2019 Offseason Preview/FA Rumors

jetskid007

1 hour ago, barnaby8787 said:

This is worth noting. Not many are as well connected to the org as Tony Pauline

https://mobile.twitter.com/BleavPodcasts/status/1096088701812330496

Interesting, always liked Pauline a lot, kinda hope he’s wrong here but I wouldn’t be mad if he was right. Think OL is gonna be the overwhelming focus of the offseason and more so looking for complementary skill players that fit Gase’s scheme I.e. Humphries, Coleman, Hogan, Cobb, Austin, Yeldon, Davis, Ingram, Anderson.

I think Macc is not in the position to not shoot his shot for Bell unless there is another offensive playmaker on the trading block. If he doesn't make a move for him, I'll assume there is another star player on his radar like AJ Green, Brown, or someone else. If we don't show progress, this could be his last offseason. He has to bring in a player defenses have to plan for one way or another. 

I think we will offer Bell. The only thing I would be worried about is if a contender manages to free up cap space and make him an offer as well. 

6 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I think Macc is not in the position to not shoot his shot for Bell unless there is another offensive playmaker on the trading block. If he doesn't make a move for him, I'll assume there is another star player on his radar like AJ Green, Brown, or someone else. If we don't show progress, this could be his last offseason. He has to bring in a player defenses have to plan for one way or another. 

I think we will offer Bell. The only thing I would be worried about is if a contender manages to free up cap space and make him an offer as well. 

I would be encouraged if we didn't throw the moon and stars at Bell in order to sign him.  I have been concerned that Macc would give him ungodly sums of money out of panic to save his job.  I think that the stats bear out that RB has the smallest variant in production between mid level guys and stars of any position in the NFL.  Spending big time WR money on a RB has always seemed foolish to me.  I didn't even like signing Crowell to the small deal he got.  I am a fan of drafting a RB between rounds 2-7 every year and hoping for the best.  I'd rather have a full stable of fresh legs, than 1 superstar with crazy mileage and a huge price tag. 

The other thing it would tell me if we didn't really pursue Bell is that Macc feels somewhat secure with his job.  And that he is ok taking a bit of the longer approach than manufacturing a few extra wins with millions of dollars.  Not sure how this part makes me feel since i am not enamored with Macc's drafting, or his FA moves.   

5 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

I would be encouraged if we didn't throw the moon and stars at Bell in order to sign him.  I have been concerned that Macc would give him ungodly sums of money out of panic to save his job.  I think that the stats bear out that RB has the smallest variant in production between mid level guys and stars of any position in the NFL.  Spending big time WR money on a RB has always seemed foolish to me.  I didn't even like signing Crowell to the small deal he got.  I am a fan of drafting a RB between rounds 2-7 every year and hoping for the best.  I'd rather have a full stable of fresh legs, than 1 superstar with crazy mileage and a huge price tag. 

The other thing it would tell me if we didn't really pursue Bell is that Macc feels somewhat secure with his job.  And that he is ok taking a bit of the longer approach than manufacturing a few extra wins with millions of dollars.  Not sure how this part makes me feel since i am not enamored with Macc's drafting, or his FA moves.   

Yeah, I think he will make a high offer for someone. I don't like the idea of Bell getting a crazy contract, but Macc has to do something and pray for the best. Macc can't feel comfortable in his position after the media, Adams, and others have ripped him before Bowles was let go. It's going to be interesting to see what happens. In his potential final offseason, he has to build a better surrounding for Darnold, convert a defense from a 3-4 to 4-3 and hope Gase can prove he's a winner. 

Seems like we have a really good shot at getting Bell especially with the way Adams and Bell have been speaking. The biggest plus is Bell's ability to catch. With LB's having to focus on him, that will free up Herndon and other players. Even if he can give us a strong 3 more years , that will be huge for Darnold's development. 

