Around the NFL - Playoffs Baby

Texas_OutLaw7

3 minutes ago, D82 said:

I mean, a tad pricey maybe...but that's the nature of the beast. Jackson was another guy I'd hoped we'd look at.

I'm being general here which will open me up to some criticism. Fine.  But I think you have to draft well, and then use free agency to fill those holes.  You're going to have to spend, but as D82 says it's the nature of the beast.  Richardson would have been nice.  Or Jackson.  How about a discounted Suh?  I would still look at Eifert.

13 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Nah. Not really. They can make the argument, but the case will be weak and full of holes that any unbiased person would see through. 

Daks first 20+ games he was top 10. The last 10+ games he was top 10. There was a period from Falcons '17 through Titans '18 that Dak was objectively bad. Thats better than ~20 of those QBs you listed. 

Oh this is very much a Dallas Cowboys forum. I think we all know which side the bias resides. 

I think many of them have a legitimate case:

2016 passing yards 20th

2017 passing yards 27th

2018 passing yards 22nd

And before you say that passing yards don't mean anything I'll ask that you step out of the 90s. The Rams and Saints are proof that it's a new day.

Just now, DaBoys said:

Oh this is very much a Dallas Cowboys forum. I think we all know which side the bias resides. 

I think many of them have a legitimate case:

2016 passing yards 20th

2017 passing yards 27th

2018 passing yards 22nd

And before you say that passing yards don't mean anything I'll ask that you step out of the 90s. The Rams and Saints are proof that it's a new day.

You mean when Drew Brees kept throwing for over 5K only to have a losing record? Do you have any empirical evidence that passing yards have any correlation to record? Because it didnt help out Big Ben. 

45 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

You mean when Drew Brees kept throwing for over 5K only to have a losing record? Do you have any empirical evidence that passing yards have any correlation to record? Because it didnt help out Big Ben. 

The Steelers missed the playoffs for the first time in forever. Passing yards have certainly helped big Ben. Both of those guys have rings. 

And Brees probably should have had another shot this year. IDK that's what I hear. I didn't watch the NFCC.

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

I wonder if Cincy would do AJ Green for a second. He's 31 on an expiring contract, but he's also not a lunatic.

Nah. I’d call the Giants and ask if we can trade any (or all) of our TEs and our 2nd round pick for Saquon Barkley and Evan Engram. Hey, if the Giants are having a fire sale....

3 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

The Steelers missed the playoffs for the first time in forever. Passing yards have certainly helped big Ben. Both of those guys have rings. 

And Brees probably should have had another shot this year. IDK that's what I hear. I didn't watch the NFCC.

Ok, so you and I dont share a similar opinion. Lets get 3rd parties not from the 90's. 

2017:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20114211/the-nfl-stats-matter-most-2017-offseason-bill-barnwell

Passing yards are not listed as a stat that matters. YPA and ANY/A are though. ANY/A being the one I bring up often.

From 2011?:

n comparison, total passing yards correlates with wins at 0.31. Compared with total rushing yards, total passing yards is less important in terms of winning games. 

https://www.thefootballeducator.com/seeing-the-forest-for-the-trees-stats-that-correlate-to-winning-in-the-nfl/

Here is from 2012:

On the other hand, passing yards bears almost no relationships with wins

http://www.footballperspective.com/correlating-passing-stats-with-wins/

2017:

Right off the bat, passing yards has a near zero correlation to wins and so tells us nothing about Win %.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/7/16/15976752/passing-yards-and-other-stats-i-hate

_---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay DaBoys. Your turn. Please provide evidence to support your opinion. 

6 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Nah. I’d call the Giants and ask if we can trade any (or all) of our TEs and our 2nd round pick for Saquon Barkley and Evan Engram. Hey, if the Giants are having a fire sale....

I was just musing about a forgotten player's potential trade value. I certainly didn't mean to imply our team would consider acquiring him.

3 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

LMAO.... as Dallas sits on their hands and watches the world go by. 

I literally can't fathom .... whatever. I'm so fed with this organization, it's hard to even put into words. 

Yup. Let's keep trotting out the Jeff Heath's and fodder DTs of the world and expect something different next. We pushed Seattle to trade us E.T. for almost a year, only to watch him go to Cleveland.

I'm furious.  

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Okay DaBoys. Your turn. Please provide evidence to support your opinion. 

