Dynasty and Keepers Offseason Talk

EaglesPeteC

On 3/7/2020 at 6:07 PM, SmittyBacall said:

Fellas, I need your help. I'm in a 12-man keeper league with the following format: QB, WR, WR, WR, TE, RB, RB, FLEX. I get to keep 3 players (for a max of three years).

Keep 3 of the following 4: DJ Metcalf, Deebo Samuel, Terry McLaurin, Diontae Johnson. 

The bolded are easy keeps, but I'm a bit torn on the last two. McLaurin is the better receiver and the #1 option in WAS, but I'm skeptical of keeping a receiver tied to Haskins. To his credit, he finished the year somewhat strong. On the other hand, Johnson I feel will step in as a high-volume #2 in a much better offense - assuming Big Ben is back and healthy. I'm leaning McLaurin. I feel Johnson will be easier to scoop up later via the draft (definitely will fly under the radar more), even though fantasy gurus everywhere will probably be singing his praises come draft time. 

I'm keeping McLaurin.

I would keep McLaurin as well.  He already has an established connection with Haskins from their time at Ohio State.  Ron Rivera brought in Scott Turner to install his father's version of the Coryell offense, which means a lot of downfield passing- a strength of Haskins, and using McLaurin's speed as well.  Even if Haskins falters, Kyle Allen knows the offense so there won't be that much of a drop-off if Haskins doesn't do well.  And if the Redskins do poorly, then Trevor Lawrence is likely throwing the ball to McLaurin in 2021 and he's still a keeper for you. 

• 1 month later...

After the draft, trades (so many trades) and now rookie draft I have:

Josh Allen

Ezekiel Elliott
Christian McCaffrey

Odell Beckham
DeAndre Hopkins

Le'Veon Bell
Adam Thielen
Tom Brady

Greg Zuerlein
LA RAMS

Ben Roethlisberger
Devonta Freeman
Darrell Henderson Jr
Brandin Cooks
Sterling Shepard
Josh Reynolds
Parris Campbell
Steve Sims Jr
David Njoku

TAXI: 
Justin Jefferson - 1.12
Jacob Eason - 3.07
Deejay Dallas - 4.04
Josiah Deguara - 5.07
Jauan Jennings - UDFA

The problem is my draft capital:
2021 - 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 2x 5th.
2022 - 2x 5th

I'm thinking make the most of the players I have this year then trade a one or two of the starters to recoup some draft picks. I'm also aware that some of the players are getting on a bit - hence why I drafted Eason with Brady and Big Ben 'on the clock'. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2020 at 12:06 PM, NcFinest9erFan said:

1 point PPR league plus .5 per carry.

At the moment, would you keep Chubb with Hunt looming around or Le'Veon Bell? At the moment, the jets have yet to resign Powell and/or Ty Montgomery.

Undoubtedly Chubb. 

The friction between Bell and Gase is mounting and with the additions of Perine and Gore, I don't even think he's a great volume play this year (which was just about his only saving grace last season). 

• Like 1

This is my first time doing a keeper league using the previous year's auction values. Am I foolish for wanting to hold onto 3 top tier assets in Godwin ($20), DCook ($39), and MThomas ($55)? 

Thomas is the one that I've been debating considering the price tag, but he's about as safe as a WR1 gets and I'm concerned I won't be able to outbid some of these teams keeping guys like DJ Chark for the blue chip talent. 

20 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Undoubtedly Chubb. 

The friction between Bell and Gase is mounting and with the additions of Perine and Gore, I don't even think he's a great volume play this year (which was just about his only saving grace last season). 

Its funny that shortly after Gase said he wants to scale back on Bell's workload that they sign Frank Gore. Even a 37  years old, he's a threat to Bell because of Gase.

I really think that if Chubb gets 65% or so for the snap count, he'll be fine but I guess well see what happens.

So I get to keep two keepers off my team from last year but you cannot keep the same player more than twice (meaning you can own them 3 times in a row) currently my options are ...

Ju. Jones in the 1st, M. Evans in the 2nd, M. Mack in the 3rd, Ju. Smith-Schuster in the 5th, A.J. Green in the 6th, D. Prescott in the 13th.

It's a ppr 6pts per passing td 12 man league. What two should I keep?

On 5/14/2020 at 3:36 PM, SaveOurSonics said:

This is my first time doing a keeper league using the previous year's auction values. Am I foolish for wanting to hold onto 3 top tier assets in Godwin ($20), DCook ($39), and MThomas ($55)? 

