Matt LaFleur To Be Named GB Head Coach

Titans fan 617

1 minute ago, TitanSlim said:

It amazes me that with one of, if not, the most prolific college QB in the spread ever, we haven't attempted to play up to his strengths of a "spread" offense in 4, going on 5 seasons.

Looking at how the Texans, Chiefs, Browns offense plays to the strengths of their young QB makes me a mix of envious, sad and jealous.

It is maddening, and has been since the Robiskie hire. 

Hope hit the nail on the head. I’m not sure an organization has ever mismanaged the formative years of a talented QB more than this one has with Mariota. 

3 minutes ago, ShupacTakur said:

I’m not as disappointed with it as I probably should be lol 

Nah, I trust Vrabel and Robinson to bring in the right guy to right the ship on offense.

If Marcus can have a good year in his first season under Robiskie's scheme/play calling, he can also have a good year in his first season under another OC's scheme/play calling. We had a really good offensive line that year and it is an absolute must to get it back to that level this offseason. Not just to protect Marcus, but to help the run game which as I said earlier, is Marcus' best friend.

In my opinion, it is as much of a necessity to find an experienced play caller as it is to fix the o-line.

9 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I’m pretty disappointed. Mainly because I spent a lot of the year telling myself that struggles in the first year of the Shanahan system are normal and that there’s usually a real jump in the second year.

I can't like this post enough because this is exactly my thought process.

With the Derrick Henry of late, the overall growth of Corey Davis, a healthy Mariota/Delanie/Jonnu, a 2nd year in the system, plus a few more added weapons, it felt like next year was the year for our long awaited offensive "explosion".

Now...who knows.

42 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

this franchise really couldn’t have handled mariota worse than they have. unreal. you want consistency for your QB and you hire mike mularkey followed by a defensive head coach.

the Mularkey hire did some good -- brought a good culture to the team -- but you'd be hard pressed to have found a worse coach to pair with Mariota

Zero issue with the Vrabel hire, you don't need an offensive HC to be a great QB. Major issue w/ lack of continuity at OC

Just now, deeluxx3 said:

the Mularkey hire did some good -- brought a good culture to the team -- but you'd be hard pressed to have found a worse coach to pair with Mariota

Zero issue with the Vrabel hire, you don't need an offensive HC to be a great QB. Major issue w/ lack of continuity at OC

i like vrabel, but if we really wanted continuity for our QB we would've put a premium on that and gone after reich or nagy, both of whom appear to be pretty good hires themselves.

1 minute ago, -Hope- said:

i like vrabel, but if we really wanted continuity for our QB we would've put a premium on that and gone after reich or nagy, both of whom appear to be pretty good hires themselves.

Nagy was hired a week before Mularkey got canned. Reich was a good candidate, but remember he was coaching thru all of the playoffs last year.

18 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Continuation of the offensive system aside, I was somewhat disappointed in the first year with LaFleur. 

This is what I've been pounding. We can do a lot better at OC than LaFleur. The only thing we will miss is continuity and even then, if we are able to find a better play caller it could be enough to offset it.

I don't think it's as devastating as some think.  

Then again.... Mariota is probably a lame duck now.  Depends who he's replaced with.  I say go spread, give Marcus what he's good at for 1 year.  

If he doesn't improve with the 1 system he played in successfully,  then you know you move on.  Seems like a win-win to me.

This is either....

A.) Bad. Mariota is nothing but a game manager and needed a run first offense with big formations and play-action to succeed. It wasn't bad play-calling, but an attempt to hide poor QB play and win with the defense and ground game.

B.) Good. Marcus was never going to suceed in one of the most under center offenses in the NFL that continually failed to throw on early downs. Even when he did throw on early downs it was often an extension of the run game rather than 10+ yards downfield. We realize our mistake and put him in a heavy shotgun, 3 WR offense. Only 5 offenses in the NFL were under center more than us.

I vote to go shotgun, spread things out, speed things up. Someone from Reid's tree. They are rarely under center.

But I've also been voting for this since he was drafted so what do I know.

7 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

With Vrabel giving so much free reign to LaFleur on offense, it was going to be an ideal situation unless: 1. LaFleur really really wanted to be the head shot caller, or 2. LaFleur doesn't believe in Mariota

This is a really bizarre reaction that a few people here are having. You guys really think it has anything to do with Mariota and how LaFleur feels about him? The Packers are an A+ level NFL franchise and a top destination for any head coach candidate. Did all the other guys they interviewed not believe in their QB or defense or whoever either? Would you turn down a promotion with more money and notoriety in your professional life because you just really believed in someone who worked under you? 

I'm not really sad about losing LaFleur, just bummed about losing the continuity, poor Marcus never catches a break. But LaFleur did sort of suck as a playcaller almost all year, boys. Could be a blessing in disguise. 

22 minutes ago, imDelusional said:

This is a really bizarre reaction that a few people here are having. You guys really think it has anything to do with Mariota and how LaFleur feels about him? The Packers are an A+ level NFL franchise and a top destination for any head coach candidate. Did all the other guys they interviewed not believe in their QB or defense or whoever either? Would you turn down a promotion with more money and notoriety in your professional life because you just really believed in someone who worked under you? 

I'm not really sad about losing LaFleur, just bummed about losing the continuity, poor Marcus never catches a break. But LaFleur did sort of suck as a playcaller almost all year, boys. Could be a blessing in disguise. 

Also way more likely to get more leeway there than most other places. Packers don't change coaches often. Unless he has Hue Jackson level of suck there, he's probably guaranteed 5 years minimum... Actually with Rodgers he probably could suck that bad even if he tried 😂

Archived