Lol

2018: The Conference Championships were played by the #3 (KC), #5 (NE), #6 (LA), and #10 (NO) ranked teams in passing yards per game. 

SB: #5 over #6

2017: The Conference Championships were played by the #1 (NE), #18 (Jax), #8 (Phi), and #11 (Min) ranked teams in passing yards per game.

SB: #8 over #1

2016: The Conference Championships were played by the #8 (Pit), #4 (NE), #2 (Atl), and #5 (GB) ranked teams in passing yards per game.

SB: #4 over #2

2015: The Conference Championships were played by the #2 (NE), #20 (Den), #3 (Az), #24 (Car) ranked teams in passing yards per game.

SB: #20 over #24

2014: The  Conference Championships were played by the #8 (NE), #3 (Ind), #26 (Sea), and #9 (GB) ranked teams in passing yards per game.

SB: #8 over #26

2013: The Conference Championship were played by the #11 (NE), #1 (Den), #26 (Sea), and #30 (SF) ranked teams in passing yards per game.

SB: #26 over #1

2012: The Conference Championships were played by the #4 (NE), #12 (Bal), #5 (Atl), and #21 (SF) ranked teams in passing yards per game.

SB: #12 over #21

2011: The Conference Championship were played by the #2 (NE), #18 (Bal), #5 (NYG), and #27 (SF) ranked teams in passing yards per game. Should have been us over the Giants. We were ranked #7.

SB: #5 over #2

2010 SB: #5 (GB) over #15 (Pit)

2009 SB: #6 (NO) over #2 (Ind)

2008 SB: #16 (Pit) over #2 (Az)

22 of the last 32 Conference Championship participants have been ranked in the top 11 in passing yards per game.

14 of the last 20 Super Bowl participants have had top 10 offenses in passing yards per game.

12 of the last 20 SB participants have had top 6 offenses in passing yards per game. 

10 of the last 20 SB participants have had top 5 offenses in passing yards per game.

In the last 10 years only twice have both teams playing in the Super Bowl been ranked outside the top 10 in passing yards per game. In both instances the team with the higher ranking won.

In the Prescott era we are 1-2 in the playoffs. Our two losses came to the #5 (2016) and #6 (2018) ranked teams in passing yards per game.

In the Dak Prescott era, there have been 12 teams play in a Conference Championship game. 11 of those 12 teams had a passing yards per game ranking inside the top 11.

During the Prescott era, the lowest ranked team in passing yards per game to make it to a Conference Championship was the 2017 Jax Jags. Led by Blake Bortles. They ranked 18th. The highest ranking the Cowboys have had in the Prescott era is 20th in 2016. 

320swyu40407.gif

1. Do you have any direct counter to the argument I provided? If not, do you admit that several statistical analysis have all come to the same conclusion that there is a no/very low correlation between winning and passing yards?

2. As to your point, the average ranking of those superbowl teams is ~11-12. Which is a few notches above *average* - which would be 16. So by your own metrics, you dont have to have a lot of passing yards. You only have to be better than average. 

3. Do you see the flaw in your argument? You are creating very specific parameters that fit your narrative. That would be like me saying 7 out of the last 11 superbowls were won by a team not ranked in the top 5 in passing. 

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

1. Do you have any direct counter to the argument I provided? If not, do you admit that several statistical analysis have all come to the same conclusion that there is a no/very low correlation between winning and passing yards?

2. As to your point, the average ranking of those superbowl teams is ~11-12. Which is a few notches above *average* - which would be 16. So by your own metrics, you dont have to have a lot of passing yards. You only have to be better than average. 

3. Do you see the flaw in your argument? You are creating very specific parameters that fit your narrative. That would be like me saying 7 out of the last 11 superbowls were won by a team not ranked in the top 5 in passing. 

I set no parameters. I simply listed the passing yards rankings of the last 10 SB winners and Conference Championship participants. That's all. You can make your own observations.

2 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I set no parameters. I simply listed the passing yards rankings of the last 10 SB winners and Conference Championship participants. That's all. You can make your own observations.

My question was "do you have any empirical evidence that passing yards correlate to record". You changed the parameters to "here are some conference championship games". Those are two different questions. Additionally, even with those stats it just shows those teams are above average. Which ties to the fact that passing yards has little to no correlation. 

PS - you posted 11, not 10. 

Archived