Thomas is the one that I've been debating considering the price tag, but he's about as safe as a WR1 gets and I'm concerned I won't be able to outbid some of these teams keeping guys like DJ Chark for the blue chip talent. 

Whats you budget 200$ that would leave you over half spent on 3 players. how many starters do you need? does left over money carry over to you fab dollars?

I am in a Salary Cap Dynasty League. We are prepping to head in to free agency and I am starting to formulate my plan and set my board etc.

Looking at my current roster, here are my RB's and WR's. Unless I cut someone and take a cap hit, it looks like I may only have 1 spot to add a WR or a RB. Which group do you think is weaker and could use another player?

RB's

Christian McCaffrey, Joe Mixon, Marlon Mack, Derrius Guice, Justice Hill, Anthony McFarland

WR's

DeAndre Hopkins, Davante Parker, Tyler Lockett, Alshon Jeffrey, James Washington, Devin Duvernay

Top Free Agent Options:

RB: Kenyan Drake, Raheem Mostart, Matt Brieda, James White

WR: DJ Chark, Darius Slayton, Will Fuller, Julian Edleman

On 5/4/2020 at 7:45 PM, DerbyRam said:

After the draft, trades (so many trades) and now rookie draft I have:

Josh Allen

Ezekiel Elliott
Christian McCaffrey

Odell Beckham
DeAndre Hopkins

Le'Veon Bell
Adam Thielen
Tom Brady

Greg Zuerlein
LA RAMS

Ben Roethlisberger
Devonta Freeman
Darrell Henderson Jr
Brandin Cooks
Sterling Shepard
Josh Reynolds
Parris Campbell
Steve Sims Jr
David Njoku

TAXI: 
Justin Jefferson - 1.12
Jacob Eason - 3.07
Deejay Dallas - 4.04
Josiah Deguara - 5.07
Jauan Jennings - UDFA

The problem is my draft capital:
2021 - 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 2x 5th.
2022 - 2x 5th

I'm thinking make the most of the players I have this year then trade a one or two of the starters to recoup some draft picks. I'm also aware that some of the players are getting on a bit - hence why I drafted Eason with Brady and Big Ben 'on the clock'. 

Unless a team is planning on wowing you with an offer, keep what you have into the season. Rookie draft picks can very overrated. That looks like a team pretty prepped to make a run. I'd stand pat. 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 12:35 AM, vikes635 said:

Whats you budget 200$ that would leave you over half spent on 3 players. how many starters do you need? does left over money carry over to you fab dollars?

$200 budget and I'm already down $12 for previous year's trading. FAAB dollars don't carry over. 

It's a 2 QB / 2 Flex league. If I do keep Cook/Godwin/Thomas, this is what my presumed budget would be per position: 

QB (3) - $15
RB (4) - $40 
WR (3) - $13
TE (2) - $7
DST (1) - $1

I realize what I'm laying out seems like a lot of evidence to keep someone else besides Thomas. With that said, my strategy would be to spend big on my RB2 ($25-$30) and then pretty much nickel and dime the rest of my roster. Maybe I'm basing my intent far too much on last year's draft results (several quality players went for less than $5, including QBs), but I'd be content walking out with Daniel Jones, Drew Lock, and Tyrod Taylor as my QBs, for example. 

Someone with experience in this format.....tell me I'm crazy. 

On 4/4/2020 at 1:20 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

I would keep McLaurin as well.  He already has an established connection with Haskins from their time at Ohio State.  Ron Rivera brought in Scott Turner to install his father's version of the Coryell offense, which means a lot of downfield passing- a strength of Haskins, and using McLaurin's speed as well.  Even if Haskins falters, Kyle Allen knows the offense so there won't be that much of a drop-off if Haskins doesn't do well.  And if the Redskins do poorly, then Trevor Lawrence is likely throwing the ball to McLaurin in 2021 and he's still a keeper for you. 

Agree. I've got McLaurin on one of my rosters only, but in that league, he's going nowhere. I love his talent and he seems like that "coach's dream" kind of player who you're not going to have to worry about getting phased out for stupid reasons. He's going to continue to earn opportunities and grow. I think he has a bright future. Produced with multiple QBs in 19, too. I mean, what more do you need to see from a rookie WR season? 

14 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

$200 budget and I'm already down $12 for previous year's trading. FAAB dollars don't carry over. 

