BDL Discussion Thread 2019

Jlash

1 minute ago, SirA1 said:

Yes. Year round 3 ups and the fact that Extensions are usually referring to the next year and not the current year that the contract is signed in.

It's easy when a player is a UFA IRL and BDL at the same time.

I would say that if you do a year round 3Up, that player is still signed for a set number of years.  So you follow that number of years.

And an extension for the next year could still be signed during the year or in the offseason for the set amount of years.  

It might not always line up exactly, and sometimes people might end up paying a touch more, but it's still a discount.

16 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I would say that if you do a year round 3Up, that player is still signed for a set number of years.  So you follow that number of years.

And an extension for the next year could still be signed during the year or in the offseason for the set amount of years.  

It might not always line up exactly, and sometimes people might end up paying a touch more, but it's still a discount.

At that point there is no point to year round 3 ups. You are basically just choosing to pay more now and losing out on a year later.

We are likely going to go back to just 3 ups during the off season and not include anyone with any years remaining on their BDL deals just BDL UFA's.

Which I will be fine with but that will be for 2020.

I'd also be inclined to get rid of 100% extensions since no one knows what it means and has to be reminded every year.

We're going to get a much cleaner version of BDL but it will take time to get it right.

Edited by SirA1
  • Like 1

Just now, SirA1 said:

At that point there is no point to year round 3 ups. You are basically just choosing to pay more now and losing out on a year later.

We are likely going to go back to just 3 ups during the off season and not include anyone with any years remaining on their BDL deals just BDL UFA's.

Which I will be fine with but that will be for 2020.

If Tyreek Hill signs a new deal during next season, why would I not be able to sign him to that same deal at that time?  So I don't think you'd need to erase year round 3 Ups.  

And I think you could include people with deals on their BDL deals.  For instance, if next year or the year after, DeMarcus Lawrence signs his massive deal, I could 3 Up him at that exact RL deal to replace his BDL deal.

Agreed on 2020.

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

If Tyreek Hill signs a new deal during next season, why would I not be able to sign him to that same deal at that time?  So I don't think you'd need to erase year round 3 Ups.  

And I think you could include people with deals on their BDL deals.  For instance, if next year or the year after, DeMarcus Lawrence signs his massive deal, I could 3 Up him at that exact RL deal to replace his BDL deal.

Agreed on 2020.

So if Hill signs a 5 year extension next season. Why would you sign him to a 5 year deal when his real deal is 6 years? That's basically what you are saying should happen. You would also pay a ton more next season for no reason. Wait until he's a UFA in BDL and then sign him to his real 5 year deal. No need for a year round 3 up.

The same thing with players on current deals. Why would you sign someone to a new deal for X years when you could sign them once their BDL deal ran out to X-1 years.

The only reason to do so is to make the BDL cap hit more palatable by stretching the contract by the actual years. Which you are against. If there is no reason not to wait why have a mechanism in place that allows you to just screw yourself over.

3 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

So if Hill signs a 5 year extension next season. Why would you sign him to a 5 year deal when his real deal is 6 years? That's basically what you are saying should happen. You would also pay a ton more next season for no reason. Wait until he's a UFA in BDL and then sign him to his real 5 year deal. No need for a year round 3 up.

The same thing with players on current deals. Why would you sign someone to a new deal for X years when you could sign them once their BDL deal ran out to X-1 years.

The only reason to do so is to make the BDL cap hit more palatable by stretching the contract by the actual years. Which you are against. If there is no reason not to wait why have a mechanism in place that allows you to just screw yourself over.

It is not that I am against making a cap hit more palatable by stretching the contract out.  But I do think we have reached a point where we are becoming overly convoluted in our rules in order to squeeze out every cent.

At some point, we need to balance out functionality and cost saving.

Not to mention, dropping the 3Up form 85% to 75% saved more than this will cost us.  We already took the step to make contracts more palatable.  Now let's streamline.

1 hour ago, SirA1 said:

He got a $15M signing bonus in 2018 plus his $1,907 base salary. There are six years listed in Spotrac not 5 years. I'm not sure what's hard to understand about that.

These Extensions are just agent speak so they can say they got their guy the most money. 

Several 3 ups done the last few years have been this way since we started the year round thing Hunter isn't something new. 

Yeah man, his 2018 contract didn't change at all.  His ext. started in 2019, which is why you are seeing 6 years instead of 5.  The reason it says he got 15 million in signing bonuses in 2018 is because the team pays the player in full the signing bonus, but the books show it as prorated over the course of the contract not to exceed 5 years, which is why he doesn't have a signing bonus in his final year of the contract. 

Regardless, I think its fair to say that this process should be simplified.

25 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

It is not that I am against making a cap hit more palatable by stretching the contract out.  But I do think we have reached a point where we are becoming overly convoluted in our rules in order to squeeze out every cent.

At some point, we need to balance out functionality and cost saving.

Not to mention, dropping the 3Up form 85% to 75% saved more than this will cost us.  We already took the step to make contracts more palatable.  Now let's streamline.

You guys really do need to have a winter meeting.

1 minute ago, ny92mike said:

You guys really do need to have a winter meeting.

A winter meeting where we talk about everything is gonna take like a month given the amount of stuff we have to re-define/update so the rules are all up to date.

I don't think anyone wants to have an owner meeting stretch out from February to March, potentially April if we have to vote on every single rule update.

15 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

A winter meeting where we talk about everything is gonna take like a month given the amount of stuff we have to re-define/update so the rules are all up to date.

I don't think anyone wants to have an owner meeting stretch out from February to March, potentially April if we have to vote on every single rule update.

You guys do what you want, after this offseason I'll be out, just suggesting that it would be a good idea to get things cleared up before the offseason starts.  Especially, with talks of getting rid of 3up all year long along with other things I've recently seen mentioned.  I guess if none of the changes you guys are discussing now would take effect until the next season, maybe you're right it isn't needed.  Maybe just clean up the guidelines for the incoming noobs.  

• Like 1