BirdBox {Netflix)

Manny/Patrick

It was watchable but nothing special. The hype, whether its driven by some behind-the-scenes Netflix social media campaign or old fashioned organic word of mouth, is actively making me hate this movie though. No film this mediocre should be talked about this much. There was nothing special about it, and the ending was campy and lame.

Some of Sandra's scenes were cringe worthy too. Its not a horrible film by any means, but its pure 6.5-7 / 10 type watchable but not memorable.

I agree with the general sentiment that this movie was decent, but nothing special. Perfectly watchable, sure, but not anything groundbreaking.

The writing was pretty thin, and the ending was pretty flat. It's supposed to be a positive note to end on, but it's really not positive at all when you think about it. All those people are still stuck in that place for maybe the rest of their lives. Tbh I was kinda hoping that when Rick was revealed it turned out to be someone from an earlier scene who had the funky eyes.

I also don't like when they do one of these kind of movies without providing any basis for what is happening. Like if it's a zombie movie or a pandemic movie, it's a virus, sure. If it's an exorcist kind of movie, it's because of god/the devil. But this movie, it's just that there's a thing that's turning everyone crazy, and that's it. No background of why it happened or anything more than that. Kinda makes it hard to buy into the universe of the movie.

I definitely think Netflix has some guerilla social marketing campaign with this, paying people to post memes and crap. And it's working I guess, since they got me to watch it. But it's an extremely alright movie, nothing more nothing less.

12 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

I definitely think Netflix has some guerilla social marketing campaign with this, paying people to post memes and crap. And it's working I guess, since they got me to watch it. But it's an extremely alright movie, nothing more nothing less.

I am far from a conspiracy theorist, but it is kind of odd how there were hundreds of movies released in 2018 and this movie had more memes than all others combined, it seemed like.  And, those other movies were generally huge box office titles.  Marvel/DC movies, mostly.  

I seriously thought that this movie was some massively hyped movie that had come out, everyone went to the theater to see it on release day, and I had been living under a rock.  When I found out it was a Netflix thing....I couldn't understand what the heck was going on.  lol

On 1/1/2019 at 5:03 AM, Malfatron said:

is the book worth reading then?

Not a must read or anything, but I enjoyed it. It takes more risks than the movie, and at least somewhat does a better job of trying to explain what is going on, so for that alone it's better than the adaptation.

Archived