It's a 2 QB / 2 Flex league. If I do keep Cook/Godwin/Thomas, this is what my presumed budget would be per position: 

QB (3) - $15
RB (4) - $40 
WR (3) - $13
TE (2) - $7
DST (1) - $1

I realize what I'm laying out seems like a lot of evidence to keep someone else besides Thomas. With that said, my strategy would be to spend big on my RB2 ($25-$30) and then pretty much nickel and dime the rest of my roster. Maybe I'm basing my intent far too much on last year's draft results (several quality players went for less than $5, including QBs), but I'd be content walking out with Daniel Jones, Drew Lock, and Tyrod Taylor as my QBs, for example. 

Someone with experience in this format.....tell me I'm crazy. 

I'm guessing people over spent and that was the reason there was such good value for cheap. I bet if you put Thomas back in you would be able to land him for around 40$ 4 RB's for 40$ is going to be tuff to do, your number two would end up being a satellite back. 7$ on TE is probably to much and you don't need a back up so if you don't start 2 I would just stream a TE on your starters bye week. What other Options do you have as far as keepers go? You have a WR 1 in goodwin I would land a solid couple RB's then try to get this years goodwin with 15-20$ buy. Maybe Calvin Ridley? 

8 hours ago, vikes635 said:

I'm guessing people over spent and that was the reason there was such good value for cheap. I bet if you put Thomas back in you would be able to land him for around 40$ 4 RB's for 40$ is going to be tuff to do, your number two would end up being a satellite back. 7$ on TE is probably to much and you don't need a back up so if you don't start 2 I would just stream a TE on your starters bye week. What other Options do you have as far as keepers go? You have a WR 1 in goodwin I would land a solid couple RB's then try to get this years goodwin with 15-20$ buy. Maybe Calvin Ridley? 

I've always held the opinion that at the end of the day, the team with the top talent wins. Depth can be easy to find and a lot of those middling picks/values are gambles anyways. Considering the fact some teams will actually have more than $200 to spend, I'm expecting some serious inflation from guys like Thomas, McCaffrey, etc. You're guessing Thomas goes for $40, whereas I'm genuinely estimating he goes for $70 in an open bid war. 

My only other realistic option would be Aaron Jones for $36, which is a very fair value. I just have more concerns of Jones busting than I do Thomas. If I keep Thomas, I would attempt to trade Jones to recoup some of the money I lost last year (though I wouldn't expect to get more than $5). 

My biggest worry is that you're exactly right with your first sentence. People overspent last year and if they correct this season, my estimations are pretty worthless. As of now I'm projecting that I could walk away with a team that looks something like: 

QB: DJones / DLock / TTaylor 

RB: DCook / JTaylor / RJones / CAkers / AMattison

WR: MThomas / CGodwin / JCrowder / DiJohnson / DSlayton

TE: CHerndon / THockenson (a lot of people choose to settle for 1 TE, I prefer to always have insurance) 

8 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

I've always held the opinion that at the end of the day, the team with the top talent wins. Depth can be easy to find and a lot of those middling picks/values are gambles anyways. Considering the fact some teams will actually have more than $200 to spend, I'm expecting some serious inflation from guys like Thomas, McCaffrey, etc. You're guessing Thomas goes for $40, whereas I'm genuinely estimating he goes for $70 in an open bid war. 

My only other realistic option would be Aaron Jones for $36, which is a very fair value. I just have more concerns of Jones busting than I do Thomas. If I keep Thomas, I would attempt to trade Jones to recoup some of the money I lost last year (though I wouldn't expect to get more than $5). 

My biggest worry is that you're exactly right with your first sentence. People overspent last year and if they correct this season, my estimations are pretty worthless. As of now I'm projecting that I could walk away with a team that looks something like: 

QB: DJones / DLock / TTaylor 

RB: DCook / JTaylor / RJones / CAkers / AMattison

WR: MThomas / CGodwin / JCrowder / DiJohnson / DSlayton

TE: CHerndon / THockenson (a lot of people choose to settle for 1 TE, I prefer to always have insurance) 

My opinion is keep Jones, Cook, and Goodwin. I do think Jones will regress this year but will still be a low end RB1 - High end RB2 which is worth the 39$ IMO. If Thomas goes for 70$ I bet that team doesn't do much unless they strike gold with cheaper options no one is predicting will happen. I mean spending half your budget on a 2 solid RB's and a WR1 is better IMO than 2 number 1 WRs and 1 RB. plus the former gives ya a few extra bucks to build your roster. If you truly believe Thomas will go for 70$ nominate him first and forget about him