Specialty Coach Search: Dennison hired, O-Line (p. 24)

vike daddy

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I thought Gase was the top option all along. I'm not as high on Bates but he's got more of track record than Stefanski.

I could see Gase in Tennessee as OC.  I think he would find Mike Vrabel a kindred spirit.  I'm not sure I could see Gase and Zimmer seeing eye to eye.

1 minute ago, vikestyle said:

Schefter is reporting Stefanski is back as OC. Would link Twitter if I knew how.

On the fence on this one. If he's a really good hire, you're probably only getting one year of him. If it's a poor hire, were probably not making the playoffs. But that's probably the case regardless. The lack of experience is surprising given how much Zimmer was micromanaging last year, thought he'd want a coach who'd own the offense. Maybe that's a goal for Zimmer this year, to be more involved on offense where a young hire makes sense. Zimmer is obviously comfortable with Stefanski.

Who we bring in as OL coach will be crucial. 

21 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

On the fence on this one. If he's a really good hire, you're probably only getting one year of him. If it's a poor hire, were probably not making the playoffs. But that's probably the case regardless. The lack of experience is surprising given how much Zimmer was micromanaging last year, thought he'd want a coach who'd own the offense. Maybe that's a goal for Zimmer this year, to be more involved on offense where a young hire makes sense. Zimmer is obviously comfortable with Stefanski.

Who we bring in as OL coach will be crucial. 

Certainly, the OL hire is the most crucial hire.  I sincerely do believe he'll be a good hire.  The only way I see him going after 1 year is if the Vikings win the Super Bowl.  Otherwise, (and this is a really pie-in-the-sky suggestion), he potentially could be the "head-coach in waiting" for when Zimmer retires, because I think he is that respected by the organization.  He's also going to have help in Todd Downing, who could be moved to QB coach.  

6 minutes ago, Freakout said:

Just not a fan of this move.  The last thing the team needed was an inexperienced coordinator running the offense.  That is how we ended up in this situation.  Zimmer just signed his ticket out of town.

You're living up to your username with this one I think. I think the biggest need for the team is continuity and the same vision between the HC and OC. I don't want to bring in someone like Gase who apparently has a large ego. I think Zimmer would hate him. Mularkey would have been the lone exception as I think him and Zimmer have similar views. But I think this is a good move. If Stefanski and Zimmer are on the same page, I think that gives us the best chance to win.

50 minutes ago, swede700 said:

So...with a whole offseason, what do we expect to see from a "Stefanski" offense?  Is the playbook going to be more Shurmur-like?  What could he potentially take from Norv, JDF or even Musgrave/Bevell?  

Could bring back Childress as an assistant and run the KAO again.

1 hour ago, Freakout said:

Just not a fan of this move.  The last thing the team needed was an inexperienced coordinator running the offense.  That is how we ended up in this situation.  Zimmer just signed his ticket out of town.

Every one was an inexperienced coordinator at one time.  And no, it isn't how they ended up in this situation.  JDF had experience, just not great ones.  And they've had several experienced coordinators who also failed.  What matters is whether Stef is the right one or not, not his experience.  If anything, he probably is the most prepared for the job considering how many different people he's worked under, including Zimmer himself.   

Norv Turner (39 years old) wasn't much older than Stefanski is right now when he got his first NFL OC job with the Cowboys.  He won the Super Bowl a year later. 

In the end, he might fail, but his experience or lack of it (as far as you are concerned), I don't believe, is going to be a factor in it.  There are far more pros than cons in his hiring.  

Archived