Second Round WR - It’s Time

badgers0821

Cobb is small, slow and injury prone. I dont want anything to do with him after this past year. 

The way Geronimo played before injury and having the young group of MVS/EQ/Moore, who are so damn talented, I'm satisfied with where we're at at WR. Throw in Allen Lazard, a 6'5 230lb 4.5 guy aswell, would love to see him add a little weight and giving TE a go. 

1 minute ago, ReadyToThump said:

Cobb is small, slow and injury prone. I dont want anything to do with him after this past year. 

The way Geronimo played before injury and having the young group of MVS/EQ/Moore, who are so damn talented, I'm satisfied with where we're at at WR. Throw in Allen Lazard, a 6'5 230lb 4.4 guy aswell, would love to see him add a little weight and giving TE a go. 

Expecting anything from Lazard at this point seems like a fools errand.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'm trying to prove a point that an opinion is being made on MVS in particular due to draft status.  IF he was a 2nd round pick, you'd be THRILLED with his production.  But because he's a 5th round pick, it's garbage stats or a byproduct of situation.  The reality is he was productive, and he deserves the benefit of the doubt.  If the Packers draft a WR in the second round, so be it.  But it's not because MVS was a 5th round pick.

MVS had a 5 game stetch last year with 7 catches and 61 yards.  It was the worst 5 game stretch this offense has EVER seen from a healthy starting WR (in the Mike McCarthy era, from what I can tell).  My opinion of him has nothing to do with his draft position.  It has to do with him being as bad of a starting WR as I've ever seen in this offense.  I view him in exactly the same light that I viewed Jarrett Boykin in 2013 or Jeff Janis after that miricle playoff game.  A depth guy that I don't want as an every week starter.   A couple of quility games means nothing when it comes to long term success.  Boykin showed us that just about any warm body in this offense is capable of 40 catches and 600 yards when given a starting role in the Green Bay Packers offense. 

Over that 5 game stretch we went 1-4.  Our offense was held to 17 points in 3 of the games.  We also were held to 7 or fewer points in the first or second half of 4 of those games.  

2 hours ago, SSG said:

MVS had a 5 game stetch last year with 7 catches and 61 yards.  It was the worst 5 game stretch this offense has EVER seen from a healthy starting WR (in the Mike McCarthy era, from what I can tell).  My opinion of him has nothing to do with his draft position.  It has to do with him being as bad of a starting WR as I've ever seen in this offense.  I view him in exactly the same light that I viewed Jarrett Boykin in 2013 or Jeff Janis after that miricle playoff game.  A depth guy that I don't want as an every week starter.   A couple of quility games means nothing when it comes to long term success.  Boykin showed us that just about any warm body in this offense is capable of 40 catches and 600 yards when given a starting role in the Green Bay Packers offense. 

Over that 5 game stretch we went 1-4.  Our offense was held to 17 points in 3 of the games.  We also were held to 7 or fewer points in the first or second half of 4 of those games.  

In those 5 games, MVS averaged 3.2 targets per game.  And that's heavily inflated by the fact that he had 7 targets in the Cardinals' game.  Without that, he averaged 2.3 targets per game.  If you don't get targets, you don't get receptions.  Plain and simple.  Ironically, Adams averaged 11.4 targets per game over that same time period.  The reality is that if he was a SRP, nobody would be clamoring to replace him.  Our offense became ridiculously one-dimensional.  It was throw the ball to Davante Adams every single play.

MVS is a 6'4" WR who ran a 4.37.  Jarrett Boykin is a 6'2" WR who ran a 4.67.  There's a stark difference.  And we all know Jeff Janis couldn't learn the playbook.

3 hours ago, SSG said:

This is not true. MVS did not have a 5-game starter stretch with those numbers.

He did, however, have a 5 game starter stretch where he had 21/362/2. Which expands to 67/1158/6 over 16 games.

31 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

This is not true. MVS did not have a 5-game starter stretch with those numbers.

He did, however, have a 5 game starter stretch where he had 21/362/2. Which expands to 67/1158/6 over 16 games.

Weeks 11 through 15?

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I think that goes without saying Pugger.  I don't think anyone is arguing that the Packers should go away from their board and draft for need  But if he value is close, what position are you passing on?  Are you going to wait to rebuild your OL until next year?  Are you going to wait to develop Jimmy Graham's replacement next year?  We only have so many picks, and you're not going to fix all of your issues in one offseason.  Right now, I'm more comfortable with MVS and ESB than I am with anyone in our safety groups.  I'm more comfortable with them than any of our OL that are on the bench.

It will depend upon if we address the OL guard position in FA.  I hope we draft a TE to eventually replace Graham in 2020.

16 hours ago, SSG said:

This is eerily similar to your past posts about Adams on another site. How'd that work out for you?

With MVS's measurables and had he played for Alabama, tOSU, Clemson, Oklahoma, etc rather than playing 2 years at NCST then transferring to South Florida he would be the second round pick that we are looking for in this draft.  Combine numbers of 6'4", 206 lbs, 32.25" arms, 10.25" hands, 4.37 forty time. I think that we just found our guy!

Archived