Nacho Simulation Football League (Season 17 - TACO BOWL XVII POSTED!)

1 minute ago, pwny said:

Why would anyone in their right mind buy three tags at that price when you can buy them extremely cheaper separately? 

Presumably, they shouldn't... but here is the rub.

There are only a finite number of people willing to trade 1 tag

Say I need 3 tags.. Exactly 3 tags.. No less will suffice

What happens if "Owner A" trades me 1 tag, "Owner B" trades me another, but I cannot find an "Owner C" to get the 3rd? Now I'm stuck.

Instead, maybe I'm willing to pay the premium to know that I can keep my guy, who presumably is worth more than the pick I'm trading

Further, if all the people who otherwise looked for 3 tags, now looked for numerous 1 tags, then the demand for 1 tag increases significantly and the price for them goes up.

In which case, people start to think "maybe it would be cheaper to buy all 3 at once"

And then prices revert back to what they are

The point is, we've developed a market here, and it works like all markets do. Some people will do well because they are buying or selling at fortuitous times. Some will do worse. Some will make deals that are not in their best interest. Some will take advantage of that.

And if the prices are incorrect, supply and demand will fix it over time

And if you feel like arbitrage exists.. then you take advantage of it

This is all economics 101.

5 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

Presumably, they shouldn't... but here is the rub.

There are only a finite number of people willing to trade 1 tag

Say I need 3 tags.. Exactly 3 tags.. No less will suffice

What happens if "Owner A" trades me 1 tag, "Owner B" trades me another, but I cannot find an "Owner C" to get the 3rd? Now I'm stuck.

Instead, maybe I'm willing to pay the premium to know that I can keep my guy, who presumably is worth more than the pick I'm trading

Further, if all the people who otherwise looked for 3 tags, now looked for numerous 1 tags, then the demand for 1 tag increases significantly and the price for them goes up.

In which case, people start to think "maybe it would be cheaper to buy all 3 at once"

And then prices revert back to what they are

The point is, we've developed a market here, and it works like all markets do. Some people will do well because they are buying or selling at fortuitous times. Some will do worse. Some will make deals that are not in their best interest. Some will take advantage of that.

And if the prices are incorrect, supply and demand will fix it over time

And if you feel like arbitrage exists.. then you take advantage of it

okay but what if there's a fire

15 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

Which is exactly why prices vary. Some years I would gladly pay a 5th for a tag if I couldn't find a better option.

Some years I wouldn't even pay an 8th.

This quote right here is the crux of my argument

It doesn't matter what people arbitrarily claim is the price of something

What matters is the price you are willing to pay, and if that matches up with the price at which someone else is willing to sell

Essentially, I give zero effs if anybody in particular thinks the price of a tag is too high or too low. I'll pay what makes sense based on the player I want to keep, and if the prices don't match that, then I let him walk. Anybody doing anything different is dumb.

From the selling side, I'll sell if someone is willing to offer picks that exceed the value of the player I would keep with those tags. Again, it would be dumb to do otherwise.

1 minute ago, bucsfan333 said:

Not to mention that trading an eighth for your first tag, a seventh for your second tag, and a sixth for your third tag is ridiculously expensive.

I'd rather pay a 6th, 7th, and 8th for 3 tags than a 1st for 3 tags. The issue is finding 3 separate people willing to trade me 1 tag.

2 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I'd rather pay a 6th, 7th, and 8th for 3 tags than a 1st for 3 tags. The issue is finding 3 separate people willing to trade me 1 tag.

That's a big gap to be missing picks when you're still drafting starters.

1 minute ago, Tk3 said:

This quote right here is the crux of my argument

It doesn't matter what people arbitrarily claim is the price of something

What matters is the price you are willing to pay, and if that matches up with the price at which someone else is willing to sell

Here’s the thing though. Apple doesn’t lower their price just because you decided you want to spend $300 less on their phone. If you don’t want to pay it, you don’t get it. That doesn’t make the price less, it makes you a non-buyer. 

A good is worth what a good is worth. An individual consumer can decide if they want to pay that price, but that consumer doesn’t set the market. If you don’t want to pay what something costs, that’s great. But that doesn’t mean that the price should be deflated. 

9 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

Yeah, and anyone who has taken any Econ class above 101 knows that markets don’t actually work the simplistic way Econ 101 paints then. But thanks for the tip. 

1 minute ago, bucsfan333 said:

The gap from the fifth round to the ninth round >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the gap between the first and second round.

Depends on who is available in the first and top of the second, but in a vacuum I'd rather have a first round pick. My main issue waiting from the fifth to the ninth is patience more than anything.

6 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

That's a big gap to be missing picks when you're still drafting starters.

Who cares? Trade the first for a third, fourth and sixth. You’re still coming out way ahead. Hell, trade the first for peanuts and get a fifth, sixth and seventh. You’re still coming out way ahead, and that’s if you get trash value on the first. 

4 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Everything you said is correct

If this was a stock exchange where there was a (for all intents and purposes) a limitless supply of the resource (tags), then you can do this. But nobody is going to sell 3 tags individually. Many teams hit their tag usage exactly.

Someone can go back and fact check how many single tags are usually traded on a season by season basis, but I would guess that any given season there are maybe 5 single tags floating out there

To think you can get 3 of them is a big risk

3 minutes ago, pwny said:

Here’s the thing though. Apple doesn’t lower their price just because you decided you want to spend $300 less on their phone. If you don’t want to pay it, you don’t get it. That doesn’t make the price less, it makes you a non-buyer. 

A good is worth what a good is worth. An individual consumer can decide if they want to pay that price, but that consumer doesn’t set the market. If you don’t want to pay what something costs, that’s great. But that doesn’t mean that the price should be deflated. 

first and foremost, tags are not the same as iphones

secondly, this is a barter market - if you think tags are worth what tags are worth, then I can't help you

Archived