Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

3 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Who in the world thinks AB pulls two firsts right now?

That was what I last saw ESPN report Pittsburgh was asking for him, but either way, he's not coming here.

Edit: It is now saying they expect them to look for a first round pick. For a player who will be 31 at the start of the season and will probably look like Oakland Randy Moss in Tennessee. His cap hit is north of 20 mil, but I'm not sure how much of that Pitt has to absorb if he's traded.

Edited by TitanSS

Some mocks are (wrongfully) mocking his cousin to us. If that were to be the route we'd take, I'd trade it for AB. 

Sometimes we get cute and easy over value draft picks. In all honesty, since Lewan, what 1st round pick is a slam drunk resign at this point? 4 years in we're still at the starting line with Mariota... Could go either way. Conklin had a nice start, but needs a bike back season in the biggest way (we'll pick up his 5th year option in May, right?!) CD84 and Jackson are far from sure things at this point. 

Thing is if I can get 2 more elite years out of AB and 2-3 more good years, it's a solid return on the investment. 

By the way... After a trade, his cap numbers would be... 15M in 19, 11M in 20, and 12.5M in 21...3 years 38.5M. Find a better value... 

Of course, there would be a restructure /extension... But considering there are still 3 years left on the contract, it won't be insanely unreasonable. 

Part of the reason we have a strong locker room is there aren't WR divas who get deactivated for skipping practices before the biggest game of the year.  Think about that - how do you put a guy like that on the team?  There aren't many unforgivable sins in the NFL but that should be one of them.  The dude has been in the league 10 years - this is who he is.  He's not listening to Lewan or anyone else to become a "team player".

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, titanrick said:

Part of the reason we have a strong locker room is there aren't WR divas who get deactivated for skipping practices before the biggest game of the year.  Think about that - how do you put a guy like that on the team?  There aren't many unforgivable sins in the NFL but that should be one of them.  The dude has been in the league 10 years - this is who he is.  He's not listening to Lewan or anyone else to become a "team player".

Brown is great. As much as I've been dying to have an elite WR on this team, I wouldn't do it either.  Elite WR's don't win Super Bowls. They just don't.  That draft pick and money would be better spent on FA's and other well scouted positions.  

Ignoring the whole team dynamic, I just don't think it's smart football wise at this point for this team.  If it was Khalil Mack, Von Miller, Aaron Donald...yes first round pick, $20 million and a own personal parking space. :)  

How do you guys expect the ILB position to be handled?

I think the FO/coaching staff figured that would work itself out, with Evans taking over/starting beside Woodyard down the stretch and Brown settling in to his role as a nickel LB...but Brown was so good and developed in to maybe the best LB on the team, and there's no way you don't start him next year...so do you sit Woodyard who is coming off back to back strong seasons for Evans? Or leave your first rounder who showed a ton of improvement as the season went on as the 3rd ILB?

Or do you go and "put the 4 best on the field" and try to run some kind of Evans-Woodyard-Brown-Landry LB corp?

I can't imagine doing something like trading Woodyard away cause having 3 starter quality ILBs is a very nice thing to have given how physical the position is and chances are you're going to have some form of injuries at the position.

So, I'm just spit balling here, but I saw today that the Lions will consider taking a QB at 8th overall, and it got me thinking... Should we try to make a run at Stafford if he becomes available?  I think if we got him here he'd compete with Marcus for the starting job and more than likely beat him out. I'm all for Marcus getting his last chance to succeed and be our long term guy, but on the other side of that coin I see a scenario where we bring in a guy like Stafford who is a superior passer and put him in a situation where he could really thrive with one of the most talented teams around him that he's ever had.  It's probably very unlikely, but if Stafford became available I think I'd at least entertain the conversation.

10 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

So, I'm just spit balling here, but I saw today that the Lions will consider taking a QB at 8th overall, and it got me thinking... Should we try to make a run at Stafford if he becomes available?  I think if we got him here he'd compete with Marcus for the starting job and more than likely beat him out. I'm all for Marcus getting his last chance to succeed and be our long term guy, but on the other side of that coin I see a scenario where we bring in a guy like Stafford who is a superior passer and put him in a situation where he could really thrive with one of the most talented teams around him that he's ever had.  It's probably very unlikely, but if Stafford became available I think I'd at least entertain the conversation.

Eh I’m not a big Stafford fan. He’s had plenty of talent around him in his career and failed. He’s a classic gunslinger which inflates his stats. Sure he’s a better QB but I wouldnt say he’s all that much of a better player than Mariota(if that makes sense).  I just can’t see him being successful here when he’s failed numerous times with pretty solid weapons around him throughout his career.

3 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Eh I’m not a big Stafford fan. He’s had plenty of talent around him in his career and failed. He’s a classic gunslinger which inflates his stats. Sure he’s a better QB but I wouldnt say he’s all that much of a better player than Mariota(if that makes sense).  I just can’t see him being successful here when he’s failed numerous times with pretty solid weapons around him throughout his career.

Yeah I hear ya. It'd probably create more problems than it'd ultimately be worth long term anyways. He'd just be a stop gap for a year or two and then that'd be that. If Marcus is going to flame out here we're set up pretty well with QB prospects over the next two years with Tua/Fromm next year and then Lawrence in 2021.   

2 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

Yeah I hear ya. It'd probably create more problems than it'd ultimately be worth long term anyways. He'd just be a stop gap for a year or two and then that'd be that. If Marcus is going to flame out here we're set up pretty well with QB prospects over the next two years with Tua/Fromm next year and then Lawrence in 2021.   

Yep. Getting Lawrence is my dream but I just don’t think we’ll be that bad unless we actively tank for him.