Second Round WR - It’s Time

badgers0821

NE has been adding both expensive and top end free veteran agents (Gilmore, Revis) and more often less expensive options (Chris Long, Hogan, Clayborn, Burhkead, etc., etc., etc.) since forever.

NE has made more trades than any other NFL team over the past decade plus.

NE has done this because it realized that with a top QB/selecting late in the draft round after round it could not rely solely upon the draft to maintain a championship caliber roster.

NE's approach is in direct contrast to the rigid "draft & develop"/reliance upon young players philosophy of Gute's predecessor.

GB made fewer player trades (and none of note) than any other NFL team between 2008-2017 and signed the fewest number of unrestricted veteran free agents over those 10 years.

Given that Gute has already made 4 player trades in his year on the job and demonstrated a willingness to take part in veteran free agency it appears he prefers the Patriots approach to roster construction over the one employed by the previous GM.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, this is why New England is great though, which is what I'm beginning to realize.  Dorset provided them a deep threat.  Though he didn't provide deep results, he provided a deep THREAT.  

He was drafted in the first for that very reason.  So many teams expect too much out of first round picks, thus they bust.  Belichick just uses these recycled prospects for the skillset that made them go as high as they did.  

Phillip Dorsett wasn't used as their deep threat, Hogan was.  Dorsett was used as a possession WR who was best in the short passing game.  32 of his 42 targets this year were targets within 15 yards.  On his 10 targets beyond 15 yards he had 2 catches for 36 yards with no TDs (3 of Brady's 11 INTs were thrown on those 10 targets).  

14 minutes ago, SSG said:

Phillip Dorsett wasn't used as their deep threat, Hogan was.  Dorsett was used as a possession WR who was best in the short passing game.  32 of his 42 targets this year were targets within 15 yards.  On his 10 targets beyond 15 yards he had 2 catches for 36 yards with no TDs (3 of Brady's 11 INTs were thrown on those 10 targets).  

I clearly don't know Dorset. Fact remains, Belichick got use out of DOrsett.

On 1/30/2019 at 11:56 AM, Cadmus said:

Can we just trade for Taywan Taylor? Mariota doesn't know what he's doing with him. 

Funny, I am a TN fan and am curious why you choose him.  I loved him in college and he's got electric quickness and separation ability.  But of course those fans aren't used to having good receivers and don't understand that it takes time to come together in most cases.

Honestly, just sign DeVante Parker when he gets cut. He shouldn't cost much and would have serious potential across from Adams. 

I also like Tyrell, but someone... Probably a team like the Cardinals will give him too much $$ me thinks. 

11 hours ago, Cadmus said:

Honestly, just sign DeVante Parker when he gets cut. He shouldn't cost much and would have serious potential across from Adams. 

I also like Tyrell, but someone... Probably a team like the Cardinals will give him too much $$ me thinks. 

Can't wait for his one nice sideline catch next year in week 15 and the "I told you so" text! 

12 hours ago, Cadmus said:

If it hasn’t come together yet for Parker, why would it now? Rodgers has never jivved well with the freak athlete / poor mental capacity / poor route runner Type. 

Unless you blame that on MM. I think the answer lies somewhere in between and mostly on Rodgers court. I honestly bet Rodgers would prefer a Kumerow over a Parker. Most QBs probably would. 

16 hours ago, blankman0021 said:

If it hasn’t come together yet for Parker, why would it now? Rodgers has never jivved well with the freak athlete / poor mental capacity / poor route runner Type. 

Unless you blame that on MM. I think the answer lies somewhere in between and mostly on Rodgers court. I honestly bet Rodgers would prefer a Kumerow over a Parker. Most QBs probably would. 

So Rodgers prefers working with people who know how to do their jobs?  Why is that such a bad thing?  

18 hours ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

So Rodgers prefers working with people who know how to do their jobs?  Why is that such a bad thing?  

It’s not. :) But fans in general are so tied to name value and combine numbers from 4+ years ago that job competency isn’t always thought through. 

