NORTH CAROLINA STATE Redshirt DL Prospect. a Freak athlete
230: R7P12
WR ANTONIO CALLAWAY
FLORIDA WR Competition who has massive red flags. why not gamble a 7th
247: R7P29
CB PARRY NICKERSON
TULANE future NB

13 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

i like kyle Lauletta but im not sure i like him round 2 but ive heard the pats also kinda like him 

I don't like Lauletta at all.  I don't get where all the hype on him is coming from.  Feels like it's just because he's got extra "mystery box" sauce because he's from a small nowhere school and had a decent Senior Bowl.

He looks to me, like basically a small school project version of what we got for a conditional throwaway late round pick in Cody Kessler.

2 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I don't like Lauletta at all.  I don't get where all the hype on him is coming from.  Feels like it's just because he's got extra "mystery box" sauce because he's from a small nowhere school and had a decent Senior Bowl.

He looks to me, like basically a small school project version of what we got for a conditional throwaway late round pick in Cody Kessler.

to me he seems kinda like that QB that the 49ers got who then shredded us and then got a huge contract.

9 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:
29: R1P29
EDGE MARCUS DAVENPORT
UTSA Backup Pass rusher
61: R2P29
G BILLY PRICE
OHIO STATE Starting G
93: R3P29
WR ANTHONY MILLER
MEMPHIS WR Competition
129: R4P29
TE DALTON SCHULTZ
STANFORD TE Depth
203: R6P29
DL KENTAVIUS STREET
NORTH CAROLINA STATE Redshirt DL Prospect. a Freak athlete
230: R7P12
WR ANTONIO CALLAWAY
FLORIDA WR Competition who has massive red flags. why not gamble a 7th
247: R7P29
CB PARRY NICKERSON
TULANE future NB

You're really churning out the pipedream mock drafts eh?  xD

I'd be doing backflips if we somehow walked away with a guy in Davenport that should go a lot higher, and a guy in Billy Price that i'd be happy enough with at 1.29.  The rest is moneyball value all over too, and i really like Dalton Schultz as a potential fallback value at TE if we somehow don't end up with one of Goedert/Thomas/Andrews/Conklin/Herndon/Hurst earlier.

Seems pretty pie in the sky though.  And even then, i'm not sure i'd even want that Antonio Callaway brand of stupid around the team, even with a nothing pick.

1 minute ago, LinderFournette said:

to me he seems kinda like that QB that the 49ers got who then shredded us and then got a huge contract.

How so?  In that he's a kinda smaller kid from a smaller school?  I think that's what a lot of people are squinting really hard, trying to see in Lauletta.  Looking for that smaller school unicorn.  I'm not buying.

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

You're really churning out the pipedream mock drafts eh?  xD

I'd be doing backflips if we somehow walked away with a guy in Davenport that should go a lot higher, and a guy in Billy Price that i'd be happy enough with at 1.29.  The rest is moneyball value all over too, and i really like Dalton Schultz as a potential fallback value at TE if we somehow don't end up with one of Goedert/Thomas/Andrews/Conklin/Herndon/Hurst earlier.

Seems pretty pie in the sky though.  And even then, i'm not sure i'd even want that Antonio Callaway brand of stupid around the team, even with a nothing pick.

some teams love davenport some teams dont. im playing with a few different draft boards lol. my hope was to snag thomas where i picked schultz but the flaming thumbtacks picked him 

maybe its me but i think Conklin, herndon are late round picks at best. 

im kinda tempted to kinda double dip at TE with a guy like Gesicki who would be a tremendous mismatch guy for us and pairing him with someone like David Wells whos a Hell of a blocker. 

15 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

How so?  In that he's a kinda smaller kid from a smaller school?  I think that's what a lot of people are squinting really hard, trying to see in Lauletta.  Looking for that smaller school unicorn.  I'm not buying.

small school, Lightening Quick releases, theres quite a few similarities. 1 bigger difference is kyle has a definite weaker arm. 

3 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

some teams love davenport some teams dont. im playing with a few different draft boards lol. my hope was to snag thomas where i picked schultz but the flaming thumbtacks picked him 

maybe its me but i think Conklin, herndon are late round picks at best. 

im kinda tempted to kinda double dip at TE with a guy like Gesicki who would be a tremendous mismatch guy for us and pairing him with someone like David Wells whos a Hell of a blocker. 

What particularly don't you like about Conklin and Herndon?  I like them both a lot, right up there with guys like Hurst and Gesicki (who i like a lot less than most i think).  They've both had some injury stuff hold them back, but when healthy they're both really good TE prospects.  Good athletes (Herndon especially) too, with a lot of receiving ability to threaten downfield.  Plus at least some willingness to try to block when asked, though both need varying degrees of work (as most move TE prospects do).  Herndon's got some really natural elusiveness in space that's super intriguing in such a big man to go with seam-busting speed.  Really like Conklin's hands and don't see a lot of glaring weakness in his overall play.

Gesicki is a fine jumbo slot to run downfield and play basketball, but he doesn't block, seems kinda soft, and he's really not much of a route runner either.  Looks very linear to me.  There's stuff to work with there athletically and with strong hands, but especially after that combine...guaranteed someone's gonna value him way too highly.  I wouldn't have any real interest in the "bidding war" that player will draw from Al Davis' around the league.

