Jump to content
Titans fan 617

Matt LaFleur To Be Named GB Head Coach

Recommended Posts

This is the problem with having defensive HCs.  

You lose your OC every few years or you stink and nobody wants him.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

This is the problem with having defensive HCs.  

You lose your OC every few years or you stink and nobody wants him.

With Vrabel giving so much free reign to LaFleur on offense, it was going to be an ideal situation unless: 1. LaFleur really really wanted to be the head shot caller, or 2. LaFleur doesn't believe in Mariota

Not sure which it was more, but it's certainly disappointing. LaFleur had a lot of growing pains as a playcaller (Remember that 2 point empty backfield attempt against the Chargers?), but he was still better than we appeared statistically.

At this point it's just disappointing that Mariota may never reach the potential he's capable of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RuskieTitan said:

With Vrabel giving so much free reign to LaFleur on offense, it was going to be an ideal situation unless: 1. LaFleur really really wanted to be the head shot caller, or 2. LaFleur doesn't believe in Mariota

Not sure which it was more, but it's certainly disappointing. LaFleur had a lot of growing pains as a playcaller (Remember that 2 point empty backfield attempt against the Chargers?), but he was still better than we appeared statistically.

At this point it's just disappointing that Mariota may never reach the potential he's capable of.

You’re being given the reins of one of the most storied franchises in NFL history with one of the greatest QBs in NFL history before your 40th birthday. Easy decision for pretty much anyone in football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RuskieTitan said:

With Vrabel giving so much free reign to LaFleur on offense, it was going to be an ideal situation unless: 1. LaFleur really really wanted to be the head shot caller, or 2. LaFleur doesn't believe in Mariota

Not sure which it was more, but it's certainly disappointing. LaFleur had a lot of growing pains as a playcaller (Remember that 2 point empty backfield attempt against the Chargers?), but he was still better than we appeared statistically.

At this point it's just disappointing that Mariota may never reach the potential he's capable of.

I don't believe in Mariota.  He has had time now to be good and hasn't been.  But I don't watch Titans closely, maybe there are reasons.

From afar it looks like O was plodding until you figured out you had a good run blocking O line and a good RB.  Everybody wants RBs to be receivers now, but doesn't mean a RB can't be an old fashioned RB.

Not everybody has to run exact same system.  Play to strengths of your personnel.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to offer up some hope to my fellow Titanians.

In Mariota's first year under Terry Robiskie, he had the best year of his career. We can do a lot better than Matt LaFleur as our OC. If we are being honest with ourselves he was not anything special here. The fact that Mariota had the best year of his career when he was in the first year of an OC's system that was archaic should tell you that he has the capability to do it again. The problem with LaFleur was that he was way too green as a play caller. If we can bring in an OC with experience calling plays who can also properly scheme this will not be as doom and gloom as some of you think.

We have to fortify our o-line and bring it back to the level of 2016. If we can do that then we help our run game, which if 2016 was any indication, was Mariota's best friend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this is a terrible and shortsighted hire by GB

 

lefleur could be great, but he’s not ready 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this franchise really couldn’t have handled mariota worse than they have. unreal. you want consistency for your QB and you hire mike mularkey followed by a defensive head coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly agree with the “spread” comment I read earlier in the thread. That is and always has been the system Mariota belongs in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I think about this the happier I am.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

this franchise really couldn’t have handled mariota worse than they have. unreal. you want consistency for your QB and you hire mike mularkey followed by a defensive head coach.

Agreed. I like Vrabel, but I did not like LaFleur, nor do I believe his offense was all that good a fit for Mariota. 

At this point, I’d like a seasoned playcaller who’s pretty much a “career OC”. That’s honestly what I wanted last year as well. LaFleur was never sticking around longer than 1 or 2 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dtait93 said:

The more I think about this the happier I am.

I’m not as disappointed with it as I probably should be lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m pretty disappointed. Mainly because I spent a lot of the year telling myself that struggles in the first year of the Shanahan system are normal and that there’s usually a real jump in the second year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ShupacTakur said:

I honestly agree with the “spread” comment I read earlier in the thread. That is and always has been the system Mariota belongs in. 

It amazes me that with one of, if not, the most prolific college QB in the spread ever, we haven't attempted to play up to his strengths of a "spread" offense in 4, going on 5 seasons.

Looking at how the Texans, Chiefs, Browns offense plays to the strengths of their young QB makes me a mix of envious, sad and jealous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×