Kyrie Irving Traded to Boston

CWood21

1 hour ago, catcheryea said:

basketball forum psa: please don't get in debates unless the other side has at least 850 posts

Posts like these aren't productive, against forum rules, and don't invite new members to be active.  Stick to discussing basketball.

1 hour ago, tonyto36 said:

I really don't see how comparing Brown to Ingram - the #2 pick who many teams view as a future star, is somehow a negative to Browns physical abilities.

Brown is an elite athlete.  Anyone who has watched him can see that.   Lebron even gave high praise for him and thought he was going to develop into something.

Ingram is longer and has the frame to add more muscle whereas Brown is already solidly built.   Brown is faster, much quicker laterally and is much better rising up through traffic.  He has what pro programs view as "real jumping ability" where he can truly elevate in a variety of different ways - off both feet, together, on the run, standstill, etc.  

They're always going to be linked closely.  Ingram was the 2nd overall pick, Jaylen Brown was the 3rd overall pick.  Add on the fact that they're both wings, and they're going to be tied together.

Look at Jaylen Brown's game, what exactly leads you to believe he's a future star?  He's not an elite ball hander, doesn't score the ball at a high rate, etc.

26 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

They're always going to be linked closely.  Ingram was the 2nd overall pick, Jaylen Brown was the 3rd overall pick.  Add on the fact that they're both wings, and they're going to be tied together.

Look at Jaylen Brown's game, what exactly leads you to believe he's a future star?  He's not an elite ball hander, doesn't score the ball at a high rate, etc.

Show me a rookie that has those things lol 

it can't possibly be the fact that he made leaps and bounds in improvements throughout the year and made big shots and scored from generally all over the court throughout the year? 

2 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

it can't possibly be the fact that he made leaps and bounds in improvements throughout the year and made big shots and scored from generally all over the court throughout the year? 

Has what things?

He improved a lot as a shooter and a defender. His ballhandling is still atrocious.

Elite ball handling skills and scores the ball at a high rate.

Brown's ball handling improved throughout the year as well and while he's not probably ever gonna be a guy who runs the offense extensively, he showed plenty of creativity and ability to get to the rim. 

1 minute ago, Troy Brown said:

Elite ball handling skills and scores the ball at a high rate.

Brown's ball handling improved throughout the year as well and while he's not probably ever gonna be a guy who runs the offense extensively, he showed plenty of creativity and ability to get to the rim. 

He showed he can attack a closeout. He didn't show he can use his handle to get to the rim outside of that. He didn't show "plenty of creativity." His dribble moves are fairly usual and he's far from a good passer. He's a 3-and-D player. He could be an elite one. Why do people act like that's a criticism.

Are you really saying that no NBA rookies are elite ball handlers? And that none score at a high rate?

15 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

Zebras don't change stripes.  IF you're expecting Jaylen Brown to magically become a strong 3PT shooter, I've got some stuff to sell you.  Nobody is writing him off, but to call him a future star based on a very limited sample size is mind boggling to me.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Zebras don't change stripes.  IF you're expecting Jaylen Brown to magically become a strong 3PT shooter, I've got some stuff to sell you.  Nobody is writing him off, but to call him a future star based on a very limited sample size is mind boggling to me.

It's not even the sample size thing that makes the argument invalid. It's that there's an expectation that he will become a drastically different type of player. Like you said, Zebras don't change stripes.

Just now, utley4568 said:

It's not even the sample size thing that makes the argument invalid. It's that there's an expectation that he will become a drastically different type of player. Like you said, Zebras don't change stripes.

I mean, you can pick a dozen different arguments to make based on some of the stances here.  I mean, I'm not going to say you can believe that Jaylen Brown can't be a star.  All I'm asking is that you post a bit of reasoning behind it.  What makes you think that Jaylen Brown in his 17 MPG last year indicates he's a future star?

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, you can pick a dozen different arguments to make based on some of the stances here.  I mean, I'm not going to say you can believe that Jaylen Brown can't be a star.  All I'm asking is that you post a bit of reasoning behind it.  What makes you think that Jaylen Brown in his 17 MPG last year indicates he's a future star?

That's fair. I've gotten frustrated lately by the "he hasn't even played an NBA game yet" stance and the "glad to see you can predict the future" retort, which both seem to be prevalent in the NBA forum nowadays. 

1 minute ago, utley4568 said:

He showed he can attack a closeout. He didn't show he can use his handle to get to the rim outside of that. He didn't show "plenty of creativity." His dribble moves are fairly usual and he's far from a good passer. He's a 3-and-D player. He could be an elite one. Why do people act like that's a criticism.

Are you really saying that no NBA rookies are elite ball handlers? And that none score at a high rate?

Name them. Which NBA rookies are elite ball handlers? Some score at a high rate. Not many. Not too many of the teenagers, too.

Yeah, Jaylen Brown showed no flashes of ability to get his own shot or get by anyone. Come on. Considering he couldn't do anything at the beginning of the year, I'd say his ability at the end was showing creativity. Jesus. You're telling me his skill set is that of a 3/d only? lol, whatever you say. I don't watch every Celtics games or anything. That'd be concerning considering his defense wasn't very good. 

I didn't say he was breaking guys down like he was James Harden. I said he showed flashes. Because he did.