Rashan Gary - Atlanta Falcons connection

atlantafanatics

Atlanta Falcons potential package looks with @atlantafanatics projected first round pick Rashan Gary on the field:

BASE package (Run Support):

0T: Senat

3T: Jarrett

5T: McKinley

5T: Gary

NICKEL package (Pass Defense):

3T: Jarrett

3T: Gary

5T: Beasley

NASCAR package (Speed Look):

3T: Gary

NT: Jarrett

5T: Beasley

Gary is clearly versatile. Dan Quinn, in several pressers emphasized that in his defensive lineman, he looks for speed, agility, ability to fill gaps and beat guards to the punch, first step quickness, athleticism and can use their feet well. The ability to penetrate gaps is huge in our 4-3 under. Quinn wants his DL to be relentless; able to finish plays. As for combine measurements, Dan Quinn keeps a keen eye on the 3-Cone drill and tends to liken those with a vertical jump in the 70th percentile or higher. Gary should fit most, if not all the criteria. His potential is scary. 

In Michigan, he worked well off of space eater DT Maurice Hurst. Sure, Gary’s statistics dropped off following the declaration of Hurst, but that’s because Gary essentially worked with a LEO rusher in Chase Winovich all season. It was practically a two man show. Take the Alabama situation for example. Raekwon Davis & Quinnen Williams prosper off of eachother. Davis, being a threat himself allows for more opportunities for Williams to succeed. That should explain why both are arguably first round picks. (Quinnen for sure) The Wolverines box look essentially consisted of LEO Chase Winovich, 3T/5T Rashan Gary and field general LB Devin Bush. Film goes to show the unbelievable potential Gary possesses. 

Rashan Gary 2017 Stats (w/ Hurst)

25 Solo Tackles

33 Assisted Tackles

58 Total Tackles

11.55 TFL

5.5 Sacks

1 FF

Rashan Gary 2018 Stats (w/o Hurst)

20 Solo Tackles

18 Assisted Tackles

38 Total Tackles

6.5 TFL

3.5 Sacks

0 FF

Obvious drop off. Don’t look too much into it. Like I said, film says otherwise.

Pair him with Grady Jarrett, who is far and away better than Maurice Hurst and add Takk McKinley and Vic Beasley, who is like Winovich in several ways, and you’ve got yourself a threatening front. Drafting Gary will also allow us to take some snaps away from guys like Reed, Irvin in the NASCAR and Steven Means, assuming he returns as depth. These comparisons get annoying, but I can legitimately see this one: Gary is essentially the Michael Bennett in Q’s defense. 

I’d like the Falcons to bring in Dwight Freeney as the DL coach. There is NO Vic Beasley without Freeney. Coach Quinn loves Freeney and I wouldn’t be surprised if this was a move that was made in the off season. Freeney’s a heck of a mentor, and with that being said, adding another young guy to the list would go a long way.

I can totally see Q and Dimitroff running the table for Gary. He’ll likely have a great broad jump and 3 cone. Keep an eye on this connection until April. 

50 minutes ago, atlantafanatics said:

Haha sorry I’m new to this. Thought I was doing it right. Thanks for putting me in my place lmfao

Welcome to the forum.

It's all good. Trust me, posting about a team specific potential player fit- isn't even close to not doing things right around here lol. You'll actually see a lot of that as we get closer and closer to the draft. It was a well thought out post, the dynamics of talent rich lines like Bama and Michigan are super interesting. Especially when they take on different roles season to season. 

I just wish the Falcons sub was more active. It looks like you'll be a valuable addition. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ll just treat this as a general Rashan Gary thread.

He’s one of the hardest guys to grade in this draft.  It’s obvious how well he moves on film and his grade is almost entirely reliant on projecting that athleticism to the interior because he’s absolutely not suited to be an edge rusher.  The combine will make or break him.

I'll Pass on Gary unless quite a few better players and DT's are taken already i don't dislike him but he for sure wouldn't be my 1st choice or in my top 8 players at pick 14.

Players i would take before Gary would be   Williams, Oliver, Simmons, Lawrence, Greedy, White, Jonah, Bosa, Allen, Ferrell, Ford, Polite, and maybe Baker.  Would have been Brown as well but he is going back to school i see.  Gary, Davis, and Watkins are pretty similar to me at DT talent wise and guys i would trade down and take but not over those other guys 1st.

6 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

I'll Pass on Gary unless quite a few better players and DT's are taken already i don't dislike him but he for sure wouldn't be my 1st choice or in my top 8 players at pick 14.

Players i would take before Gary would be   Williams, Oliver, Simmons, Lawrence, Greedy, White, Jonah, Bosa, Allen, Ferrell, Ford, Polite, and maybe Baker.  Would have been Brown as well but he is going back to school i see.  Gary, Davis, and Watkins are pretty similar to me at DT talent wise and guys i would trade down and take but not over those other guys 1st.

The thing is, he can play but I am concerned about his body and his approach to it. I think he is going to show up in the 260's at the combine to run fast when I would like him at the 285 -290 with his frame and he could really be a force inside and have scheme versitility. As much as I love Zach Allen who is similar in size, Gary should be the go to when it comes to the best inside out player in this class but it all depends on how Gary approaches his weight, he might try to lose weight and be an edge exclusive guy

Archived