NFC Championship: Rams vs. Saints

DigInBoys

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

"Yes, Gurley averaged 5 yards per carry, but if you just remove his 10+ yard runs, he was well contained." We're talking about whether or not the Saints can stop the Rams' rushing attack. If Gurley and Anderson average 5+ yards per carry, y'all's offense better be clicking.

I mean, take out the one big run he had and his YPC drops significantly. Include his catches and his yards per touch isn't impressive. The Saints did a good job of containing Gurley and its a big reason they came out on top, don't know what else to say.

Mark Ingram had 53 yards on 9 carries yesterday, a rushing average of 5.9 YPC, but I wouldn't say he was particularly effective in that game. Why? Because he amassed the bulk of his yards on one play which was a 36-yard run. Besides that one play he was mostly a non-factor (except for pass protection, etc)

Just now, MookieMonstah said:

I mean, take out the one big run he had and his YPC drops significantly. Include his catches and his yards per touch isn't impressive. The Saints did a good job of containing Gurley and its a big reason they came out on top, don't know what else to say.

It must be nice to rely on "context" that involves removing the plays that damage your argument. xD

Just now, MookieMonstah said:

You also only used running numbers. I can't quite put my finger on why Rams fans would ignore the fact that the Saints completely contained Gurley in the passing game... Hmmmmmmmm.

Because we're talking about the Rams' rushing attack vs. the Saints' run defense. Try to catch up.

Just now, jrry32 said:

24/68 =/= 50%

How about all those receiving yards he had?

The Saints contained Gurley better than anyone besides Arizona did this season. He wasn't running the ball well outside of a big 24 yard run, and he did nothing in the passing game. You're being intentionally obtuse.

Because we're talking about the Rams' rushing attack vs. the Saints' run defense. Try to catch up.

Read my post. I said the Saints contained Gurley, which they did. When you include his receiving numbers he averaged 4.1 yards per touch, and thats with a 24 yard rush. I'd say thats a pretty damn good job containing one of the best weapons in the league.

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

Kamara with 106 yards of offense, 4.5 ypc, 8.8 ypr, and having a 40+ yard touchdown getting called back is far from holding Kamara in check for large chunks. If anyone held Kamara in check, it was Sean Payton who didn't give Kamara a single touch until the Saints 3rd possession.

Ingram had 62 yards on 10 touches. The Saints were trying to force the deep ball in the 1st Quarter, and he barely saw any touches until the 2nd quarter. Hardly an accomplishment to contain him for part of a game.

Aren't the Saints the number 2 ranked run defense in the NFL? If I'm not mistaken the Saints have held their opponents to under 17 points in 7 of their last 9 games (One of those 2 games was week 17 when the Saints rested several starters). The Saints have other good run stopping DT's that aren't quite as good as Rankins, but still are hard to beat in the run game. The Rankins loss hurts us most in getting pressure on the QB, but Goff doesn't concern me that much. I'll be more concerned in that regard if we face Mahomes or Brady in the Super Bowl.

But if you take out Kamara's 23 yard catch and 15 yard run, he only had 3.7 per touch. Better equivalency?

It must be nice to rely on "context" that involves removing the plays that damage your argument. xD

I included an example from the Saints game yesterday that shows I'm not being inconsistent.

That entire game, my Twitter feed and texts were going off. "Where's Ingram?" "We're not using Ingram!" Then he suddenly breaks off a 36-yarder. That's great, but it doesn't erase the fact that for most of the game, he wasn't doing jack squat.

1 minute ago, MookieMonstah said:

Read my post. I said the Saints contained Gurley, which they did.

The conversation is about whether the Rams can successfully run the ball against the Saints' run defense. I hope you see why Gurley's receiving totals aren't important to that conversation. You responded to the posts of others discussing that specific conversation. You can't blame me for not addressing a straw man argument.

Just now, jrry32 said:

The conversation is about whether the Rams can successfully run the ball against the Saints' run defense. I hope you see why Gurley's receiving totals aren't important to that conversation. You responded to the posts of others discussing that specific conversation. You can't blame me for not addressing a straw man argument.

You don't think screens and dump offs to a HB are an extension of the run game? This is a thread about the NFCCG, I said last time the Saints did a good job of containing Gurley. Which they did.

You're being intentionally obtuse.

Archived