NFC Championship: Rams vs. Saints

DigInBoys

7 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

This sounds an awful lot like what the Cowboys fans were saying.

Did the Cowboys have the #1 run defense in the league though?

That's not idle boasting; I'm just telling you what happened. There's a reason the Saints haven't allowed a 100-yard rusher in their last 25 games.

9 minutes ago, Destructo Spin said:

Hell, I'm not even saying you can't run on the Saints, I'm just saying you're not going to run it up the middle.

But I'm just talking football, if you all only care about trash talking I'll go find a more interesting crowd.

That is the complete opposite of trash talking. Ladies and gentlemen the year 2019. 

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Read again: "in this game". 

The Eagles were 1 dimensional yesterday, because Smallwood isn't scaring anyone, and it hurt the pass game. The Saints cued in on that and essentially shut (actually, no, they literally did) the Eagles offense down other than the failed comeback drive. I never said the Rams had the better unit, but this isn't Big12 football. The best WR unit in the league would be screwed with Philadelphia's run game yesterday. The Rams have the luxury of not having to worry about that. 

Don't forget the most important person to blame ,Pederson. McVay will call the game the complete opposite Sunday. Sean won't abandon the run like Doug did regardless if Fat Anderson or Gurley are healthy or not.

Even if the Rams go down 2 Starters on the OL in a 1 possesion game , He will still TRY to stay balanced. Pederson forgot that!!

18 minutes ago, Destructo Spin said:

Hell, I'm not even saying you can't run on the Saints, I'm just saying you're not going to run it up the middle.

But I'm just talking football, if you all only care about trash talking I'll go find a more interesting crowd.

And I'm saying that the Cowboys fans felt the same way. You're the #2 rushing defense in both yardage and YPC allowed. We're the #3 rushing offense in both yardage and YPC. Neither of us can say with any certainty what will happen. It's strength vs. strength. Problem for you is that our strength got stronger with C.J. Anderson, while yours just got weaker when you lost Rankins.

22 minutes ago, Destructo Spin said:

Did the Cowboys have the #1 run defense in the league though?

That's not idle boasting; I'm just telling you what happened. There's a reason the Saints haven't allowed a 100-yard rusher in their last 25 games.

No. Neither did the Saints. The Bears have the #1 run defense. The Cowboys were #5 in YPC and #5 in YPG Allowed. The Saints are #2 in both categories. However, that was with Sheldon Rankins.

8 minutes ago, El ramster said:

That is the complete opposite of trash talking. Ladies and gentlemen the year 2019. 

I told you a stat, you said "LOL fake"

If that's the caliber of dialogue to be had here, I don't care if you call it trash talk or anything else, it's not worth wasting my time on.

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

And I'm saying that the Cowboys fans felt the same way. You're the #2 rushing defense in both yardage and YPC allowed. We're the #3 rushing offense in both yardage and YPC. Neither of us can say with any certainty what will happen. It's strength vs. strength. Problem is for you is that our strength got stronger with C.J. Anderson, while yours just got weaker when you lost Rankins.

No. Neither did the Saints. The Bears have the #1 run defense. The Cowboys were #5 in YPC and #5 in YPG Allowed. The Saints are #2 in both categories. However, that was with Sheldon Rankins.

I checked and you're right. They were #2 in total rush yardage allowed and also #2 in yards per carry allowed.

However they were #1 in both categories the entire season before giving up 98 yards/4.3 YPC in the season finale to the Panthers where most of the starters didn't play. Otherwise they were the top run defense in the league from week 1 to halftime of week 17.

So it would not be inaccurate to suggest they might still very well be the best run defense in football; either way they are very very good at it.

As for Rankins, I'm not sure his absence suggests any weakness against the run, if they're going to play both Davison and Onyemata at the same time. If anything both those players are better against the run than Rankins is, at the expense of they don't rush the passer as well.

2 minutes ago, Destructo Spin said:

I checked and you're right. They were #2 in total rush yardage allowed and also #2 in yards per carry allowed.

