Mike Jones: Terrell McClain a possible cut

turtle28

1 minute ago, Woz said:

At the same time, when he has been on the field, have you noticed him? Has his name been called? Has he gotten there a second too late so someone else got the credit, or forced the action in a meaningful way?

As far as I can recall, he's been a body on the field. Nothing more.

A lot of 3-4 linemen are like that though, especially NT's.  And I will be honest, I haven't watched any pre-season yet.  I was working during the first game, and I had conflicting tickets (the Orioles 25th anniversary replica ballpark giveaway won out over going to the Redskins game) and I won't be watching the third either- furniture is being delivered to my new house so I'll be dealing with that instead.  After so many years of being invested heavily in the pre-season, I just can't do it anymore. 

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

A lot of 3-4 linemen are like that though, especially NT's.  And I will be honest, I haven't watched any pre-season yet.  I was working during the first game, and I had conflicting tickets (the Orioles 25th anniversary replica ballpark giveaway won out over going to the Redskins game) and I won't be watching the third either- furniture is being delivered to my new house so I'll be dealing with that instead.  After so many years of being invested heavily in the pre-season, I just can't do it anymore. 

Fair enough. I did watch the games and I don't recall him ever showing up. I do recall guys like Ziggy Hood, Phil Taylor, Jonathan Allen and Stacy McGee standing out at various times (for good and for ill), so it's not just a stat watching thing. It was as if he didn't play.

Just now, Woz said:

Fair enough. I did watch the games and I don't recall him ever showing up. I do recall guys like Ziggy Hood, Phil Taylor, Jonathan Allen and Stacy McGee standing out at various times (for good and for ill), so it's not just a stat watching thing. It was as if he didn't play.

I believe your opinion as well, it's also possible McClain was in a role where he was more of a NT.   Or asked to do things like take on multiple blockers and hold onto them, which is asked quite a bit of 3-4 ends especially during passing downs when the NT gets replaced and those ends move inside. 

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

I believe your opinion as well, it's also possible McClain was in a role where he was more of a NT.   Or asked to do things like take on multiple blockers and hold onto them, which is asked quite a bit of 3-4 ends especially during passing downs when the NT gets replaced and those ends move inside. 

Maybe, but he was the starting DE against the Packers and was the backup DE against the Ravens. In week 1, the starting NT was Phil Taylor and in week 2, it was Ziggy Hood. Why they switched I have no earthly idea because Taylor looked great in both games.

Just now, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Might as well have flushed $3.5M down the toilet

To be fair, this is just a projection by Mike Jones ... but it's kind of what a bunch of us thought way back in March. We'll see what comes of it.

He barely played this preseason, less than 20 snaps I believe. He hasn't played on 3rd & long that I've seen. I asked Chris Russell about him because I too didn't notice him in either preseason game. He told me that he started in week 2 vs the Packers. He was able to push the pocket on passing plays and stuff the run. I'm sure if he played 30-40 snaps we'd notice him, but 14 in week 2 & less than that in week 1 it's hard to notice a DL especially when going vs Rodgers who gets the ball out quick.

Hopefully he shows up this week.

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I'd blame McCloughan for picking the player, and Allen for the contract.  Why in the world we gave this guy a 4-year deal with $10.5 mil guaranteed is beyond me.  

I heard - I think from John Keim - that Tomsula wanted them also.

24 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

LOL speaking of bust where and how isn't Gallete getting called out he has yet to even see a snap on the field yet unless i'm missing something .

I have to agree here but McClain signed a 4 year $21 million deal and makes $3.7 million this year. On the other hand, Galette has been on minimum deals.

1 hour ago, Dashing202 said:

LOL speaking of bust where and how isn't Gallete getting called out he has yet to even see a snap on the field yet unless i'm missing something .

Because McClain signed a four year, $21 million deal as a free agent, whereas Junior Galette has had both of his Achilles tendons surgically repaired the past two seasons.  There is a higher expectation for McClain than there is for Galette.  It wasn't too long ago that an Achilles tear meant the end of a career.  Galette is trying to come back from tearing one, and then the other. 

3 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

Unlike McClain, Mike Jones projects Galette to make the roster. However, you are correct in that he has not seen the field yet.

5 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Because McClain signed a four year, $21 million deal as a free agent, whereas Junior Galette has had both of his Achilles tendons surgically repaired the past two seasons.  There is a higher expectation for McClain than there is for Galette.  It wasn't too long ago that an Achilles tear meant the end of a career.  Galette is trying to come back from tearing one, and then the other. 

Yea but Gallete was projected as a day one starter on 2015 and had literally a tattoo of the redskins logo. Not hating on him but for a guy that had an avg of 8 sacks a year and we are not even seeing him play yet sucks .

At this point he's just a situational pass rusher which is fine with me , I'm on the Ryan Anderson boat to start .

im gonna be pissed off if we don't even start Allen at DE

Archived