Icing the Kicker

Hunter2_1

Would you get rid of it?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. What's your thoughts on icing the kicker

• Keep it - It's part of the game, and can work both ways (giving the kicker a second chance)
    • Get rid - It's unsporting
    • Keep it - BUT, I do not think it's worth doing

1 minute ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Ja, but then...

Screen_Shot_2017_11_27_at_3.57.56_PM.png

I reckon keep it, but not sure I'd use it. It's fun anyway.

well that stat makes actually sense. Kickers have in their mind that the coach might still call the TO and they don't so they might get confused while kicking.

@SBLIII Yep. And of course there's the cliche that he gets one to 'get his eye in', like a practice swing. 

If coaches have this data (they will) why are they still calling the TO? Perhaps there's specific kickers they do it to...your Parkey's and Boswell's of the world maybe.

I think eventually a kicker will stop suddenly after already starting his motion and tear an ACL or something and then they will look into changing it so that the play can't be stopped to ice the kicker once he is set. If nothing like that ever happens I don't see why they would change anything.

Part of the game.

I'd like some stats, although this would take watching a whole lot of kicks, showing the FG% on icings where the kicker got the initial kick off as opposed to when he doesn't. Whether or not he made the "free kick". The opposing teams exact TO count. Distance. Let's break this down and see if there is any discernible science to this. Maybe I'll do this little project, although it's probably not worth it. Reality is if a pattern was there, it'd be common knowledge IMO.

Just from a practical standpoint, from my POV anyway, the optimal icing is if you have multiple TOs you use either 1 or 2 (depending on how many you have to start, hold onto the final TO) and not let them get either kick off... Extend that high pressure moment as long as possible, don't give them any practice shots, and you keep that last TO because in the back of their minds they might be expecting that last TO to come. I'm not entirely convinced it actually makes a difference, these guys are after all are paid millions to do one thing and to have even reached this level means they are pretty mentally tough and not rattled. I'm not even sure they have any awareness as to how many TOs the opposing team has, whether that's deliberate or not.

Archived