International Football Thread

LeeEvans

2 hours ago, drd23 said:

Australia through after beating Honduras 3-1 leaves just one game to decide the final team in the WC finals.

We played okay and will be lucky to win a game in the group stage, but at least we qualified - which is more than can be said for a few more fancied teams

Easy there mate. I'm glad you guys made it though, I think you guys could definitely have a win in you if you get a decent group. I thought you had at least one really good performance at the Confed Cup. It seems like consistency is the bigger problem although I'm far from an expert on the Australian NT. 

5 hours ago, drd23 said:

which is more than can be said for a few more fancied teams

I mean, you had to go through the AFC playoffs. Then beat the 5th best team in CONCACAF.

Australia wouldn't make the playoffs in UEFA or the CONMEBOL and would likely struggle in the CAF. 

5 hours ago, texans_uk said:

I mean, you had to go through the AFC playoffs. Then beat the 5th best team in CONCACAF.

Australia wouldn't make the playoffs in UEFA or the CONMEBOL and would likely struggle in the CAF. 

True, but I'd imagine that that could be said for all the teams in Asia or CONCACAF with the exception of Mexico.  I never said Australia was any good ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like their could be huge upheaval for the home nations. 

Michael O'Neill is in demand and Northern Ireland will do well to keep ahold of him. 

Chris Coleman has already flew the best from Wales to the basket case of Sunderland. 

Martin O'Neill had a disastrous end to the campaign, but ultimately punched above their weight and he is also in demand. 

While Scotland are still managerless after firing Strachan. 

Honestly all 4 sides are terribly average and most would do well to avoid them. 

On 11/28/2017 at 6:40 AM, texans_uk said:

Looks like their could be huge upheaval for the home nations. 

Michael O'Neill is in demand and Northern Ireland will do well to keep ahold of him. 

Chris Coleman has already flew the best from Wales to the basket case of Sunderland. 

Martin O'Neill had a disastrous end to the campaign, but ultimately punched above their weight and he is also in demand. 

While Scotland are still managerless after firing Strachan. 

Honestly all 4 sides are terribly average and most would do well to avoid them. 

It's a shame to see Coleman but I can't blame him. I don't see any way Michael O'Neill stays with NI, all of his core players are going to be retiring and I just don't think think he stays around for the rebuild. 

Group of F looking like the Group of Death.

Iceland's first ever World Cup match being against Messi's Argentina will be cool.

Russia/Saudi Arabia is the worst World Cup opener of all time. Hopefully it's Uruguay/Egypt advancing from that awful group.

Tough draw for the US. 

10 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Group of F looking like the Group of Death.

Iceland's first ever World Cup match being against Messi's Argentina will be cool.

Russia/Saudi Arabia is the worst World Cup opener of all time. Hopefully it's Uruguay/Egypt advancing from that awful group.

Tough draw for the US. 

Group of death again...

I don't think that there is a real "Group of Death" this time around.  There's a couple of easier groups (A and G in particular) and a whole lot of fairly even groups imo, with H probably the most even

It'd be hilarious if England failed to make it out of that group.

• 3 weeks later...