Parker has proven he isn’t reliable. I’m not going to pretend to know why, but he got the Janis effect in Miami. Just couldn’t get on the field! 

He may find greener pastures elsewhere and live up to his potential, but odds are not in his corner. 

On 2/15/2019 at 6:27 AM, Patriotplayer90 said:

I'd rather Rodgers himself just shuts up and does his own job well. Why is that such a bad thing?

On 2/14/2019 at 2:48 PM, blankman0021 said:

Because I firmly believe that production won't occur without opportunity. To be clear, Parker wasn't the bad route runner last season that he was as a rookie. 

Let's look at the positives for Parker --> 

1) The five closest WRs in terms of raw physical attributes are: Courtland Sutton, Tyrell Williams, Tim Patrick, Alshon Jeffery, and AJ Green. That's a very good group to belong to. 

2) Adam Gase is an absolute clown that doesn't know how to utilize the talent he has (see: Kenyan Drake). 

3) The QB play he's dealt with the last few years has been atrocious. Tannehill was 32nd in DVOA last season and Cutler was 25th in DVOA in 2017. 

4) Despite the QB play--- When he's gotten adequate volume he has performed. 

Parker was quite impressive in 2017 considering the QB situation and the CB competition he faced. 670 yards in 13 games might not blow you away, but when he got the ball he performed. 

In fact, let's look at all of Parker's 6+ target games. GB's #2 WR, if consistent, should expect anywhere between 95 and 125 targets.

2015: 6+ target games (5) ---in those games---> 412 yards, 40 targets (8 per) ---extrapolate--->  82.4 yards per game, 1318 yards (full season)

2016: 6+ target games (8) ---in those games---> 561 yards, 66 targets (8.25 per) ---extrapolate--->  70.1 yards per game, 1122 yards (full season)

2017: 6+ target games (10) ---in those games---> 654 yards, 88 targets (8.8 per) ---extrapolate--->  65.4 yards per game, 1046 yards (full season)

2018: 6+ target games (3) ---in those games---> 220 yards, 27 targets (9.0 per) ---extrapolate--->  73.3 yards per game, 1173 yards (full season)

Career: 6+ target games (26) ---in those games---> 1847 yards, 221 targets (8.5 per) ---extrapolate--->  71.0 yards per game, 1137 yards (full season)

Every single year he's performed when he's had opportunity. In 2017, he performed well while Cutler smoked a pack of cigarettes on the Dolphin's bench between offensive series. 

5) He can beat press and create separation at the catch point. Parker was bottom 20 in terms of WR cushion, but he was tied for 5th in terms of average separation at the catch point. Of the players ahead of him, 3 of the 4 WRs ran more than 50% of their routes out of the slot. 

6) Of course, I can peddle the numbers all I want, but the primary reason I like Parker is that he simply passes the eye test. He got stuck in a bad situation this year from the beginning. He lined up vs. Xavien Howard every day in TC and ultimately struggled a bit vs. such a talented CB... At that juncture, I pointed out to my friend that Howard is a helluva CB and is extremely underrated (then he becomes a 2nd team All-Pro this season). Parker finally starts to stack a few good days together and then he broke his finger in TC and ultimately got lost in the Gase machine for the rest of the season. 

My dream off-season (that could be semi-realistic/ we could actually afford) for the offense would probably be: 

Sign DeVante Parker 

Trade a 6th RD pick for Duke Johnson (then move him to WR) 

Sign CJ Uzomah 

Sign Ty Nsekhe 

On 2/16/2019 at 1:40 AM, blankman0021 said:

It’s not. :) But fans in general are so tied to name value and combine numbers from 4+ years ago that job competency isn’t always thought through. 

Parker has proven he isn’t reliable. I’m not going to pretend to know why, but he got the Janis effect in Miami. Just couldn’t get on the field! 

He may find greener pastures elsewhere and live up to his potential, but odds are not in his corner. 

He was on the field plenty in '17 with a garbage QB.

He got Gase'd in 2018 as I explained above. 

Archived