Marcedes Lewis won't be a Packer in 2019.

jleisher

Just now, Gopackgonerd said:

We've also almost always had the luxury of having many talented receivers on teams at once so we probably wanted to get the ball more to them. The talent at TE has always been questionable except Finley and the few FAs we brought in whom didn't last a year. 

True and I think it's impacted Rodgers accordingly. He loves to throw to the outside, the middle not so much. Always had the WRs to do that until recently. 

5 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I think it speaks to the challenge the team faces- there are the goals and perspectives of the GM, the goals and perspectives of the coaches, and there are the goals and perspectives of Aaron Rodgers.   None of them were on the same page.

Really hard to know what went on, but what Lewis demonstrated, Rodgers indeed would go school yard in the huddle and make up a play on the spot when he felt like it.

Curious how this plays out going forward.

What will the future HC think about this?  Will it hurt the search for our next HC?

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

True and I think it's impacted Rodgers accordingly. He loves to throw to the outside, the middle not so much. Always had the WRs to do that until recently. 

Some say a QB make the WR's great, others say WR's make the QB great....

3 minutes ago, jleisher said:

What will the future HC think about this?  Will it hurt the search for our next HC?

I don't know, it might.

It is such a double edged sword.  Rodgers wins the playoff game with Dallas by fabricating the play to Cook, and its regarded as one of the great plays of the year.  On the flip side it is hard for the play caller to be successful if they don't know if the play they call will be the one that is run, and hard for the coach to be successful if listening to them is optional.

The new coach will have to be able to get a solid understanding with Rodgers about how these issues can be handled.

My understanding, right or wrong, is that Brady doesn't have the desire to free lance like that- it might be a big adjustment for McDaniels just like anybody else.  Ironically, guys like Gase and Caldwell having worked with Manning may have had an experience closer to what Lewis describes in Green Bay and may be wired better to run the show when the QB has that much control.

Not saying I am right.  Just wondering aloud, so to speak.

15 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Rodgers wins the playoff game with Dallas by fabricating the play to Cook, and its regarded as one of the great plays of the year. 

I think I remember reading about the Cook play in Dallas and that they had  practiced it prior to the game. In practice when they ran the play, the throw was a half second late and Cook caught it out of bounds. I think there was discussion between AR and Cook that he had to bend the route a tad deeper.
vague memory on that one

The talk about changing plays is really interesting because there's different levels as alluded to by others. AR can swap from Run to Pass, happens all the time. He can also change the pass play and tell the team: "instead of this play MM called, we're going with 4 Jet ALL Go instead".
But what Marcedes Lewis and Turd Bennett talked about was something different - AR didn't actually call a different play, he didn't call a play at all.
He simply told each WR what route to run, set the protection for the OL and they ran it.

That's a different level and speaks to ARs strong desire to be the offensive mind behind the Packers offense. In another article that I came across it noted that uber-competitive AR said he could outscheme McVay/Shanahan and there was no reason not to let him do it. I think it bugs AR to see all the whiz kids getting positive press while he has as good (or better) an offensive mind as those guys have

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

I think I remember reading about the Cook play in Dallas and that they had  practiced it prior to the game. In practice when they ran the play, the throw was a half second late and Cook caught it out of bounds. I think there was discussion between AR and Cook that he had to bend the route a tad deeper.
vague memory on that one

The talk about changing plays is really interesting because there's different levels as alluded to by others. AR can swap from Run to Pass, happens all the time. He can also change the pass play and tell the team: "instead of this play MM called, we're going with 4 Jet ALL Go instead".
But what Marcedes Lewis and Turd Bennett talked about was something different - AR didn't actually call a different play, he didn't call a play at all.
He simply told each WR what route to run, set the protection for the OL and they ran it.

That's a different level and speaks to ARs strong desire to be the offensive mind behind the Packers offense. In another article that I came across it noted that uber-competitive AR said he could outscheme McVay/Shanahan and there was no reason not to let him do it. I think it bugs AR to see all the whiz kids getting positive press while he has as good (or better) an offensive mind as those guys have

Interesting.  I thought I remembered Cobb talking about how Aaron just told everyone what to run on the Cook play just like what Lewis was saying, but at my age who knows if I remember anything correctly.

I find it ironic that the Cook play seems on my watch of it as strikingly similar to a play McVay runs that was singled out on an NFL network show that was saying how it demonstrated McVay's "genius".  

You could be right, some of these elite athletes can get pretty testy when credit starts going to those around them.  Reminds me of when Tiger Woods fired Butch Harmon after a long and successful partnership because he made the mistake of trying to take credit for developing Tiger's swing.

21 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

We've also almost always had the luxury of having many talented receivers on teams at once so we probably wanted to get the ball more to them. The talent at TE has always been questionable except Finley and the few FAs we brought in whom didn't last a year. 

I also feel it's weird a college tight end would not want to use them in his offense haha

Here are the player descriptions of what went on in the huddle in the Dallas playoff game on the 3rd and 20 throw to Cook, if anyone is interested:

http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4762927/third-and-20-how-the-packers-booted-the-cowboys-from-the-2016-playoffs

Cobb's answer is interesting:  "It's not the first time it's happened. It's the first time it's happened in that kind of moment."

Sounds like Rodgers has, at times, gone schoolyard in the huddle for a while now.

Just now, Gopackgonerd said:

unless they just throw it up for grabs every time and the WR catches it every time  :$

that happens; but then the same crappy qb throws it up to the other WR and it gets picked.  I think we're kind of saying the same thing anyway.

Archived