Hall of Fame Finalists 2019?

x0x

1 minute ago, SBLIII said:

wouldn't be surprised if Ty Law would make it in considering Patriots need more representatives for their run and play in the SB tomorrow.

The HOF official twitter just announced he's in like a minute ago. 

Champ Bailey

Pat Bowlen

Gil Brandt

Tony Gonzalez

Ty Law

Kevin Mawae

Ed Reed

Johnny Robinson. 

So psyched for Law. Was afraid Reed and Bailey being finalists would keep him off the ballot

4 minutes ago, lancerman said:

I think he will eventually get in. I think they probably figured they were sending in two high profile members of the Broncos and didn't wantto overload the class

No argument at all there.  Atwater’s time will come.  

Ty Law, Gil Brandt and Johnny Robinson round out the class. 

For my money, Kevin Mawae and Ty Law aren't Hall of Famers. Especially Mawae over Faneca or Hutchinson.

Law is getting in because the Patriots are in the Super Bowl and no former Rams are up for eligibility so the Hall kept it's usual habit of inducting one player from one of the two teams playing in the Super Bowl.

Scratch that... Isaac Bruce was up for the Hall. Should've been in before Mawae. Especially with the Rams playing in the Super Bowl.

Just now, BlaqOptic said:

For my money, Kevin Mawae and Ty Law aren't Hall of Famers. Especially Mawae over Faneca or Hutchinson.

Law is getting in because the Patriots are in the Super Bowl and no former Rams are up for eligibility so the Hall kept it's usual habit of inducting one player from one of the two teams playing in the Super Bowl.

Law was a 2x first team all pro,  made the 2000's all decade team, led the league in INT's twice, and was the top defensive player in 3 Super Bowls that were widely viewed as defensively focused teams. He's also pretty much the reason for the NFL rule changes in 2004 that changed the game. If he didn't get in, only Brady and Vinatieri were getting in from those first 3 Super Bowls. 

4 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

Scratch that... Isaac Bruce was up for the Hall. Should've been in before Mawae. Especially with the Rams playing in the Super Bowl.

Law was a 5x Pro Bowler, 2x 1st team All-Pro, 2nd team All-Decade and should've been the MVP of Super Bowl XXXVI. Not sure what part of that doesn't qualify him for the HOF.

Seriously, what did Mawae do - other than kiss the press's butts - better than Faneca or Hutchinson? Less All-Pro appearances, less Pro Bowl appearances, less post-season success, and had several years mired in mediocrity until he got Curtis Martin running behind him.

5 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Law was a 2x first team all pro,  made the 2000's all decade team, led the league in INT's twice, and was the top defensive player in 3 Super Bowls that were widely viewed as defensively focused teams. He's also pretty much the reason for the NFL rule changes in 2004 that changed the game. If he didn't get in, only Brady and Vinatieri were getting in from those first 3 Super Bowls. 

Harrison will eventually get in. Bruschi will get in on veteran commitee vote some 20+ years down the line. Seymour under that same criterion, IMO.

Just now, BlaqOptic said:

Harrison will eventually get in. Bruschi will get in on veteran commitee vote some 20+ years down the line. Seymour under that same criterion, IMO.

Bruschi has no shot. Harrison might, if the logjam at safety clears, but I doubt it. Seymour is deserving no matter how you slice it.

2 minutes ago, Starless said:

Law was a 5x Pro Bowler, 2x 1st team All-Pro, 2nd team All-Decade and should've been the MVP of Super Bowl XXXVI. Not sure what part of that doesn't qualify him for the HOF.

Would you quantify Ty Law as one of the best DBs of all time. Forget accolades like All-Pro or Pro Bowler because those were basically guess jobs based on interception totals for the AP for the longest time. I don't think that anyone truly think Ty Law is one of the best DBs of all time. Amazing player for an amazing dynasty. Hall of Great. But I've learned that the logic behind the HoF voting has sense gone well out the window and the bar - and I'm not saying this is Law - has gone down for non-veteran committee selections as of late.

1 minute ago, Starless said:

Bruschi has no shot. Harrison might, if the logjam at safety clears, but I doubt it. Seymour is deserving no matter how you slice it.

Bruschi definitely has a Veterans Committee shot. The Hall of Fame is all about media narratives at this point. Whether true or not, the perception is that Bruschi led those elite defenses of the early 2000s. The stroke dynamic also will play a huge part. 

2 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

Would you quantify Ty Law as one of the best DBs of all time. Forget accolades like All-Pro or Pro Bowler because those were basically guess jobs based on interception totals for the AP for the longest time. I don't think that anyone truly think Ty Law is one of the best DBs of all time. Amazing player for an amazing dynasty. Hall of Great. But I've learned that the logic behind the HoF voting has sense gone well out the window and the bar - and I'm not saying this is Law - has gone down for non-veteran committee selections as of late.

I mean, there's a plethora of guys in the HOF who are nowhere near the ranks of the greatest ever to play their positions. I don't think that's been the criteria for a very long time.

8 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

I really don't think Bruschi will get in imo. He's been in the Pro Bowl once and only has a couple second team All Pro's. Harrison for some reason is just very disliked by the comittee and his position is ridculously difficult to get in at right now. 

Law was honestly the best chance of any defensive players to get a shot. 

8 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

I'd quantify him as one of the best of his era and the most important defensive player in a defensively focused dynasty in the early 2000's and one of the most importantant players ever for inducing one of the most monumental rule shifts in NFL history. Ty Law is one of the largest reasons a fabled GSOT team and a legendary 2004 Colts offense were unable to advance to win rings.

3 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

Bruschi definitely has a Veterans Committee shot. The Hall of Fame is all about media narratives at this point. Whether true or not, the perception is that Bruschi led those elite defenses of the early 2000s. The stroke dynamic also will play a huge part. 

I guess it depends on how the list of eligible players shakes out by the time he's Senior Committee eligible. It's tough to see him getting in ahead of some other prominent names that have been finalists in recent years but haven't gotten in. 

Archived