Bears re-sign RT Bobby Massie to 4-year deal

TheKillerNacho

I wanted to see where Bobbie Massie actually ranked in terms of money compared to RT. People jumped out and said he was the 5th highest paid OT, which on face value is true, but the truth is that is a poor measure of where he actually ranks. Many of the free agent deals behind him were signed years ago when the cap was much smaller and they represented a larger percentage of the teams cap space. 

Based on % of the teams cap space  when signed, Bobbie Massie is closer to the 12th highest paid RT in the league.

For example Morgan Moses makes less than Bobbie Massie, but when he signed his deal he was making a larger percentage of the cap.

Chris Hubbard 4.1% [7.3 yearly average/177.2 cap]
Jared Veldheer 5.2% [7/133]
Morgan Moses 4.6% [7.7/167]
Mitchell Schwartz 4.2% [6.6/155.2]
Ryan Schradear 4% [6.3/155.2]

2016 Bobbie Massie 3.8% [6/155.2]
2018 Bobbie Massie 4.1% [8/191]

Massie, inflation adjusted, got a slight raise [.3%] over his previous deal in terms of the cap space he will use up.

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I wanted to see where Bobbie Massie actually ranked in terms of money compared to RT. People jumped out and said he was the 5th highest paid OT, which on face value is true, but the truth is that is a poor measure of where he actually ranks. Many of the free agent deals behind him were signed years ago when the cap was much smaller and they represented a larger percentage of the teams cap space. 

Based on % of the teams cap space  when signed, Bobbie Massie is closer to the 12th highest paid RT in the league.

For example Morgan Moses makes less than Bobbie Massie, but when he signed his deal he was making a larger percentage of the cap.

Chris Hubbard 4.1% [7.3 yearly average/177.2 cap]
Jared Veldheer 5.2% [7/133]
Morgan Moses 4.6% [7.7/167]
Mitchell Schwartz 4.2% [6.6/155.2]
Ryan Schradear 4% [6.3/155.2]

2016 Bobbie Massie 3.8% [6/155.2]
2018 Bobbie Massie 4.1% [8/191]

Massie, inflation adjusted, got a slight raise [.3%] over his previous deal in terms of the cap space he will use up.

There are currently 4 RTs (Lane Johnson, Ricky Wagner, Donald Penn, and Rob Havenstein) that have an AAV of $8M+ in the NFL this year.  He's reportedly getting $8M+ per year.  That's a top 5 highest paid RT.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

There are currently 4 RTs (Lane Johnson, Ricky Wagner, Donald Penn, and Rob Havenstein) that have an AAV of $8M+ in the NFL this year.  He's reportedly getting $8M+ per year.  That's a top 5 highest paid RT.

nvm

This is good news for Trubisky, continuity is huge on the OL. 

LT- Charles Leno Jr (Pro Bowl)

LG- James Daniels (All Rookie Team)

C- Cody Whitehair (Pro Bowl)

RG- Kyle Long (previous Pro bowler)

RT- Bobby Massie 

One of the better units in the league I’d say.

Really thought Massie was the one they'd let go and try to replace in the draft in order to re-sign Amos or Callahan. 

They had under 14 million dollars in effective cap space before this signing,

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

Looks like they'll definitely be cutting some players. 

Kyle Long - 2.5 million in savings (unlikely)
Trevathan - 5 million in savings (possible)
Sims - 5.5 million in savings (likely)
Acho - 1.8 million in savings (likely)

McManis - 1.5 million in savings

Cutting their two most-likely cut candidates basically pays for Massie, which is surprising to me since I definitely saw them letting Massie go in order to re-sign Amos or Callahan. 

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Really thought Massie was the one they'd let go and try to replace in the draft in order to re-sign Amos or Callahan. 

Cutting their two most-likely cut candidates basically pays for Massie, which is surprising to me since I definitely saw them letting Massie go in order to re-sign Amos or Callahan. 

I think cutting Kyle Long is more likely than cutting Trevathan, and restructuring Long's contract is the most likely scenario to deal with his cap.    Sims and Acho are as good as gone. 

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

The Bears really could only afford to bring back 1 of there 3 starting free agents [Massie, Amos, Callahan] at this point it seems like the other 2 will at least test the market.

Just now, WindyCity said:

The Bears really could only afford to bring back 1 of there 3 starting free agents [Massie, Amos, Callahan] at this point it seems like the other 2 will at least test the market.

I heard Amos and the Bears both want a deal but are VERY far apart on the number, and that he's using his high PFF rating from 2017 to justify it.  I have a feeling he's going to test the market.  Still hope we can tie up Callahan somehow.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

As I said, on face value that is true.

The narrative [over paid] it is pushing is a little misleading when you considering the large rises in the cap each year when comparing contracts from different years.

Massie got about what is average for free agent RTs.

Just now, WindyCity said:

As I said, on face value that is true.

The narrative it is pushing is a little misleading when you considering the large rises in the cap each year when comparing contracts from different years.

It really isn't though.  Teams backload contracts because they know the salary cap is going up.  Year 1 cap hit will always be lower than the last year of the contract.  So you're taking the average annual value.  It's constantly adjusting.  In a few years, the AAV of a RT will probably push Massie closer to the 8-12 range than the top 5 he currently is.  But for right now, his AAV is top 5.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

It really isn't though.  Teams backload contracts because they know the salary cap is going up.  Year 1 cap hit will always be lower than the last year of the contract.  So you're taking the average annual value.  It's constantly adjusting.  In a few years, the AAV of a RT will probably push Massie closer to the 8-12 range than the top 5 he currently is.  But for right now, his AAV is top 5.

I think we agree on the point that 5th highest is really pointless because of the constant movement of the cap and of the contracts that are being signed. 

My point is that Massie makes about what the average RT free agent makes in terms of percentage of the cap, which is really the best way we can compare deals that were signed in different years and with different caps.

RT free agents, not named Lane Johnson, make between 4-5% of the cap when they sign their deals. That is what I would use to determine whether someone if over paid compared to his peers.

Archived