To Be or Not to Be. That is the Eagle Question

Nabbs4u

13 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I don’t know if Graham’s market is going to be a lucrative as we might think. DeMarcus Lawrence, Jadaveon Clowney, Trey Flowers, Dee Ford, Ziggy Ansah, Za’Darius Smith, Preston Smith are all also FA’s. Granted some will be retained  but a few are going to hit the market and Graham is the oldest of all of them. I think it is about 60/40 he is back especially if Chris  Long retires. 

I think all of them will be retained by their current team outside maybe Trey Flowers and Ziggy...Flowers because of BB not wanting to pay anyone and Ziggy because he's 30

Both Smiths are currently in a 3-4...I think BG is strictly a 4-3 end at this stage. 

1 hour ago, nlesthought said:

I think all of them will be retained by their current team outside maybe Trey Flowers and Ziggy...Flowers because of BB not wanting to pay anyone and Ziggy because he's 30

Both Smiths are currently in a 3-4...I think BG is strictly a 4-3 end at this stage. 

Doesn't mean they can't be DE's in a 4-3

1 hour ago, nlesthought said:

32 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Doesn't mean they can't be DE's in a 4-3

Are you suggesting we could sign them? Not sure where B-more and Washington are cap wise but both teams have enough needs elsewhere that letting young rush OLBs walk away would be silly.  

2 hours ago, nlesthought said:

Are you suggesting we could sign them? Not sure where B-more and Washington are cap wise but both teams have enough needs elsewhere that letting young rush OLBs walk away would be silly.  

No I was saying that Brandon Graham might not get as big of a contract as people are thinking because there are several other pass rushers hitting the market and therefore it might be realistic that he comes back

I can see next season being a minor rebuild. Let a few overpriced FAs walk, shed a little cap space, spend on a few core players and then build via our draft. I think our key positions we need to invest in and (with how the draft stock is looking) will be O-line and D-line in the early rounds, RB at one point, DB depth, then use our mid to late round picks as trade fodder to move up and draft dropping talent and/or high risk high reward type rookies. 

Go Birds

Master "The Haul" Cheddaar

21 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

I can see next season being a minor rebuild. Let a few overpriced FAs walk, shed a little cap space, spend on a few core players and then build via our draft. I think our key positions we need to invest in and (with how the draft stock is looking) will be O-line and D-line in the early rounds, RB at one point, DB depth, then use our mid to late round picks as trade fodder to move up and draft dropping talent and/or high risk high reward type rookies. 

Go Birds

I'd be hard pressed to see Howie looking at it like that. We are one year removed from a Super Bowl. I think he still looks at this as our window for another being wide open. I think he'll do what he can to give this roster all the talent he can

5 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I'd be hard pressed to see Howie looking at it like that. We are one year removed from a Super Bowl. I think he still looks at this as our window for another being wide open. I think he'll do what he can to give this roster all the talent he can

We can either try to leap through the window as it closes or jam it open with a 2 by 4. I'd prefer long term success with a fresh crop of rookie talent but if we can get another superbowl title, I won't complain. 

Go Birds

11 hours ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Go Birds

howie spoke to dave spadaro earlier today it should be on the eagles website. He even said we are trying to win every year. there is no rebuild.

I also think we might just draft all 9 guys this year. The past two drafts were pretty sparse in terms of picks. Positions like safety and linebacker can use young players as depth.

We have a good core/foundation of talent.  It's up to Howie to replenish talent as they get older, add depth, and keep striving to make this team all around better the previous year.  As long as Carson is healthy and/or Nick is here, we should be contending year in, year out.

5 minutes ago, jonu62882 said:

We have a good core/foundation of talent.  It's up to Howie to replenish talent as they get older, add depth, and keep striving to make this team all around better the previous year.  As long as Carson is healthy and/or Nick is here, we should be contending year in, year out.

how do you weigh the options of losing to nick to FA and trading carson wentz for multiple firsts and players?

9 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

how do you weigh the options of losing to nick to FA and trading carson wentz for multiple firsts and players?

I don't even think about trading Carson unless I'm getting 4 firsts, or 3 1sts and a star player.  Even then, I gotta think about it carefully, but it would be hard to pass up.  On the other hand though, you might have Nick in his prime for another 5 years whereas Carson's prime is another 10 (assuming they both stay healthy).   There's just so many variables to his whole equation.  It's definitely a conundrum.  At the end of day, I think you gotta roll with Carson.  I doubt anyone would offer us enough compensation to justify even thinking about trading Carson.  I like the idea of keeping Nick another year as insurance to see how Carson plays/health issues to make be able to get more data on Carson and be able to make a more accurate decision.

Just now, jonu62882 said:

I don't even think about trading Carson unless I'm getting 4 firsts, or 3 1sts and a star player.  Even then, I gotta think about it carefully, but it would be hard to pass up.  On the other hand though, you might have Nick in his prime for another 5 years whereas Carson's prime is another 10 (assuming they both stay healthy).   There's just so many variables to his whole equation.  It's definitely a conundrum.  At the end of day, I think you gotta roll with Carson.  I doubt anyone would offer us enough compensation to justify even thinking about trading Carson.  I like the idea of keeping Nick another year as insurance to see how Carson plays/health issues to make be able to get more data on Carson and be able to make a more accurate decision.

Nick is only 3 years older than Carson. Gotta remember Carson was an old rookie.

3 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

Nick is only 3 years older than Carson. Gotta remember Carson was an old rookie.

Yeah, I underestimated slightly with Carson and slightly overestimated Nicks age, but still 3 more extra years of great franchise QB play is invaluable (assuming QBs prime is until 35, anything extra would be gravy for me).  The more I think about it, I still would like to keep both for another year to help me make a better decision on which direction I want to pursue.  This will provide a good hedge/insurance against Carson in case he can't stay healthy again or has a down year.

1 hour ago, jonu62882 said:

Yeah, I underestimated slightly with Carson and slightly overestimated Nicks age, but still 3 more extra years of great franchise QB play is invaluable (assuming QBs prime is until 35, anything extra would be gravy for me).  The more I think about it, I still would like to keep both for another year to help me make a better decision on which direction I want to pursue.  This will provide a good hedge/insurance against Carson in case he can't stay healthy again or has a down year.

That ship has sailed IMO. Regardless of how well they all get along, friends etc. If Foles stays, a QB controversy will actually be in effect this year. A Back up QB making $20m , while the supposed FQB isn't making 1/2 that with no Long term talks in effect because  they are "deciding" who to keep?

Despite the SB MVP there was no QB controversy.  The entire world knew Wentz was the future. You bring Foles back based off this years run, all that changes. Constant 24/7 questions, immediately  following every loss and win.

Easy Pass. Let him Start somewhere  else and get whatever you can to support the FQB you have. Carson Wentz.

Archived