Raiders Defense

Rolni

2 hours ago, Dessie said:

Heath isn’t a LB. I’ve asked before when does Guenther play 3 safeties and how does that match up against 11 personnel which is the most common offensive formation? 

I think he did with Taylor Mays when he was with the Bengals. And i'm not totally sure but i vaguely remember Harris playing a similar role at some point in 2018. Anyway, it's in a big nickel formation and it shouldn't stop us from adding a LB because that's for a different role.

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

From what I have read about Brooks is that he projects to a 2 down attacking LB to start his career and should be able to develop into a starting weakside backer.  I think he is an improvement over every LB we had last year except Burfict.  If we are playing Lee at Sam Brooks would be a good pick as he could back up all 3 positions if needed.  WGJ would have been drafted a lot higher if he did not have to miss 8 games last year.  He would need to develop also but like Brooks has the tools if we have the coaches.  There are a lot of LBs to draft in the 3rd and I hope Mayock can strike gold again.  

Yeah brooks might be able to move to will.  Do I know me can’t, do u know he can? No, lol.  I’m not saying he can’t just, just that it’s not his natural position and it’s iffy.  Or maybe he can.  He’s not a bad pick in the 3rd.  I just prefer a SAM like Harrison if available because we have Lee at Sam and  Littleton + morrow at will.  Just way more need at Sam.

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Really? He started 29 games over the last two seasons for a Cowboys defense that ranked in the top 10 both years. 

The entire time cowboys fans complained about their safety play.  And safeties weren’t the strong point of the D.... at all.

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Most definitely. We need a FS to pair with Abram going forward. Really hoping that we end up with Ashtyn Davis in the third round. 

I think Davis will be overdrafted. He's more athlete than football player rn. I think he goes in the early to mid 2nd.

13 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think Davis will be overdrafted. He's more athlete than football player rn. I think he goes in the early to mid 2nd.

I think the groin injury and him not testing at the combine or a pro day will push him down the board. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Totty said:

Sorry if I missed it but is Collins a starter on this defense or is it Hurst and Hankins and bring in Collins on passing downs? 

I think it's Hurst/Hall+Hankins on early downs and Hurst+Collins on passing downs. BUT Collins might end up playing more snaps it depends on what Guenther thinks of Collins.

35 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Yeah brooks might be able to move to will.  Do I know me can’t, do u know he can? No, lol.  I’m not saying he can’t just, just that it’s not his natural position and it’s iffy.  Or maybe he can.  He’s not a bad pick in the 3rd.  I just prefer a SAM like Harrison if available because we have Lee at Sam and  Littleton + morrow at will.  Just way more need at Sam.

I think Harrison will have issues covering TEs and might only be a 2 down LB.  What LBs do you like at SAM?  I think we need 2 more LBs even if we play a lot of big nickel.  I do not want want Wilber on the field except for special teams, Lee can start at Sam but should not be on the field in passing situations unless he is forced to play MLB, Morrow is a good back up but not a starter, and two 3 down starters.  We look a lot better on paper but we still need 2 more capable players if Morrow does not improve or Lee stay healthy.  Let them battle it out in camp.

45 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I think Harrison will have issues covering TEs and might only be a 2 down LB.  What LBs do you like at SAM?  I think we need 2 more LBs even if we play a lot of big nickel.  I do not want want Wilber on the field except for special teams, Lee can start at Sam but should not be on the field in passing situations unless he is forced to play MLB, Morrow is a good back up but not a starter, and two 3 down starters.  We look a lot better on paper but we still need 2 more capable players if Morrow does not improve or Lee stay healthy.  Let them battle it out in camp.

Harrison can be a valuable role player against run heavy teams and in short yardage/goal line packages. It's good to have situational players. Especially young, cheap ones on rookie deals. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Harrison can be a valuable role player against run heavy teams and in short yardage/goal line packages. It's good to have situational players. Especially young, cheap ones on rookie deals. 

Exactly.  He’s a good blitzer too.  Really stuffs the run, can chase down from Backside.  we don’t need all coverage guys either.  There’s a place for a guy whose not Whitehead but isn’t Littleton either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

I think he might have issues with TEs early but he’d come off field on 3rd down.  I like Harrison cus he’s a good run stuffer snd blitzer and that supplements Lee in case of injury.  I like okwara as a DPR with some  ability in Sam,,, he can drop into zone pretty good.  Can browns a late round guy but I don’t want to just get a depth piece for the sake of it.

13 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Exactly.  He’s a good blitzer too.  Really stuffs the run, can chase down from Backside.  we don’t need all coverage guys either.  There’s a place for a guy whose not Whitehead but isn’t Littleton either.

Especially against teams that do use a fullback. If we play SF or Baltimore, Malik Harrison will be a valuable piece to help us. It's the same reason we may need a 4th corner for teams like KC that like to spread things out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Totty said:

Sorry if I missed it but is Collins a starter on this defense or is it Hurst and Hankins and bring in Collins on passing downs? 

Collins is by far a superior talent to Hall/Hurst. I don’t play video games but just think of Madden Ratings 

Collins- 82 lower 80s

Hurst- 72 

Hall- 70