I have this weird feeling that we don't make any splash signing and Macc's job is on the line. His job was on the line pretty much last year and he saved it my drafting Darnold. But you look at what he did with over 120mill in FA last year and we really have nothing to show for it. I think Macc is pretty clueless when it comes to FA. I know everyone says teams that win FA don't win games. But when he's had multiple offseason with over 100mill and what we have to show for it only Avery Williamson... its bad. Not sure he has that killer instinct to get a player even if it means overpaying a bit bc the team NEEDS him, not wants him. This team should be paying 2 OLineman whatever they want to get them. An edge rusher or 2 whatever they want to get them. I don't think we end all need Bell. But BIG UPGRADES need to be made on offense at skill positions. So make it happen. Make trades, etc. Ijust have this weird feeling Macc doesn't change and we sign the Spencer Long, Mo Claiborne, Isaiah Crowell's of FA rather than actual difference makers.

1 minute ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Macc is an all around terrible GM. His saving grace will be two good coaches on both sides of the ball. 

I still don’t understand how he survived last year but I have an idea. 

Cant wait til he’s gone.

I could not agree more with you and Bobby, Macc, has to have a huge off season to survive as GM/

46 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

We need to hope that OBJ ends up on the niners. If so, the giants likely end up with the 2nd pick in some sort of swap. This will either cause someone to trade up to 1 for a QB, leaving us Bosa or create competition for our pick. 

That is a trade we should explore for OBJ. I think Brown goes to the 49ers.

22 hours ago, Dr.O said:

Interesting, always liked Pauline a lot, kinda hope he’s wrong here but I wouldn’t be mad if he was right. Think OL is gonna be the overwhelming focus of the offseason and more so looking for complementary skill players that fit Gase’s scheme I.e. Humphries, Coleman, Hogan, Cobb, Austin, Yeldon, Davis, Ingram, Anderson.

Pauline isn't as well connected to the Jets now as he was with the Tannenbaum and Idzik administrations. He got a lot of info in 2015, but Maccagnan then sought to eradicate the leaks after the season. Don't think it's necessarily incorrect, but also shouldn't be held as gospel either. With Bell likely facing the transition tag, I would think it increases our odds of landing him. 

24 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

I personally want no part of him. Not sure if I’m alone on that, but not sure the drama is worth it. 

He is drama. Cant deny that. But generally speaking... most big time talents are drama at WR and/or RB. So we shouldn't shy away from guys just bc of that. At a certain point you have to give a little to get a little. I mean as a Yankees fan I always disliked ARod even before his Yankee days. But you might not like the guy personally but still like what he does on the field.

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He is drama. Cant deny that. But generally speaking... most big time talents are drama at WR and/or RB. So we shouldn't shy away from guys just bc of that. At a certain point you have to give a little to get a little. I mean as a Yankees fan I always disliked ARod even before his Yankee days. But you might not like the guy personally but still like what he does on the field.

Personal take, id prob take AB or OBJ from a drama perspective. Then again, we’ll see who’s available and the cost. 

Just now, barnaby8787 said:

I personally want no part of him. Not sure if I’m alone on that, but not sure the drama is worth it. 

I'm in agreement. 1) Giants won't trade him to us; 2) the price would be too much; 3) considering his injury history he can end up being the next Dez/Demaryius and begin a speedy decline entering his age 30 season; 4) the drama. 

Unlike many fans on this forum, I don't think a "star" receiver is necessary by any means. We do need is to invest in the position - both draft picks and free agents. I would avoid trading for a big name right now because we simply don't have the ammo to do it. What makes more sense is adding a guy like Humphries in hopes that he can be our version of a Robert Woods signing for the LAR, adding some talent through in the draft, then as things progress in our offensive development try to go find that star. Humphries is extremely underrated because the fact that he is a slot receiver, but again, feel like he can be a huge producer in the right environment. If you find someone in the draft great, if not keep in mind next years class figures to be a historic one, and we will have more draft capital to trade for a WR.

3 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Personal take, id prob take AB or OBJ from a drama perspective. Then again, we’ll see who’s available and the cost. 

For sure. Both are distraction no question. But I think their play is worth it. I tend to want OBJ more just bc he's 26 when Brown will be 31.

But I doubt the NYG will make a trade with us, so I don't think we have to worry about it.