1st round.

Something to keep in mind....ASJ who came out in 2014 draft will be the same age as Hurst by start of the season (asj will turn 26 in week 3)

Yeah.  This is something that seems to get ignored a lot with Hurst.  Sure, TEs can have longer careers and maybe that part isn't an issue of him "running out of time" or whatever, but this isn't a perfectly polished prospect coming out either.  He's still probably going to have that "redshirt year" that most rookie NFL TEs end up with, while he learns and adjusts to the game at that level.  Which will make him even older by the time he's really ready to "blossom".  It also just typically gets harder for older prospects to learn and adapt.  Old dogs, new tricks, etc.  And he's really not a special athlete to justify that time/investment.  He's an old but still medium-raw "jack of all trades, master of none".  He's got some experience blocking, but he's got a lot of refinement to do.  He runs alright routes, but he's got a lot of rough edges to smooth out.  He's just sort of an alright athlete with fairly limited TE experience.  He's just so "meh" all around.

I'd rather see them grab a guy like Ian Thomas who is also very raw, but younger and with a lot more special traits and a more violent mentality to work with.  Or guys like Herndon, Conklin, Andrews who will need plenty of work too, but have more all-around upside...and will probably still catch up quickly to a guy like Hurst (who is only a 2 year NCAA starter at TE himself) within a year.

It just sorta feels like people are assuming that because Hurst is an old man, he's going to step in and play immediately from Day1 like he's got ASJ's experience or something.  Which i don't really see happening, especially at a position like TE that tends to have a rough adjustment period.

Archived