Bengals to hire Rams QB coach Zac Taylor as head coach

49erurtaza

19 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

McVay has no business being compared to Andy and "his" tree given his short HC career. Theres nothing remotely similar.

No one was poaching coaches from Reid until he was winning playoff games and making several NFCCG.

McVay's Staff is just the flavor of the month that Owners are praying can be recreated with their own QB's/offense.

Point being that Andy Reid's staff gets poached regardless of playoff success. But hey, I'll take flavor of the month. It means people around the league think McVay is a genius. High praise for a guy in only his second year as a HC.

12 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Point being that Andy Reid's staff gets poached regardless of playoff success. But hey, I'll take flavor of the month. It means people around the league think McVay is a genius. High praise for a guy in only his second year as a HC.

His staff continues to get poached because  its proven over the past 15+ years to produce numerous Division Winners and several SB Champion HC.

There are no similarities "right now" nor should they ever be compared.

McVay has more in common with Chip Kelly and his 1st two years, then Andy Reid. Maybe one of these assistants  become the next Bill Lazor? I'd say Shurmur but he already had HC experience.

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

His staff continues to get poached because  its proven over the past 15+ years to produce numerous Division Winners and several SB Champion HC.

There are no similarities "right now" nor should they ever be compared.

McVay has more in common with Chip Kelly and his 1st two years, then Andy Reid. Maybe one of these assistants  become the next Bill Lazor?

Funny. You seem quite defensive. None of Kelly's staff members got HC jobs during that time.

11 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

It's definitely praise, but it isn't like McVay is the new Belichick, at least not at this point.

I think he has done a fantastic job, but unless they start winning some playoff games, it all might be a little too soon and too knee jerk to go after his assistants like this...

Are we sure the ball boys are safe, at this point?

5 minutes ago, kramxel said:

It's definitely praise, but it isn't like McVay is the new Belichick, at least not at this point.

I think he has done a fantastic job, but unless they start winning some playoff games, it all might be a little too soon and too knee jerk to go after his assistants like this...

Are we sure the ball boys are safe, at this point?

Well, you can't exactly wait when the carousel is moving. And let's not pretend that McVay is 0-6 or something in the playoffs. He's 0-1, and almost nobody expected us to make the playoffs in his first year.

9 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Funny. You seem quite defensive. None of Kelly's staff members got HC jobs during that time.

Only about you comparing him to Reid, nothing more. Chip is actually  a good comparison. 

They both Took the league by storm with new innovated ideas, led top ranked offense, utilized playmakers galore to their fullest, Division Title 1st season but no playoff success.

Major difference being McVay isn't stupid enough to gut the roster of talent being a dictator thinking the NFL with grown a$$ men is College. Rams are definitely  luckier then we were.

2 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Our roster has never been the fundamental issue this past half decade. We're far from devoid of talent. The coaching has been the issue, hence the change.

Our poor defensive ranking isn't really indicative of our defensive personnel. Teryl Austin was let go for good reason - he was terrible. The defense was noticeably better under Marvin. 

Also, we fielded literally the youngest roster in the NFL entering the season. I think we're better off than you're giving us credit for. It wouldn't surprise me to see a quick turnaround considering the talent our new HC, OC and DC has at the disposal.

We are about to find out really quick whether the issue was coaching or not.  The Bengals last won a playoff game my junior year of college.  My daughter is now a junior in college.  The only true constant in all of that time is Mike Brown.  I'm not going to suggest that Marvin Lewis was a Hall of Fame worthy coach, but I have also always felt that he had one hand perpetually tied behind his back because of the Mike brown factor.  If Taylor lights it up, we know Lewis was the problem.  if not, we know that Brown might have always been the biggest obstacle in the road to success.  The best news out of all of this is that Mike wanted Bienemy or Joseph, but his daughter and son in law (next in line for running things) convinced him to go with Taylor

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

Only about you comparing him to Reid, nothing more. Chip is actually  a good comparison. 

