NFC Championship: Rams vs. Saints

DigInBoys

1 hour ago, MookieMonstah said:

Saints sold out to stop Gurley first half and it seemed to work well.

1 hour ago, El ramster said:

what? Bs lies.

he Avg 5.2 YPC. 

2 minutes ago, El ramster said:

He didn’t say receiving yards. He specially said rushing. 

You added YPC, he stated they stopped Gurley, which they did.

Saying the Saints stopped Gurley in the first half is silly. When you are down 35-14 you can't keep pounding the ball. When Gurley was running, he was having a good game. The Saints did a great job taking him out of the passing/screen game. 

If the Rams D doesn't play terribly in the first half this Sunday, you can expect a healthy dose of Gurley and CJ. If we get behind big again, we will have to air it out again. It's that simple. 

1 hour ago, Destructo Spin said:

Gurley had 3.6 YPC if you subtract a 24 yard run at a point when the score was 35-20 Saints, so overall his effectiveness in that game was obviously limited.

I also would suggest that the Rams didn't simply abandon the run because the Saints had the lead - at 14-14, you threw three straight passes for a three and out (and then a fake FG); At 21-14 Saints Gurley had a three-yard run on the first play of the drive then you passed five straight times. That seems more like a failure of playcalling at that point in the game, to get your best player the ball 1 out of 8 tries when it's a tied or one-score game.

I know it's a passing league and all, but if the Saints only got the ball to Kamara 1 out of 8 plays in a one-score game I'd be yelling at the TV.

Hahaha

Man how much the NFL would change if we could pick and chose as fans what counted and what didn't. 

21 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

Our oline is gonna have to find a way to block Donald or it's gonna be a long day.

Get it out quick. Not quite the same, but Pats just played a team with a great DL but poor (or no) LBs (kind of how LAR's front 7 is) - negated BosGram by getting it out ultra quick.

QUICK PASS STAND UP. QUICK PASS NATION WHUT.

2 hours ago, Destructo Spin said:

Hell, I'm not even saying you can't run on the Saints, I'm just saying you're not going to run it up the middle.

But I'm just talking football, if you all only care about trash talking I'll go find a more interesting crowd.

The Rams have a top 3 OL in football, and the saints wont have Sheldon rankins. Its entirely feasible they will run up the middle and have success. 

5 minutes ago, N4L said:

The Rams have a top 3 OL in football, and the saints wont have Sheldon rankins. Its entirely feasible they will run up the middle and have success. 

No, they won't.

(I don't think we're allowed to agree on the Rams) ;)

1 minute ago, Destructo Spin said:

I only did so for the purposes of pointing out that besides that one run, he wasn't overly effective. But that much is obvious anyway, to anybody who watched the game and saw what happened.

Besides that one touchdown, the Saints would not have beaten the Eagles.

You're right this is fun!

47 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Hahaha

Man how much the NFL would change if we could pick and chose as fans what counted and what didn't. 

I didn't say that it "didn't count." I was simply pointing out that, for long stretches of that game, Gurley was not effective at moving his team's offense.

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

No, it didn't. As Ramster said, he averaged over 5 yards per carry. The thing that worked well for the Saints in the first half was scoring 35 points.

2 hours ago, El ramster said:

what? Bs lies.

he Avg 5.2 YPC. 

In the first half Gurley had carries of 2, 5, 14, 8, 4, 0, 3, 4. He averaged 5 YPC on the dot but outside of the 14 yard gain he was very well contained. The story was the exact same in the second half. He had carries of 0, 3, 0, 24, 5, 2, 1. He averaged 5 YPC but take out that 24 yard run and he was very well contained, again.

Obviously Gurley is going to break one or two of those big runs but the Saints did a great job containing him not only in the run game, but especially the pass game.

48 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Hahaha

I mean, I don't see how its not a fair point. The Saints were up 2 scores late in the game and playing conservative to not let up a big passing play so Gurley busted a 24 yard run. Outside of that he was held to one of his worst performances of the season. Its okay to use context when discussing statistics.

45 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Get it out quick. Not quite the same, but Pats just played a team with a great DL but poor (or no) LBs (kind of how LAR's front 7 is) - negated BosGram by getting it out ultra quick.

QUICK PASS STAND UP. QUICK PASS NATION WHUT.

We do get the ball out quick but it’s not always enough.

Just now, MookieMonstah said:

In the first half Gurley had carries of 2, 5, 14, 8, 4, 0, 3, 4. He averaged 5 YPC on the dot but outside of the 14 yard gain he was very well contained. The story was the exact same in the second half. He had carries of 0, 3, 0, 24, 5, 2, 1. He averaged 5 YPC but take out that 24 yard run and he was very well contained, again.

Obviously Gurley is going to break one or two of those big runs but the Saints did a great job containing him not only in the run game, but especially the pass game.

"Yes, Gurley averaged 5 yards per carry, but if you just remove his 10+ yard runs, he was well contained." We're talking about whether or not the Saints can stop the Rams' rushing attack. If Gurley and Anderson average 5+ yards per carry, y'all's offense better be clicking.

Archived