Jump to content
jleisher

Trade for Antoino Brown?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Oh, I was planning on Gute signing Earl Thomas and Trey Flowers and drafting EDGE in Rnd 1 and safety in Rnd 2 though.

You really think your trading for Brown and don’t have to pay him TOP dollars? Plus, not sure #32 would be enough. 

Trading for Brown, brings a trouble maker into the locker room, limits or eliminates the ability to sign FA’s we need to fix the defense or OL, takes up a draft pick we could use to fix D. 

Does anyone think Brown would have fixed the distinction we had this year? Way too many things to fix besides adding a cry baby WR. 

Besides, we have 4-5 young WR’s who showed promise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

You really think your trading for Brown and don’t have to pay him TOP dollars? Plus, not sure #32 would be enough. 

Trading for Brown, brings a trouble maker into the locker room, limits or eliminates the ability to sign FA’s we need to fix the defense or OL, takes up a draft pick we could use to fix D. 

Does anyone think Brown would have fixed the distinction we had this year? Way too many things to fix besides adding a cry baby WR. 

Besides, we have 4-5 young WR’s who showed promise. 

Browns already under contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After hearing Gute talk about character multiple times, don't know how anyone can even buy in to the idea. But feel free to be disappointed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, cannondale said:

After hearing Gute talk about character multiple times, don't know how anyone can even buy in to the idea. But feel free to be disappointed 

Quote

 

Wilkerson has been disciplined at least four times in the last three years for showing up late and missing meetings, including twice in the last two weeks. It happened again Friday morning, which prompted coach Todd Bowles to sit him down for at least a game.

Substantial fines don't seem to have an impact; Wilkerson accepted a recent hefty fine without so much as flinching, according to a person familiar with the situation. He makes a lot of money -- $868,000 per week -- so maybe his wallet doesn't feel the pinch. He's the highest-paid player on the team, still enjoying the fruits of a five-year, $86 million contract in 2016.

 

Sometimes football need trumps character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Brad gluckman said:

Is receiver really a need? 

improving is a need. Many ways to do that. This could be one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

improving is a need. Many ways to do that. This could be one!

I think a first round pick plus $13mil could be better spent elsewhere and fill holes  instead of adding a guy like Brown. Wilkerson was cheap and fillled a need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Brad gluckman said:

I think a first round pick plus $13mil could be better spent elsewhere and fill holes  instead of adding a guy like Brown. Wilkerson was cheap and fillled a need.

I could be convinced it is better spent elsewhere, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wilkerson was paid 4.7 million, was motivated, and was a known entity via Pettine and missed meetings.

Brown .... well Brown isn't Wilkerson

 

Edited by cannondale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Wilkerson was paid 4.7 million, and was a known entity via Pettine and missed meetings.

Brown .... well Brown isn't Wilkerson

 

He might be worse! If teammates are speaking out against him, that’s bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

He might be worse! If teammates are speaking out against him, that’s bad

That's what I meant. Brown is the perfect storm of a big mistake. Not worried though. Gute's not stupid and probably doesn't play xbox

Edited by cannondale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, cannondale said:

That's what I meant. Brown is the perfect storm of a big mistake. Not worried though. Gute's not stupid and probably doesn't play xbox

Not a perfect storm. His salary isn't that bad. Over the next 3 years he'd be the 17th, 15th and 12th highest cap hit in 2019, 2020 and 2021 respectively for any team that trades for him. And that's before the next 3 rounds of WRs get paid.

So if you think he's better than that, he'd be a football bargain.

All comes down to what you think of the guy, which none of us have any real insight to. Sounds like there's a lot of dysfunction in PIT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AB is already 30 years old.  Character issues aside he will soon be hitting the wall.  Might get 1 or 2 good seasons out of him.  If he was a few years younger it would be a more interesting proposition.  Other issue is the dollars.  A lot of cash to pay out on an aging WR past his prime.  Pass.  Same goes for Earl Thomas.  Earl fractured the same Tibia as in 2016.  A bit concerning.  Not sure if he had a rod put in this time or not.  Regardless a fairly significant injury.  Will it affect his play?  What is the risk he breaks it again?  How much cash to bring him in?  

We are in dire need of a S and Earl Thomas was one hell of a player in the past.  But that was the past not now.  I guess if the dollars were right and the medical checks out he might be a nice add.  A lot of ifs.  Don't think he'll be a Packer unless he comes at a reasonable cost.  Aging player with injury concerns.  Can't always assume guys will come back the same after injury.  See a lot of posters ignore significant injuries and assume the player will be fine.  It's not always the case.  Personally I'd take a pass on ET and look for a younger cheaper guy without the injury history. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Sometimes football need trumps character.

I have no issue with that, if Brown were younger. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



×