However they were #1 in both categories the entire season before giving up 98 yards/4.3 YPC in the season finale to the Panthers where most of the starters didn't play. Otherwise they were the top run defense in the league from week 1 to halftime of week 17.

So it would not be inaccurate to suggest they might still very well be the best run defense in football; either way they are very very good at it.

That was also true the first time we played. Gurley still averaged 5 yards per carry. The big problem in that game was our defense allowing y'all to jump out to such a massive lead forced us to abandon the run. But yes, you have a top run defense. We have a top rush offense. It should be a fun matchup.

Gurley had 3.6 YPC if you subtract a 24 yard run at a point when the score was 35-20 Saints, so overall his effectiveness in that game was obviously limited.

I also would suggest that the Rams didn't simply abandon the run because the Saints had the lead - at 14-14, you threw three straight passes for a three and out (and then a fake FG); At 21-14 Saints Gurley had a three-yard run on the first play of the drive then you passed five straight times. That seems more like a failure of playcalling at that point in the game, to get your best player the ball 1 out of 8 tries when it's a tied or one-score game.

I know it's a passing league and all, but if the Saints only got the ball to Kamara 1 out of 8 plays in a one-score game I'd be yelling at the TV.

But TBH, I'm not terribly optimistic about the Saints chances in this game. They are awfully beat up on the offensive line and I do expect Rankins' absence to have a major impact on pass rush and pass coverage. If we manage to win it will be because Kamara pulled off a couple of superhuman moves and we get a punt block or something; I don't think the Saints are going to dominate in the trenches they way they did for the last three quarters against the Eagles.

good talk tho

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

If only the Eagles and Rams were playing then?

Drew Brees struggled for a good bit yesterday as well. It isn't like the Eagles have a bad secondary, much less a bad overall D. In fact, that's far from being the case. 

But Goff isn't playing a stout Eagles D that also rendered Mark Ingram ineffective for 3.5 quarters and largely held Alvin Kamara in check for large chunks.

Kamara with 106 yards of offense, 4.5 ypc, 8.8 ypr, and having a 40+ yard touchdown getting called back is far from holding Kamara in check for large chunks. If anyone held Kamara in check, it was Sean Payton who didn't give Kamara a single touch until the Saints 3rd possession.

Ingram had 62 yards on 10 touches. The Saints were trying to force the deep ball in the 1st Quarter, and he barely saw any touches until the 2nd quarter. Hardly an accomplishment to contain him for part of a game.

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

He's playing a Saints D that barely contained an offense who's leading rusher had 33 yards and a 3.3 ypc average. That will absolutely not happen with Gurley and Anderson. 

Aren't the Saints the number 2 ranked run defense in the NFL? If I'm not mistaken the Saints have held their opponents to under 17 points in 7 of their last 9 games (One of those 2 games was week 17 when the Saints rested several starters). The Saints have other good run stopping DT's that aren't quite as good as Rankins, but still are hard to beat in the run game. The Rankins loss hurts us most in getting pressure on the QB, but Goff doesn't concern me that much. I'll be more concerned in that regard if we face Mahomes or Brady in the Super Bowl.

12 minutes ago, Destructo Spin said:

Gurley had 3.6 YPC if you subtract a 24 yard run at a point when the score was 35-20 Saints, so overall his effectiveness in that game was obviously limited.

I also would suggest that the Rams didn't simply abandon the run because the Saints had the lead - at 14-14, you threw three straight passes for a three and out (and then a fake FG); At 21-14 Saints Gurley had a three-yard run on the first play of the drive then you passed five straight times. That seems more like a failure of playcalling at that point in the game, to get your best player the ball 1 out of 8 tries when it's a tied or one-score game.

I know it's a passing league and all, but if the Saints only got the ball to Kamara 1 out of 8 plays in a one-score game I'd be yelling at the TV.

You don't get to subtract runs. He averaged over 5 yards per carry in the first half of the game, and he averaged over 5 yards per carry in the second half of the game. Regardless of why the Rams abandoned the run initially, they did. McVay seems to have learned his lesson there.

Archived