Around The League V.2

Totty

On 11/10/2023 at 11:21 PM, Tank4Drake said:

He has not proven he can put together a NFL roster, don’t care about college. Majority of those draft picks for the 49ers were Baalkee. Harbaugh and him butted heads like crazy, and most of the picks Harbaugh disputed ended up becoming good players. 

I think you’re making light of his accomplishments there my friend, he took over a team in disarray and immediately transformed them into a juggernaut. Went 13-3 in his first year, then won 11 and 12 games and got Colin Karpernick to a Super Bowl. Immediately after he left they went 5-11 and 2-14 so I’d say that proves he knows what he’s doing! Now, he did have an acrimonious split but he had success at Stanford, immediately with San Francisco who then nose dived immediately after he left and then promptly reinvigorated Michigan. 

It’s well known about his falling out in San Francisco but Baalke didn’t seem to do that well in ‘15 and ‘16 so maybe they kept the wrong guy? 😁 Who knows. It’s no secret he’s not easy to work with but his record of success is undeniable. It’s a chance you take, same as if you promote a young hotshot coordinator you take a chance on them not being able to be a HC and only a coordinator, it’s a risk both ways but only one has proven success at that level.

3 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I think you’re making light of his accomplishments there my friend, he took over a team in disarray and immediately transformed them into a juggernaut. Went 13-3 in his first year, then won 11 and 12 games and got Colin Karpernick to a Super Bowl. Immediately after he left they went 5-11 and 2-14 so I’d say that proves he knows what he’s doing! Now, he did have an acrimonious split but he had success at Stanford, immediately with San Francisco who then nose dived immediately after he left and then promptly reinvigorated Michigan. 

It’s well known about his falling out in San Francisco but Baalke didn’t seem to do that well in ‘15 and ‘16 so maybe they kept the wrong guy? 😁 Who knows. It’s no secret he’s not easy to work with but his record of success is undeniable. It’s a chance you take, same as if you promote a young hotshot coordinator you take a chance on them not being able to be a HC and only a coordinator, it’s a risk both ways but only one has proven success at that level.

Trent’s doing just fine on the Jags and has built a great roster. It’ll be in SB contention next year. I think they are a year away. Not sure what your fascination is with Harbaugh. He was a great HC for the 49ers and important just like Baalkee was. But there’s zero proof he can put together an NFL Roster. And his name is so big, there’s no way he doesn’t sign a McDaniels/Gruden Full Control contract. Why anyone would want that a third straight time baffles my mind. 

4 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

Trent’s doing just fine on the Jags and has built a great roster. It’ll be in SB contention next year. I think they are a year away. Not sure what your fascination is with Harbaugh. He was a great HC for the 49ers and important just like Baalkee was. But there’s zero proof he can put together an NFL Roster. And his name is so big, there’s no way he doesn’t sign a McDaniels/Gruden Full Control contract. Why anyone would want that a third straight time baffles my mind. 

No fascination, just think he’s the best option. There are several others I like too.

Im really scratching my head about why you don’t think he can put together an NFL roster, he did it and took a bedraggled team from nowhere to the Super Bowl in a couple years (obviously with help from Baalke) but the question remains, if it was primarily Baalke rather than Harbaugh, then why did their results only pick up when Harbaugh was there and nosedived dramatically when he left?

Let’s look at the facts:

Baalke was Director of Pro Personel in 2008 to 2010 I believe then GM from 2011 to 2016. So very influential in all those years. 

2008 to 2010 San Francisco went 7-9, 8-8 then 6-10.

Harbaugh comes along to ride on Baalke’s coattails and San Francisco go 13-3, 11-4-1, 12-4 then 8-8 made the Conference game twice and Super Bowl once. Harbaugh leaves under a cloud.

Baalke remains in ‘15 and ‘16 as GM and San Francisco go 5-11 and 2-14.

Now, I’m not saying Baalke is not a part of the success but the facts are he never had a winning season outside the Harbaugh era in San Francisco, so I would surmise the leader of the turnaround and the guy who built the success, built the roster was actually Harbaugh. Your proof is in black and white, it’s pretty clear is it not? 

58 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

No fascination, just think he’s the best option. There are several others I like too.

