Jaguars void guarantees on RB Leonard Fournette's rookie deal

ET80

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Odd decision. Hope Fournette goes elsewhere now. He deserves better.

How so? He's a throwback RB who is injured all the time and has acted like a clown multiple times this season. The Jaguars deserve better for taking him #4 overall in the draft.

3 hours ago, Elky said:

Good move. He sucks. On the same plane as Trent Richardson; got ridiculously overrated in his rookie year because of volume stats and then his inefficient running got exposed the following season.

Agreed. This "talent" everyone keeps pointing out is a myth. He's big and fast, otherwise has no assets to his game. Doesn't work hard, always injured. 

5 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

How so? He's a throwback RB who is injured all the time and has acted like a clown multiple times this season. The Jaguars deserve better for taking him #4 overall in the draft.

Yelling at the fan was definitely in bad taste, but what else did he do this year that was clown-ish?

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Running in unprovoked, pushing then squaring up and swinging on Shaq Lawson 

He got involved in a scrap. Majority of NFL players do/will. Do you also consider AJ Green and Andre Johnson clowns?

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Rookie contract with no guaranteed money. 

Can rookies who have been cut negotiate salary? I don't think so, but want to make sure.

Because if they can, this may just be a straight up stupid decision by the Jags. Fournette playing on a rookie deal with $2M/year guaranteed is a net positive, whereas by removing the guaranteed money he may decide not to play if he's traded and essentially force the Jags to cut him so that he can negotiate a better deal.

37 minutes ago, biggio7 said:

Because he got suspended during the season. There had to be something in the contract that voided the guaranteed money for any type of suspensions.

Apparently there are teams that are putting in clauses to void deals even over fines, which is absurd. Some busted draft pick a team wants out from under shows up after "Coughlin time" to one meeting and all of the sudden that guy gets a small fine, then loses millions of dollars. But they can get away with it when the entire NFL fanbase freaks out when Joey Bosa holds out over the details of his deal.

53 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

You're going to need to be more specific about your confusion or disbelief.

How does he deserve better? Because of skipping treatments? Because of missing team meetings? Because of the multiple suspensions? Because of not being in game shape? Because of his poor production on the field? Because of his inability to stay healthy?

All he cares about is $$$

317cmmo.jpg

His body is how he gets money, he has to take care of that. Since the league has put a ceiling/cap on rookie deals he like many other players are making sure he's healthy going forward. Not many NFL teams sign unhealthy players. I haven't seen any official report on his hamstring, all we can do is speculate. 

Don't give me that he sucks crap either. When your QB is trash and there are no WRs on the perimeter who does the opposing DC focus on stopping? It ain't Bortles. People were saying Derrick Henry sucks leading up to that 200 yd game. Its all about utilizing your opportunity. Same goes for LF and his availability. Why play out a year when the QB is collecting checks to be one of the worse QBs in the league? Should Bortles' contract be voided for sucking? 

I can understand the gripe about him getting suspended and possibly being a locker room cancer, but that comes with losing. 

34 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

His attitude has been terrible, he isn't an asset in the passing game,and he's injury prone, I don't blame them for cutting their losses.

Jaguars have a passing game? I think you too would have an injury history and bad attitude being told to take multiple hits per game because opposing DCs gameplans are to stop only you. 

11 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Could you imagine? A professional caring about their salary.

no one said he shouldn't care about money, it just shouldn't be the only or maybe even main thing. Pretty simple concept, work hard, be a good teammate... you know things like that. Easy rules to follow... but for some showing up on time is just an inconceivable ask.

7 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Rookie contract with no guaranteed money. 

Sure, but it's a top-5 rookie contract. He'd count $8m against the cap for the next two seasons. You can find better for cheaper.

35 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Could you imagine? A professional caring about their salary.

Right? Whenever I get paid, I also convert my paycheck to $20 bills and post pics on social media with fat stacks. Well for me it's nickels instead of twenties but same deal.

Archived