Baltimore Ravens 2019 Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

2 hours ago, Danand said:

Zardarius Smith got a huge contract the Ravens couldn't/wouldn't match. There are no red flags. Productive inside/outside pass rusher, no off field issues, hard worker, well liked, does a lot of dirty work, not a lot of mileage on his threads. Great player, just got too expensive for what the Ravens could afford. Fit the profile of a Ravens player that shines the most in his contract year and goes elsewhere to get paid.

I agree with all of what you said except calling him a "great player". He's a good player who is now paid like a great one. No red flags with him, it's just about is he good enough to warrant that price. He's never seemed like a player we couldn't have a fair chance of replacing/replicating.

Edited by wackywabbit

Justin Houston makes a lot of sense, but I also feel like he'll have a lot of options and will probably get a very significant $$$ offer. He just turned 30 and every team knows signing him doesn't hurt the comp pick formula. If Suggs, who's turning 37 later this year, got a $7M salary, I think Houston, who is only 30, will get double that.

I don't think he's an under the radar/bargain pickup.

3 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Justin Houston makes a lot of sense, but I also feel like he'll have a lot of options and will probably get a very significant $$$ offer. He just turned 30 and every team knows signing him doesn't hurt the comp pick formula. If Suggs, who's turning 37 later this year, got a $7M salary, I think Houston, who is only 30, will get double that.

No one does. Injury concerns may drag the $, but he certainly isn't going to be a "light" acquisition.

35 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

That's okay since the Ravens have extra cap space to spare. And with not much else to use it on. I'd expect somewhere around $40 million over three years for Houston. 

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

I agree with all of what you said except calling him a "great player". He's a good player who is now paid like a great one. No red flags with him, it's just about is he good enough to warrant that price. He's never seemed like a player we couldn't have a fair chance of replacing/replicating.

I can’t see why people are downplaying Z. Smith. He had a really really good season and more than showed up on the stat sheet. Whether we think we can replicate his production, or we just didn’t want to pay that much is interesting, because we got a whole lot of production out of Smith and he also created room for other players and made them better.  McPhee got unlucky with injuries but like him Z. Smith has a chance to be one of the few Ravens who produces outside of Baltimore. 

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Not surprised by either of those cuts. I'm still thinking we can sign Justin Houston but also I'm like "Damn, we've already made two FA splashes, is there room for a THIRD big-name signing?!", but I think if Justin Houston was getting good offers he'd have signed already.

That's my stance, too. I think DeCosta and friends are trying to get him in that 7-8 million range with some guarantees. The longer he's out there, the better for us as them dollar signs drop. If we do get Houston, I hope this means we're "all-in" on the offense during the draft. I want my O-line to be god-like dammit!

• Like 1

I'd say regarding need, the Ravens should prioritize FA's at:

1. WR

2. LG

3. EDGE

4. ILB

5. DE

I don't see the need to spend any money on defense before the draft save for resigning Urban, because we have players waiting in the wings to ascend to the starting spot. Plus if a great defensive LB/DE prospect falls to us in round 1, we can take him to plug and play immediately without being blocked by a FA veteran. 

However, I don't see an answer on the roster for WR or LG at the moment. I like Chris Moore, but I haven't seen anything from the other WRs and I don't trust Ravens WR draftees to produce. Likewise, at LG I see nothing but backup quality players, below-average starters.

If EDC wants to spend more, I'd put it toward either a WR or LG, and then see how the draft shakes out. Investing more capital into the defense doesn't really make sense right now, because the draft is going to reshape the roster anyway. But the Ravens front 7 right now has quality/youth/upside at every starting spot, from what I've seen from them. I don't mind a starting front 7 of DL (Williams, Pierce, Wormley) ILB (Peanut and K. Young) OLB (Judon and Bowser/Williams) to pair with an all world secondary. I don't see a starting caliber player at WR1 or LG at the moment, however. 

There isn't any free agent worth spending money on at WR or LG/interior offensive line though. Those available are all minimum contract types. Investing in those positions just to invest in those positions would not be good. I want money spent on the BPA at a position of need, regardless of that position. The team isn't going to sit on that cap space. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

There isn't any free agent worth spending money on at WR or LG/interior offensive line though. Those available are all minimum contract types. Investing in those positions just to invest in those positions would not be good. I want money spent on the BPA at a position of need, regardless of that position. The team isn't going to sit on that cap space. 

I think the only WRs worth picking up are some of the older veterans. I'd take Dez, Jordy, Damaryus Thomas (Sp?). Just to lead some of the younger guys we're gonna draft or already have on the team. Just my opinion. 

As for offensive lineman, there isn't really anything out there that intrigues me. I'd go pure draft mode for those guys. 

Let's trade back out of the first and grab a Center and WR and pull a Ravens move and land a stud guard between rounds 3 and 5.