Im really scratching my head about why you don’t think he can put together an NFL roster, he did it and took a bedraggled team from nowhere to the Super Bowl in a couple years (obviously with help from Baalke) but the question remains, if it was primarily Baalke rather than Harbaugh, then why did their results only pick up when Harbaugh was there and nosedived dramatically when he left?

Let’s look at the facts:

Baalke was Director of Pro Personel in 2008 to 2010 I believe then GM from 2011 to 2016. So very influential in all those years. 

2008 to 2010 San Francisco went 7-9, 8-8 then 6-10.

Harbaugh comes along to ride on Baalke’s coattails and San Francisco go 13-3, 11-4-1, 12-4 then 8-8 made the Conference game twice and Super Bowl once. Harbaugh leaves under a cloud.

Baalke remains in ‘15 and ‘16 as GM and San Francisco go 5-11 and 2-14.

Now, I’m not saying Baalke is not a part of the success but the facts are he never had a winning season outside the Harbaugh era in San Francisco, so I would surmise the leader of the turnaround and the guy who built the success, built the roster was actually Harbaugh. Your proof is in black and white, it’s pretty clear is it not? 

Regardless, why would you want a guy with full roster control a third straight time? It didn’t work the first two times. And it never works for any team outside of New England. 

23 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

Regardless, why would you want a guy with full roster control a third straight time? It didn’t work the first two times. And it never works for any team outside of New England. 

Not true. At all.  Sean Peyton had it with the saints.  Pete Carroll had it with the Seahawks. Andy Reid in Philly and now again in KC, it was thought Harbough had most of the control at the Niners but no one really knows. Al Davis controlled everything at the raiders when they were successful, Jimmy Johnson had it, holmgren had it, Vince Lombardi had it, don Shula had it. 

Actually, historically, many have had success having total roster control. You just have to be very good. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Not true. At all.  Sean Peyton had it with the saints.  Pete Carroll had it with the Seahawks. Andy Reid in Philly and now again in KC, it was thought Harbough had most of the control at the Niners but no one really knows. Al Davis controlled everything at the raiders when they were successful, Jimmy Johnson had it, holmgren had it, Vince Lombardi had it, don Shula had it. 

Actually, historically, many have had success having total roster control. You just have to be very good. 

And most aren’t. It’s failed the last two times, and even with your examples, fails a huge huge vast majority of the time. So why do it a third time in a row? Especially when the guy has been out of the league ten years? Especially when there are other great HC candidates? 

1 minute ago, Tank4Drake said:

And most aren’t. It’s failed the last two times, and even with your examples, it fails a huge huge vast majority of the time.

Really? What's the percentage of times a coach has been given full control and failed to produce winning teams? You're assuming a fact. Just like you assumed it had only been successful in NE when in fact it's been hugely successful throughout league history. 

When I started to look it up I found that most coaches that were given full control were elite and many of them actually succeeded. (Most of the time because when it's done, it's a huge huge name who's proven success) I'd wager if we did the research the percentage that they succeed would be much much higher than you think

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tank4Drake said:

And most aren’t. It’s failed the last two times, and even with your examples, fails a huge huge vast majority of the time. So why do it a third time in a row? Especially when the guy has been out of the league ten years? Especially when there are other great HC candidates? 

You just have to choose the right guy, it’s just like GMs really if you give them roster control, you simply have to have someone that knows what they’re doing and can evaluate talent. I know that’s a gross simplification but it’s what it boils down to. 

I totally understand if you don’t like Harbaugh and fear he’ll alienate people and cause friction, that’s a valid concern. 

The thing is, you can say the same things about coordinators that have been promoted, a huge number of those fail too. We just had that too 😁 There’s only 32 NFL Head Coaches and only half of those are good to great so statistically, I would think most new coaches fail. I can see the merits of the guy from Detroit but let’s not act like it’s a sure thing. Every candidate is a risk man.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2023 at 10:36 AM, NYRaider said:

After watching Carr absolutely crap the bed against Baker Mayfield, Kenny Pickett, the Falcons, Jets, etc. over the years in must win games to seal playoff berths I still stand on my statement that the Saints are not making the playoffs brother. 

Dobbs lighting this dudes up 🫠

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Josh Dobbs is a good QB

I also think the Vikes have a very good Offensive system. A great TE allows so much creativity in ways to attack the field. 

not to take anything away from Hobbs, he is a good qb. Or at least capable, unlike our 30 mil qb 🤣

• Like 1