Around The League V.2

Totty

52 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I think we really only have two solid players at the position if you count Joyner. Worley has played average to below-average through last season, and Mullen and Johnson are rookies with the former getting picked on a bunch last game. Corner is not a position you want to mess around with, and if an elite talent is available you go get him.

Howard is a good but not truly elite corner and is one of the most penalized DB's in the NFL. Do you want to have the highest-paid CB in the league when he's not a true #1 shut down guy?

54 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Howard is a bigger upgrade over Worley than Fitzpatrick would be over Harris. As far as on-field play goes, Harris has out-played Fitzpatrick full stop.

Howard is also the highest-paid player at his position despite not being an elite player. While Fitzpatrick is on a rookie deal. 

Conley Worley and Mullens are boundary corners. Joyner and Fitzpatrick could rotate playing single high safety and nickle corner. Karl Joseph, and later when he is back, Jonathan Abram play in the box safety.

Fitzpatrick is a converted corner playing safety, and the Dolphins keep putting him in the box because they can't stop the run. I'd really like it if we can pull it off, but I'm really hoping if we don't get him he goes to the NFC.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Howard is also the highest-paid player at his position despite not being an elite player. While Fitzpatrick is on a rookie deal. 

Howard is a good to great-player at a higher-valued position vs. an average to good player at a lower-valued position (and need).

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

Conley Worley and Mullens are boundary corners. Joyner and Fitzpatrick could rotate playing single high safety and nickle corner. Karl Joseph, and later when he is back, Jonathan Abram play in the box safety.

Fitzpatrick is a converted corner playing safety, and the Dolphins keep putting him in the box because they can't stop the run. I'd really like it if we can pull it off, but I'm really hoping if we don't get him he goes to the NFC.

If they're tanking, what do they care?  Put him where he can succeed and be more valuable to trade?  Or no?

37 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Howard is a good to great-player at a higher-valued position vs. an average to good player at a lower-valued position (and need).

Howard isn't a great player and as I've said multiple times he's the highest-paid player in the league at his position. And how can you say Fitzpatrick is an average to good player? He only has one year under his belt and was the 11th pick in 2018. 

In the 3 years he has been in the NFL he ranks: 

Penalties committed: 6th (86% of his penalties have come in press-man coverage)

Forced incompletion %: 42nd

Yards allowed per coverage snap: 42nd

Edited by NYRaider

39 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Howard isn't a great player and as I've said multiple times he's the highest-paid player in the league at his position. And how can you say Fitzpatrick is an average to good player? He only has one year under his belt and was the 11th pick in 2018. 

In the 3 years he has been in the NFL he ranks: 

Penalties committed: 6th (86% of his penalties have come in press-man coverage)

Forced incompletion %: 42nd

Yards allowed per coverage snap: 42nd

I said he's good to great. What I mean by that is he can play great at times, but he's at least a good player at the position. Howard being the highest-paid corner is justifiable. Corner is like left tackle and quarterback; the next player up to be paid is often going to be the next highest player at the position--that's how important the position is. Howard won't be the highest-paid corner once guys like Ramsey and Lattimore are due.

I can say Fitzpatrick is an average to good player because I've seen him play. He's an average corner and deep safety but a good slot zone corner.

45 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I said he's good to great. What I mean by that is he can play great at times, but he's at least a good player at the position. Howard being the highest-paid corner is justifiable. Corner is like left tackle and quarterback; the next player up to be paid is often going to be the next highest player at the position--that's how important the position is. Howard won't be the highest-paid corner once guys like Ramsey and Lattimore are due.

I can say Fitzpatrick is an average to good player because I've seen him play. He's an average corner and deep safety but a good slot zone corner.

But safety is a bigger need for us right now than a corner. We already have Conley, Joyner, Worley, and Mullen at the position. Other than Joseph the rest of our safeties are below average. Curtis RIley/Erik Harris will be one of the worst starting safeties in the league. 

Plus you're getting Fitzpatrick on a 3 yr/$13M deal and Howard on a 5 yr/$75M deal. 

Edited by NYRaider

5 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Howard is a bigger upgrade over Worley than Fitzpatrick would be over Harris. As far as on-field play goes, Harris has out-played Fitzpatrick full stop.

Worley is at least a serviceable / average starter. Riley is one of, if not the, worst starting safety in the league.