Titans OC Search

Titans fan 617

7 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Just playing the "throw out a random name that Vrabel has worked with before" game, I imagine.

I mean for all I know it is Godsey, but I don't think Allbright has ever shown any connection/insider info to the Titans.

I tweeted at him and asked if he had heard anything and that was the response I got. I don't think it's anything where he was claiming to have a idea of who it might be, but just guys to look out for. I'm bored.

They were on the Texans staff together and he entered the NFL with the Patriots when JRob was there.

Could be completely nothing, I just wamted to hear some potential names.

Was looking at some games of Marcus in college and I don't know if they Oregon offense would work with us or the NFL. 

All that shotgun and 5 wide left Marcus open and that line wasn't the best. It had him scrambling a lot. I could see those bad habits we saw this year show themselves. 

If we did open it up. I would look to a pistol heavy offense or power spread. 

38 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Was looking at some games of Marcus in college and I don't know if they Oregon offense would work with us or the NFL. 

All that shotgun and 5 wide left Marcus open and that line wasn't the best. It had him scrambling a lot. I could see those bad habits we saw this year show themselves. 

If we did open it up. I would look to a pistol heavy offense or power spread. 

power spread would fit our personnel so well. really wonder what we would've looked like if ryan day had been the OC choice.

I saw an interesting thought on Twitter. Most of us have been speculating how this impacts Mariota and what offense we should bring in for him to succeed.

How much does Mariota actually factor into our choice in an OC? Neither coach is attached to Mariota. How much do we try to tailor our offense to someone who has 24 TD passes, 24 INTs, and less than 200 yards passing per game over the last two years? He's been injured often. He's going into a lame duck year on his contract that would require a big step up from the previous two years to be resigned.

How much are you worried about him succeeding in the offense you choose and how much are you worried about bringing in a system just for him only for him to be gone next year?

I was in favor of the spread, but it makes no sense if he may not even be here in 2020. What if we get rid of him and our next QB isn't a spread QB? Are we getting rid of the OC again and making all the other players learn a new system again?

Can't just be what's best for Mariota, but what is best for the team?

24 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I saw an interesting thought on Twitter. Most of us have been speculating how this impacts Mariota and what offense we should bring in for him to succeed.

How much does Mariota actually factor into our choice in an OC? Neither coach is attached to Mariota. How much do we try to tailor our offense to someone who has 24 TD passes, 24 INTs, and less than 200 yards passing per game over the last two years? He's been injured often. He's going into a lame duck year on his contract that would require a big step up from the previous two years to be resigned.

How much are you worried about him succeeding in the offense you choose and how much are you worried about bringing in a system just for him only for him to be gone next year?

I was in favor of the spread, but it makes no sense if he may not even be here in 2020. What if we get rid of him and our next QB isn't a spread QB? Are we getting rid of the OC again and making all the other players learn a new system again?

Whether it's catering to Mariota or not, we need to get with the times and quit trying to be a run-obsessed football team. Not saying run-first, but a team that is going to beat its head against the wall trying to run the ball won't be a team that wins in the league.

Marcus can throw the freaking ball. It's not like we have Young or Locker at the helm anymore...we have a guy who's a true dual-threat and have refused to play to his strengths for 4 years now. Injuries aside..it's like having a ferrari but only using it to drive down the block to pick up groceries.

32 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Continuing off this point, I got to thinking a very similar thought this morning. What if they're just done with him?

I know there was speculation that the team thought he could have played in week 17...what's the chance that that was the straw that broke the camel's back? He's often injured, he's off and on when he is healthy, Vrabel/Robinson aren't connected to him, he's going in to a lame duck year like you mentioned, and now he has to learn yet another system which in theory sets him back yet again.

What if they are now viewing him as damaged goods and decide to cut their losses?

