NFC Championship: Rams vs. Saints

DigInBoys

43 minutes ago, showtime said:

I think the Eagles gave up like a 3rd and 16 and a 3rd and 20.  Those are just back breakers.  If you double cover and roll coverage toward Michael Thomas and scheme to limit Kamara, can everyone else on the Saints beat you?  I'm not trying to diss the Saints other receivers and playmakers, but I'm taking my chance at letting Brees throw to those guys over and over again over letting Thomas get 12 catches for nearly 200 yards - that was absurd.

Ginn has played surprisingly well for us the past 2 years. He has made several clutch plays for us despite his reputation for having bad hands most of his career.

2 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

So you get to take away a play, and say he was contained.

But I don't get to note a play where Kamara beat his guy badly deep for a 40+ yard touchdown? Seems silly to me.

The Saints played the Rams before without Davenport at DE in the lineup the first go around. The Rams didn't break 100 yards rushing. The Saints have also continued to improve on defense since that matchup.

Yes because that was 1 play. The rest of his carries were hardly over 2 ypc. That is called inefficient. 

No. He beat a guy thanks to his o-lineman holding the defender. Seems silly to pretend otherwise. Had Peat not been holding, it's more likely Kamara runs for - yardage on that play. 

48 minutes ago, showtime said:

I think the Eagles gave up like a 3rd and 16 and a 3rd and 20.  Those are just back breakers.  If you double cover and roll coverage toward Michael Thomas and scheme to limit Kamara, can everyone else on the Saints beat you?  I'm not trying to diss the Saints other receivers and playmakers, but I'm taking my chance at letting Brees throw to those guys over and over again over letting Thomas get 12 catches for nearly 200 yards - that was absurd.

They did double Michael Thomas the first game and it didn't work out well for them.  I don't know how much they doubled him this time, but now that Ginn's back, it may not a good thing to do.

1 minute ago, Jlowe22 said:

They did double Michael Thomas the first game and it didn't work out well for them.  I don't know how much they doubled him this time, but now that Ginn's back, it may not a good thing to do.

What would you rather do, double team Thomas and try to limit him as much as possible or be afraid of single covering Ted Ginn?

3 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Yes because that was 1 play. The rest of his carries were hardly over 2 ypc. That is called inefficient. 

So just like Gurley against that high ranked Saints defense?

3 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

No. He beat a guy thanks to his o-lineman holding the defender. Seems silly to pretend otherwise. Had Peat not been holding, it's more likely Kamara runs for - yardage on that play. 

It was a 40 yard catch. That doesn't make sense. He torched the Defensive Back and pulled in a 40 yard catch. Again if we are taking out plays, then we can just as easily add plays where the RB clearly nailed their assignment beating the defense.

What point is it you're even trying to make? 
Against the Saints a few weeks back, yes, Gurley was held to something like 2.9 ypc if you take away his 2 longest gains.

That is still better than Ingram was yesterday. 

The Rams run game has gotten better, the Saints run d probably just got a little weaker. 

I digress, it was a pass. If Peat hadn't been holding, maybe Brees gets laid out Alex Smith style and never gets that ball out of his hands. Still a moot point. 

Further, what does a Kamara catch have to do with any discussion about the Rams run game, Gurley, or the Saints run D? 

1 minute ago, showtime said:

What would you rather do, double team Thomas and try to limit him as much as possible or be afraid of single covering Ted Ginn?

You can't let a guy torch you like Thomas did regardless without doing anything.  

19 minutes ago, btfd16 said:

Page 13:

In the first half Gurley had carries of 2, 5, 14, 8, 4, 0, 3, 4. He averaged 5 YPC on the dot but outside of the 14 yard gain he was very well contained. The story was the exact same in the second half. He had carries of 0, 3, 0, 24, 5, 2, 1. He averaged 5 YPC but take out that 24 yard run and he was very well contained, again.

Well I know that I would consider Gurley contained the last time they played.  Sure he broke a few big plays but he had a 6.86 standard deviation.  Yesterday Ingram had a horrendous 11.42 stdev, while Kamara was better at 5.77 Stdev.  If you add in their receiving attempts, the plays without penalties and incomplete passes Gurley improves to 6.46 standard deviation with yesterday Ingram improves to 10.35 while Kamara actually drops a bit to 6.62, mostly off of the 23 yard reception.

1 hour ago, NVRamsFan said:

I’m not but I’m also not the one saying my team shut down a guy that had 5 ypc.

Nobody said the words "shut down" at any point. The word "contained" was used.

It's pretty hard to dispute the notion that Gurley had a minimal impact on that particular game, I can't believe anybody's actually saying otherwise.

50 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Against the Saints a few weeks back, yes, Gurley was held to something like 2.9 ypc if you take away his 2 longest gains.

And he was held to 4.1 yards per touch if you don't take away any of his carries.

That is still better than Ingram was yesterday. 

Yet if we don't magically take away touches, Ingram was much better on a per touch basis than Gurley was against the Saints.

The Rams run game has gotten better, the Saints run d probably just got a little weaker. 

They have played well the past few weeks, but also did very little against Chicago and Philly towards the end of the season. They beat up on Oakland, Cardinals, and Cowboys since those games. 2 out of 3 of those teams are a joke this year. The Rams undoubtedly have a great run game, but CJ Anderson is of little concern to me. The more touches he gets the less Gurley gets the ball. That's a plus as far as I'm concerned. There were very few holes for Gurley to run through in the first game, he did have 2 nice runs against us outside of that just about everything was well defended. Losing Rankins hurts us most in the pass game not the run game. Getting Davenport back this time around could certainly help when Gurley tries to get around the corner as Davenport has looked good containing around the edge this year.

I digress, it was a pass. If Peat hadn't been holding, maybe Brees gets laid out Alex Smith style and never gets that ball out of his hands. Still a moot point. 

Further, what does a Kamara catch have to do with any discussion about the Rams run game, Gurley, or the Saints run D? 

It has to do with your original statement that the Eagles held him in check much of the game, which isn't accurate. He topped 100 yards of offense, converted several key 1st downs, and had no problem getting open and nailing his assignments, as noted on his called back 40+ yard touchdown reception, which in this conversation is certainly noteworthy if you are taking plays away to make points.

I wouldn't compare anything the Eagles did or didn't do Sunday to what the Rams can and will do. Theres nothing remotely  similar  to the defense's other then having a Dominate DT on the Roster!

Rams have legit All Pro caliber CB who can be left on a Island with years of experience. 

Rams have a DC who will actually  Blitz and not be a scared little Mitch allowing Brees to be mush rush by only 4, all game long.

That's  not to say the Rams will dominate in any way shape or form Sunday but any narrative as to what the Eagles could/couldn't  do should be taken with a grain of salt. Injuries, Personnel and frankly "Coaching" is simply to drastically different to be an adequate example to use.

Just saying.

3 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Rams have a DC who will actually  Blitz and not be a scared little Mitch

1) Gym Shorts was not afraid of Mitch. Quite the opposite actually. 

2) I cannot confirm this (obviously) but I 100% believe that Shorts used tape from the Rams game as a baseline on how to beat Nagy offense and make them a non-factor. So it's a little ironic that you used the Eagles/Rams comparison. 

Archived