Haven't watch a ton of him specifically, but don't really like what i've seen of David Wells either.  He plays inline and does do a lot of blocking, so there's a ton on tape...but i wouldn't say he's an absolute monster at it, even at that level of competition.  He's going to need to get stronger and play with better leverage and technique to be a top quality "blocking TE" in the NFL just like other guys anyway.  Just doesn't have the athleticism, fluidity, and hands to be a likely bet as anything more than a blocking TE imo.

I don't mind the idea of double-dipping though.  Not sure it'd be ideal, but wouldn't mind it.  Extra TEs aren't bad to have on the roster, usually make for handy STers and we're not exactly stacked at the position.

The guy that's really jumped out to me as a kind of under the radar, heck of an inline blocker type TE is Matt Flanagan out of Pitt.  Showed up all over the place as a blocker when i was watching O'Neill the Tackle there.  Might be a more mean/physical blocker than O'Neill.  xD  Just see him mauling guys and moving people down the field like toys at times.  Made an impression on me at least.

20 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

small school, Lightening Quick releases, theres quite a few similarities. 1 bigger difference is kyle has a definite weaker arm. 

Yeah.  I think the weaker arm thing is pretty apparent, and a pretty big deal.  JimmyG already doesn't have the biggest arm to begin with.  Watching the trajectory on so many of Lauletta's passes just elicits an involuntary "ewww" from me.  There's all sorts of air under everything, and the airmail just takes a while to get there.  Gets away with it at that level, and even the Senior Bowl week it seemed...but i can't see how that's going to be starting caliber in the NFL.  Fine to take a late flyer on as a project backup...but we've already got ourselves a Kessler who is basically a proven "hopeful outcome" version of Lauletta.  And we got him for basically nothing.

I don't know, Jimmy G is no Josh Allen as far as arm strength, but he's got a niiice arm. Now part of it is probably his compact and quick release, but our defense was literally...a fraction of a second away from big plays vs him.

Almost any other QB that week, we come up with 3 maybe 4 turnovers on defense. Instead, Jimmy shredded us and our defense looked "slow" against him, which obviously could not be farther from the truth.

I think a lot of these low round QBs are getting a lot of hype driven by how good the top of this draft looks (kinda like the cheerleader effect), but i really dont see any franchise "toolsy" guy late.

Almost everyone I see are kind of in that "I hope he turns into Brady but chances are he's probably Cassell or Kessler" mold.

2 hours ago, Speedyg said:

I don't know, Jimmy G is no Josh Allen as far as arm strength, but he's got a niiice arm. Now part of it is probably his compact and quick release, but our defense was literally...a fraction of a second away from big plays vs him.

Almost any other QB that week, we come up with 3 maybe 4 turnovers on defense. Instead, Jimmy shredded us and our defense looked "slow" against him, which obviously could not be farther from the truth.

I think a lot of these low round QBs are getting a lot of hype driven by how good the top of this draft looks (kinda like the cheerleader effect), but i really dont see any franchise "toolsy" guy late.

Almost everyone I see are kind of in that "I hope he turns into Brady but chances are he's probably Cassell or Kessler" mold.

Yeah, JimmyG clearly has enough arm.  ie. On the other side of the line from Lauletta.  I wouldn't say it's much more than that, but it's clearly enough.  The seriously quick release on top of that is also very important.  But JimmyG had a lot more to work with than Lauletta to begin with, and it's still not exactly set in stone that he's going to be a quality franchise QB long-term at that.  Despite being paid as one, obviously.  Trending the right way for sure, but it's still a 5 game sample in garbage time of the season.

Part of our team's struggles vs that are schematic though too.  Our defense had it's most trouble with offenses like that.  In a few different games, and segments of games.  Full of quick hitters, motion, deception, matchup confusion, deliberately spreading/condensing things via formation and concept.  And getting the ball out as quickly as possible...which didn't give our DLine time to consistently get home.  Even old man Rivers kinda "shredded" our defense with a get the ball out quick mentality.

I just don't entirely buy into "JimmyG worked out" as a rock solid case for Lauletta as a Day2 prospect...for a few reasons.

I do tend to agree with you on the whole "cheerleader effect" quality to this QB class.  I think there's a lot of specific elements to a lot of different QBs to get excited about, and it's a big group that superficially looks extremely promising.  But the closer you look at each individually...the more flaws you start to see in each (including the "big 5").  I mean...that's okay, nearly flawless QB prospects are exceedingly rare.  That's the way it goes.  That's why flawed QBs are inherently pushed up boards because they might become a franchise guy if things go well.  That's why Bortles was a 3rd Overall Pick.  xD  And the further you get into the draft, the more glaring the flaws obviously become.  You're not going to find a lot of guys with easy "franchise QB" potential outside the 1st round, or outside the Top-5 these days really.

There are a lot of different QBs outside that "1st round cluster" in this draft who have some interesting traits to potentially work with too.  But yeah...odds are, you're going to get a Cassell or Kessler, or worse...rather than a franchise guy.  And there are a ton of them who solidly confirmed their relatively weak "on film" arms at the combine too, which isn't great.  It's sort of a pick your poison thing.  I don't like the Lauletta poison much at all.  It tastes exactly like the Cody Kessler poison to me.

I'd much prefer some other poisons please.

18 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Smoot will be Campbell’s replacement. 

eh i wouldnt act all sure about that. was he solid rookie yes but i still think we need to give us potential options regardless of how u feel about smoot plus its not like we cant use a potential Replacement for Jackson and his High cap.

Bryan kinda reminds of like Nkemdiche of the cards. full of athleticism and potential 

Archived