GDT: We don't control our own destiny edition

warfelg

7 minutes ago, jebrick said:

So they need to get a top 2 pick to get Bosa like the Broncos did with Miller?

Denver had a great TEAM.  The team won despite Manning.  They could get after the QB and had very good CBs.  Denver did not get any Fa in 2015 that mad any difference in their season.  Now in 2014 they made some impact signings and got destroyed in the SB but those players were very important the following year.

Point is that the Steelers need talent.  Drafting 20th does not lend itself to getting the type of impact player on defense that they need.

Agreed, they need to trade up for an elite defensive playmaker.  Wish they did that last year to get Derwin

Very disappointing season.

Between the Bell mess, the Boz mess and the refereeing mess, this season slipped down the tubes.  I still wonder if we had caught a couple of breaks (i.e. the Grimble fumble in Denver) the season may not have snowballed the way it did. 

For those of us who've been calling for drafting heavily on defense the last couple years, I think we were vindicated.   Why the FO doesn't see this is as a closing window with Ben, I will never know.  

12 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Denver had a great TEAM.  The team won despite Manning.  They could get after the QB and had very good CBs.  Denver did not get any Fa in 2015 that mad any difference in their season.  Now in 2014 they made some impact signings and got destroyed in the SB but those players were very important the following year.

Point is that the Steelers need talent.  Drafting 20th does not lend itself to getting the type of impact player on defense that they need.

The general thought is spurring the long term cap negatives and signing people to fill the remaining holes on roster with a Qb going into final years...pretty sure they signed talib that year, drafted Ray and signed Demarcus Ware who still produced well.

57 minutes ago, jebrick said:

That’s the point. Denver made a lot of FA signings that changed the team during that span.

this is a interesting tweet

would not be shocked if he did step away after 2020. Tomlin is young, but 13 years coaching at this level in the NFL has to wear on you..cowher lasted 15? don't think tomlin would retire, but I can see him stepping away for a few yrs..especially if we have 2 more annoying yrs like this one

I know some will comment “really this is what did it” but today’s game has me ready to move on. 

Why today?

I can excuse the Denver game some, we were on a winning streak, came in against a team that had their backs against the wall and more to fight for than us. 

The Oakland game, I’m sorry but I put the blame on Ben. Star QBs fight to play, they don’t be ok with being benched like that. And it’s complete BS that the shot took that long to take effect. 

But today. 

Your playoff life is on the line. Yes you have to hope the Browns win, but how do you not get so fired up against the Bengals scout team to blow them out of the damn stadium? Like today should have been 42-6 at best. Just absolutely put no doubt in them. Run it up so much it’s the Dobbs-Ridley show in the 4th quarter. Shutting them down so much on defense even McCullers is getting sacks. 

4 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I wonder if Tomlin/Colbert/Ben would all step down together if that’s the case?

And if it is....why not go balls out for a SB?

can see ben retiring, tomlin resigning and colbert being moved to a different role in the FO(can see him being a steelers lifer ) all in one offseason

I hope they go all out on 2019

1 minute ago, August4th said:

can see ben retiring, tomlin resigning and colbert being moved to a different role in the FO(can see him being a steelers lifer ) all in one offseason

I hope they go all out on 2019

I can really see them planning that out and as far as Colbert, I can see him becoming a minority owner. 

3 minutes ago, Livewire said:

7-2-1.:(

I'm just stunned how this season imploded in the second half of the year. So many factors contributed to it not just one thing.

sad thing is..this has happened before..2009 and 2012 teams started 6-2 and missed the playoffs ..all 3 years had loses to bad raider teams lol

Archived