Free Agent Rumors

WindyCity

39 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Kind of less informed then we have been here on topic.

They have to sign more than one player in FA.  If it was just one and we are done then yeah, fine, let's resign one.

Fact is they have to sign a bunch of guys and keep next two years in mind.  Most will be very cheap, but numbers still count and add up.  Signing either Callahan or Amos without restructuring contracts makes for a salary cap nightmare. 

Bush can fill Amos shoes and Callahan leaves a potential hole, but is too slight to hold up through a whole NFL season.   So why pay either one?  Ideally we get them both back, but that isn't how it works.

Sims was one of the worst cap screw ups of Ryan Pace.

He sucked in year 1, yet they paid him a 6 million option to stick around last year and be even worse. That 6 million could have gone to the Mack extension or Goldman, or just rolled forward into this season giving the Bears 6 million more.

11 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Sims was one of the worst cap screw ups of Ryan Pace.

He sucked in year 1, yet they paid him a 6 million option to stick around last year and be even worse. That 6 million could have gone to the Mack extension or Goldman, or just rolled forward into this season giving the Bears 6 million more.

Agreed.  Nobody here wanted him back in 2018 much less 2019.

I think extending Long to $40 million with 2 years left on his rookie contract and dealing with serious injuries was probably worst one.  I said it at time, so it isn't hindsight for me.  If he can somehow stay healthy and play at a pro bowl level for 16 games and playoffs in 2019 I'll say I was wrong.   They should have traded him in 2016 not extended him.  Chicago teams never sell high.  Never. Something in the water.  

Parkey obviously was a huge mistake.  Acho contract is bad.

He's had a lot of free agent misses, but most of them were short term deals or without guaranteed money so they didn't really hurt.

6 hours ago, GOGRIESE said:

Amos said on XM Radio this morning that the Bears are going back and forth with him. Guess we'll see if there able to get something done. He talked about joining the Broncos too. 

Back and forth means they talked. That’s it. That’s not even news. 

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I think extending Long to $40 million with 2 years left on his rookie contract and dealing with serious injuries was probably worst one.  I said it at time, so it isn't hindsight for me.  If he can somehow stay healthy and play at a pro bowl level for 16 games and playoffs in 2019 I'll say I was wrong.   They should have traded him in 2016 not extended him.  Chicago teams never sell high.  Never. Something in the water.  

The Long extension was signed 9/4/2016. At that point Long had been on the team 3 years and had played in and started 47 of a possible 48 games, and was coming off his 3rd Pro Bowl birth in as many seasons. He didn’t have any serious injuries until the torn labrum and then the nasty ankle break he suffered 2 months after he signed the extension. He was arguably the best player on our roster when he signed the extension. 

23 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

The Long extension was signed 9/4/2016. At that point Long had been on the team 3 years and had played in and started 47 of a possible 48 games, and was coming off his 3rd Pro Bowl birth in as many seasons. He didn’t have any serious injuries until the torn labrum and then the nasty ankle break he suffered 2 months after he signed the extension. He was arguably the best player on our roster when he signed the extension. 

Sounds like someone needs to work on their hindsight 

Archived