3 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Whether it's catering to Mariota or not, we need to get with the times and quit trying to be a run-obsessed football team. Not saying run-first, but a team that is going to beat its head against the wall trying to run the ball won't be a team that wins in the league.

Marcus can throw the freaking ball. It's not like we have Young or Locker at the helm anymore...we have a guy who's a true dual-threat and have refused to play to his strengths for 4 years now. Injuries aside..it's like having a ferrari but only using it to drive down the block to pick up groceries.

I want to get rid of the run first crap too, just saying it's likely they may not just try to play to Mariota's strengths when, as far we know, they may not see him here in 2 years.

I would like to throw slightly more often than we run on first down. Starting at the beginning of the game, not just when we're behind in the third/fourth quarter. I also don't mind running on second and long as long as it's not predictable and they're not waiting for it with extra guys.

To me the run/pass ratio all comes down to what the defense does with their front. I want our offense to pass the ball to set up favorable fronts for our OL to block. I don't want to "establish the run" into an 8 or 9 man box for the sake of getting rushes in. 

I'm in favor of calling two plays, one pass and one run, for every down and going with whichever looks the most favorable at the line.

That's what I do on Madden anyway lmao.

I think an offense that has RPO would fit to our strengths. I remember Whishenhunt doing it in Mariotas first game.

Power spread would be awesome but I doubt it happens. But just like everyone else has said, us trying to forcefully pound the rock with 8-9 men in the box has to stop. I’m not sure if Mariota has had the option to change plays but I think he has to be given that option if he sees a favorable matchup

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

I know I've been saying this offense won't just be about the Quarterback. You have to think about the team. What fits our personnel?

And I don't think it's a negative on Marcus, but it just shows how Robinson has been building the team anyway. It hasn't been all about one player. We aren't trying to mold an offense around the QB, WR, or RB.  We aren't talking about we need to find a QB that can complement Davis' skills. We aren't talking about finding an offense that will feature Davis or feature our TEs. 
Yeah Marcus is the focal point of conversation, like with any team talking about the QB. 

But this isn't going to be a decision based on what works best for Marcus.  And I don't look at it as an indication of how they feel about him as a player. It is simply the way they have built the team and the philosophy.  It has never been about one player.  We haven't built our defense to what would work best for Casey for example. 

It just my thought about it. It isn't about Marcus or anyone in particular. It's about fit and personnel. Marcus is part of the personnel, so you want to make sure you get something that you feel confident he can thrive in, but also something that will allow Henry to run, the line to block, the WRs to grasp. 

The thought process that Vrabel/JRob might be ready to move on from Marcus, so the OC hire might not be factoring him in the equation is an interesting one. If that is really the case, I'm curious if we'd actually be kicking the tires on some of the QBs come draft time. I know this isn't a very strong QB class, but would we bring in guys like Grier/Jones/Lock for workouts/interviews? If we're planning on moving on from him anyways, what's stopping us from looking into prospects this year to see if there's a guy we really fall for?

4 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

The thought process that Vrabel/JRob might be ready to move on from Marcus, so the OC hire might not be factoring him in the equation is an interesting one. If that is really the case, I'm curious if we'd actually be kicking the tires on some of the QBs come draft time. I know this isn't a very strong QB class, but would we bring in guys like Grier/Jones/Lock for workouts/interviews? If we're planning on moving on from him anyways, what's stopping us from looking into prospects this year to see if there's a guy we really fall for?

Will be interesting to see who they workout and how deep they go into the QB draft pool.

But again, I feel the OC won't be an indication of their love or questions about Marcus. It will be what will work best for the team. 

So if they do hire a spread guy, it doesn't mean they are going all in on Marcus. Shoot all college is spread pretty much. So any QB they bring in, in the future will be someone with that base.
If they go Run heavy, doesn't mean they are against Marcus.

1 hour ago, SerenityNow said:

I still think it's a very long shot we go that route, but Will Grier is the only QB I'd even consider touching in the 1st round this year. 

Archived