They both Took the league by storm with new innovated ideas, led top ranked offense, utilized playmakers galore to their fullest, Division Title 1st season but no playoff success.

Major difference being McVay isn't stupid enough to gut the roster of talent being a dictator thinking the NFL with grown a$$ men is College. Rams are definitely  luckier then we were.

Chip is a pretty terrible comparison in a discussion about McVay's assistants being hired as HCs lol. And it's an even worse comparison when you consider that Chip used a gimmicky college offense to take the league by storm that was eventually figured out and crushed, while McVay is running a variant of systems that have been around for decades. If we're making comparisons, McVay is more similar to Jon Gruden or Sean Payton than Chip Kelly.

And I didn't compare him to Andy Reid. I used Andy Reid as an example of somebody whose assistants are hired regardless of playoff success. It's not a make or break thing.

17 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

Someone with some coordinator experience? This hire may be worst than the Kingsbury one. At least he had coordinating and head coaching experience.

Because those 10 year veteran coordinators have such a great track record? Coaching hires no matter the guys credentials are a crap shoot. Just because a guy has less experience doesn’t mean he was a bad hire, we won’t know that for a few years.

44 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Because those 10 year veteran coordinators have such a great track record? Coaching hires no matter the guys credentials are a crap shoot. Just because a guy has less experience doesn’t mean he was a bad hire, we won’t know that for a few years.

I think it's less of a shock when someone already has coordinator experience, and his used to managing dozens of players.

It doesn't always translate to their ability as HCs because there's a LOT more nuances involved in being a successful coach.

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

McVay has no business being compared to Andy and "his" tree given his short HC career. Theres nothing remotely similar.

No one was poaching coaches from Reid until he was winning playoff games and making several NFCCG.

McVay's Staff is just the flavor of the month that Owners are praying can be recreated with their own QB's/offense.

Two things:

1. So why were so many of Marvin's assistants poached then?
  2. There were extenuating circumstances with Reid
    1. Eagles - 99-01 
      1. OC Rod Dowhower - no one viewed him guy as HC material.  In fact, Dowhower already had had a failed experience with the Colts in 85-86 as HC.
    2. Jim Johnson stuck around until 2008.  Meaning Reid had a guy who was somehow only viewed universally as a DC for his first 9 years.
    3. Brad Childress took over as OC in 2002, and took until 2006 to get a HC offer.  But he never called plays...and we all know that's usually seen as a detriment.

17 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Based on what? Were you in the room during the interviews?

Were you? 

No, didn't think so.

Kingsbury has been a head coach, and also had a somewhat nifty offense of his own design.

17 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Well I wouldn't say successful. I mean he was a sub.500 coach. 

To your point of HC experience; 
-Kingsbury has 6 years of head coaching experience at the college level and zero NFL experience.
-Taylor has 7 years of coaching experience including 6 years of first hand NFL experience but zero as a head coach.

Now how you choose to weigh these are entirely up to you but personally I would rather take the one who has atleast been in &/or around the NFL environment vs someone who has not. There is something to be said about the difference in trying to maintain order among kids playing a game for free vs grown men, some of which older than you, making millions. 

I gotta imagine that Taylor at the very least picked up on some of this during his time with the Dolphins and Rams on how to handle these situations. And much more so than Kingsbury has up to this point. 

Wasn't Kingsbury a player in the NFL?  Doesn't that give him some insight into the workings of the league? 

1 hour ago, kramxel said:

I think it's less of a shock when someone already has coordinator experience, and his used to managing dozens of players.

It doesn't always translate to their ability as HCs because there's a LOT more nuances involved in being a successful coach.

I'm trying to think of position coaches who were elevated to HC. I'm probably forgetting some, but it seems like they were more successful than you'd expect. I'd guess that's because it's rare, so you have to be a very impressive position coach. To name a few off the top of my head, you have Sean Payton, Anthony Lynn (debatable), Mike Tomlin, Raheem Morris, and John Harbaugh (debatable). This off-season, you more or less have Taylor and Kitchens.

Archived