Matt LaFleur To Be Named GB Head Coach

Titans fan 617

7 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

This is the problem with having defensive HCs.  

You lose your OC every few years or you stink and nobody wants him.

With Vrabel giving so much free reign to LaFleur on offense, it was going to be an ideal situation unless: 1. LaFleur really really wanted to be the head shot caller, or 2. LaFleur doesn't believe in Mariota

Not sure which it was more, but it's certainly disappointing. LaFleur had a lot of growing pains as a playcaller (Remember that 2 point empty backfield attempt against the Chargers?), but he was still better than we appeared statistically.

At this point it's just disappointing that Mariota may never reach the potential he's capable of.

1 minute ago, RuskieTitan said:

With Vrabel giving so much free reign to LaFleur on offense, it was going to be an ideal situation unless: 1. LaFleur really really wanted to be the head shot caller, or 2. LaFleur doesn't believe in Mariota

Not sure which it was more, but it's certainly disappointing. LaFleur had a lot of growing pains as a playcaller (Remember that 2 point empty backfield attempt against the Chargers?), but he was still better than we appeared statistically.

At this point it's just disappointing that Mariota may never reach the potential he's capable of.

You’re being given the reins of one of the most storied franchises in NFL history with one of the greatest QBs in NFL history before your 40th birthday. Easy decision for pretty much anyone in football.

1 minute ago, RuskieTitan said:

I don't believe in Mariota.  He has had time now to be good and hasn't been.  But I don't watch Titans closely, maybe there are reasons.

From afar it looks like O was plodding until you figured out you had a good run blocking O line and a good RB.  Everybody wants RBs to be receivers now, but doesn't mean a RB can't be an old fashioned RB.

Not everybody has to run exact same system.  Play to strengths of your personnel.

I would like to offer up some hope to my fellow Titanians.

In Mariota's first year under Terry Robiskie, he had the best year of his career. We can do a lot better than Matt LaFleur as our OC. If we are being honest with ourselves he was not anything special here. The fact that Mariota had the best year of his career when he was in the first year of an OC's system that was archaic should tell you that he has the capability to do it again. The problem with LaFleur was that he was way too green as a play caller. If we can bring in an OC with experience calling plays who can also properly scheme this will not be as doom and gloom as some of you think.

We have to fortify our o-line and bring it back to the level of 2016. If we can do that then we help our run game, which if 2016 was any indication, was Mariota's best friend.

22 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

this franchise really couldn’t have handled mariota worse than they have. unreal. you want consistency for your QB and you hire mike mularkey followed by a defensive head coach.

Agreed. I like Vrabel, but I did not like LaFleur, nor do I believe his offense was all that good a fit for Mariota. 

At this point, I’d like a seasoned playcaller who’s pretty much a “career OC”. That’s honestly what I wanted last year as well. LaFleur was never sticking around longer than 1 or 2 years. 

1 minute ago, ShupacTakur said:

I honestly agree with the “spread” comment I read earlier in the thread. That is and always has been the system Mariota belongs in. 

It amazes me that with one of, if not, the most prolific college QB in the spread ever, we haven't attempted to play up to his strengths of a "spread" offense in 4, going on 5 seasons.

Looking at how the Texans, Chiefs, Browns offense plays to the strengths of their young QB makes me a mix of envious, sad and jealous.

Archived