Trade Brown for what?

mwalker

Just now, jebrick said:

@ForgeI do not think Carroll would put up with AB.  He has let players walk or traded them when they put themselves over the team.

He did trade for Percy Harvin...granted, that didn't go well, so that probably would have soured him even more on those type of players lol, but I was speaking more just from the standpoint of I think that on the field, that would be a nice fit and they have shown a willingness to make those kind of moves before. I do agree that it's probably unlikely, but if I were them, I'd be considering it. 

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

So what do you guys think the actual legit value you will get in return for Brown?

He's 31 with attitude issues with a big cap hit. So it has to be realistic.

Big cap hit? 3 years $39 mil is a deal for a player his caliber TBH.

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

So what do you guys think the actual legit value you will get in return for Brown?

He's 31 with attitude issues with a big cap hit. So it has to be realistic.

His cap hit isn't big though. The contract is one of the most appealing things about him provided a team feels comfortable about him not holding out to demand more money. His contract hits are 15m, 11m, 12.5m. That's pretty light all things considered. The acquiring team has no guarantees or dead money on the deal either. The contract is largely inconsequential for any team acquiring him. That's easily doable for just about every team. 

I don't see how the Steelers aren't getting first round value in some form or fashion, particularly with the number of teams that theoretically will be interested. They may not get a first round pick, but they'll get the value through like 2 seconds or something in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

His cap hit isn't big though. The contract is one of the most appealing things about him provided a team feels comfortable about him not holding out to demand more money. His contract hits are 15m, 11m, 12.5m. That's pretty light all things considered. The acquiring team has no guarantees or dead money on the deal either. The contract is largely inconsequential for any team acquiring him. That's easily doable for just about every team. 

I don't see how the Steelers aren't getting first round value in some form or fashion, particularly with the number of teams that theoretically will be interested. They may not get a first round pick, but they'll get the value through like 2 seconds or something in my opinion. 

Yes its doable but there's only about 1/3 of the teams in the NFL that can afford that cap number along with hitting other needs. So you're talking about 10 teams that are realistic options.

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Yes its doable but there's only about 1/3 of the teams in the NFL that can afford that cap number along with hitting other needs. So you're talking about 10 teams that are realistic options.

10 teams is a lot. It only take 2 to ramp up the value. Heck, the 49ers didn't even have 2 teams interested in the #2 pick a couple of years ago and still got the bears to push the value up in the trade. Sometimes it just takes a lot. If a team is interested in AB, the contract and cap space won't be an issue, they'll find a way to make it work. 

A team like the Jags should not be trading for AB because he is not really going to help them for what they will have to give up.  Same for the Raiders ( IMHO).  Giving up a 1st or future 1st for a player, your team had better be close and need that one player.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

10 teams is a lot. It only take 2 to ramp up the value. Heck, the 49ers didn't even have 2 teams interested in the #2 pick a couple of years ago and still got the bears to push the value up in the trade. Sometimes it just takes a lot. If a team is interested in AB, the contract and cap space won't be an issue, they'll find a way to make it work. 

That doesn't answer my question though. What value are Pitt fans thinking they'll realistically get in return?

Just now, Bobby816 said:

That doesn't answer my question though. What value are Pitt fans thinking they'll realistically get in return?

I did answer that question in my original post - I think that they will get something in line with first round value, even if it's not an actual first round pick. I Think the 49ers second round pick this year + something else is very much on the table, which would likely push it to first round value overall, even if it's a late first round value. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I did answer that question in my original post - I think that they will get something in line with first round value, even if it's not an actual first round pick. I Think the 49ers second round pick this year + something else is very much on the table, which would likely push it to first round value overall, even if it's a late first round value. 

I don't think he fetches a 1st. A 2nd seems realistic.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

And I think you are in dreamland.  If the Cowboys had traded for AB rather than Cooper, would anyone think they got ripped off for a 1st?  No.  Because Cooper can't hold AB's jock when it comes to WR skills.  AB is better than Cooper in all aspects of the game.  Teams may overvalue their 1st round pick but a team that is close will spend it on AB.

9 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I don't know that he will land an actual first, though I think it has to be on the table for a couple of teams, but I find it unlikely that he doesn't get first round value. 49ers #36 + 4th rounder would equate to first round value equivalent to pick 28/29. #36 + next years third would also be first round value. I don't think it's going to be that hard to get first round value, even if not necessarily getting a first round pick. 

9 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

What value are Pitt fans thinking they'll realistically get in return?

To me, if it doesn't start with a first, we are better off to take the entire offseason to come to some sort of an agreement with him.

We have already written off the cap money. We already have him on our team. He is the best player at his position and is still in a physical prime seeing as he has shown no signs of slowing. His financials are a steal for another team. 

Personal opinion, but if we dont get great value, I think we are better of holding onto him past the draft. Either attempting to work things out and keep the great talent, see if any injury changes a contenders mind, or looking to capitalize on people being further away from the draft and more willing to part with higher capital in 2020. 

The problem trading AB is that we lose such a great asset from a talent perspective that makes a lot of other things go AND we don't recoup mass cap space. So if you are giving us a 2nd this year, we are almost no better off trying to get to the super bowl in 2019 without the trade. Potentially down the road, but not in 2019. So, again its my opinion, but if a 2nd in 2019 is our best option, unless it comes with a 1st and 2nd in 2020...I punt 

He's 31.... when has a 31yr old ever fetched a 1st Round return. Someone mentioned Cooper... Cooper is 24. That's not a valid debate IMO. The things that make Brown not worth a 1st are mainly his age (31), his cost 10mill (so a team has to have cap space) and he has an attitude ( a very me 1st player). All things considered I think Pitt will be lucky to get a 2nd for him.

Archived